mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Archived Projects > NFSNET Discussion

Old 2007-03-03, 21:33   #1
WraithX

Mar 2006

10078 Posts
Default Questions about NFSNET...

Hello all,

For the past 14 hours I've been receiving IDLE assignments. I was wondering how can I fix this or start receiving assignments again? I am currently in the Bristol pool and my GUID is M00E01840CA51P0.

Also, I tried to send an e-mail to the nfsnet-l list and my e-mail bounced back to me saying that I was not a member. I haven't received any e-mail from the nfsnet-l since July of 2006. I thought it was because the list had been quiet, but now I think that I may have been inadvertently dropped from the list.

How can I find out what is going on in these two cases? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-David C.
Old 2007-03-03, 23:25   #2
WraithX

Mar 2006

10000001112 Posts

Well, my NFSNET client has been redirected and is happily sieving away again. I'd like to thank whoever helped with this, Richard?, Paul?, some other mysterious benefactor? Thank you!

I'm sending one more test message to the nfsnet-l, if that one bounces, I will just try re-joining the list. However, I am wondering, has there been any activity on that list since July 22nd of 2006? If so, is there any way I can get those e-mails that I didn't get? And if there wasn't, then has pretty much all nfsnet-l activity moved to this forum (or some other one)?

-David C.
Old 2007-03-03, 23:56   #3
Wacky

Jun 2003
The Texas Hill Country

100010000012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithX View Post
Well, my NFSNET client has been redirected and is happily sieving away again. I'd like to thank whoever helped with this, Richard?, Paul?, some other mysterious benefactor? Thank you!
Guilty!

I have not yet figured out what happened to the assignments in the "Bristol" pool. There should have been plenty to keep everyone busy for at least another week, if not a month. However, I checked the queue and found "when she got there, the cupboard was bare, and so the poor dog …" -- and I diverted everyone to an alternate pool.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to figure out which assignments "got lost" and re-queue them.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

As for the mailing list, I will have to try to figure out just what is happening, or not happening. As you suspected, the "traffic" on that list is VERY low. (and the "announce" list is even lower.)

Perhaps I need to just rebuild the whole communications structure.

I thank you for having enough interest in "our" project to attempt to be proactive when things do not seem to be functioning as they should.