Old 2022-08-25, 11:48   #78
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

3×52×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
If you decide 16GB isn't enough for your interests, I expect 8GB sticks work on most boards; my old old HP Z600 accepted 6 sticks of 8GB, and Xeon boards are usually capable of stout setups. 16GB sticks are much less certain- you'd have to look up specs for your board online.
I looked up the specs. The maximum it can use is 64 GB (8 x 8GB). There is a table of variations less than 64 using smaller modules. Mixes of 2's, 4's, and 8's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis
I have RAM in the mail to you to go to 16GB, so wait until next week to try a job bigger than C145 please.
Thank you very much. Most kind. I had not planned to run anything further with CADO until I could increase the RAM.

storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-29, 19:11   #79
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

3×52×31 Posts

VBCurtis requested an acknowledgment of the receipt of the six RAM modules he sent to me. I found them in my mailbox today. I greatly appreciate his effort and kindness.

I installed 4 of the 6 he sent and started running a test with RSA-100 on CADO. After several minutes, the system rebooted. I decided I would alter the invocation line slightly and was in the process of going that when it rebooted again. When it restarted, I went into the BIOS setup to see if there was anything relative there. This is when it rebooted a third time. I cut to power off at this point.

To my knowledge, the four RAM slots I added to today had not been used prior. Certainly not be me. I will go back and remove the added modules and clean the four slots with canned air. I will put the RAM sticks back in making sure they are properly seated and latched.

There is a speed difference. The original RAM in the machine is 1600. The ones I received today are 1333. There is no way to compensate for this in the BIOS. I would think the speed would be lowered to match the slowest RAM. These reboots in strange places makes me think this may not be happening. In this instance, they all may need to be the same. Mixing will not work.
Old 2022-08-29, 20:43   #80
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

5,471 Posts

I agree with your guess that the mismatched RAM speed is the cause of your reboots; I too am surprised that the BIOS/board didn't automatically slow down the memory clock for the 1333 sticks.

If there's no BIOS option to set memory speed (many Xeon boards have few-to-no such options), I'm afraid your new memory is of no use. :(
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-29, 23:14   #81
PhilF

"6800 descendent"
Feb 2005
Colorado

2D516 Posts

You might try putting the slower RAM in place of the current RAM. That might make it run at 1333, then when you put the 1600 Mhz RAM in the other slots they will probably run at 1333 also, thereby stabilizing the system.

It's a long shot, but worth a try.
PhilF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-30, 00:06   #82
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

3×52×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I agree with your guess that the mismatched RAM speed is the cause of your reboots; I too am surprised that the BIOS/board didn't automatically slow down the memory clock for the 1333 sticks.

If there's no BIOS option to set memory speed (many Xeon boards have few-to-no such options), I'm afraid your new memory is of no use. :(
I think you know that I am a bit of a wolverine when I get ahold of something...

This system has fan shrouds over the RAM groups. I removed the shrouds and gave each stick a firm, but cautious downward press. I didn't notice anything move that I could feel.

There is a console based program called Memtest86. Are you familiar with it? It is a small ISO that is burned onto a compact disc and is bootable. I burned it onto a mini-CD years ago.

It's been running on the Xeon for over an hour. After I did the press check, I let it boot into Ubuntu and it sat for probably 20 minutes, no problems. Both recognize 16GB.

I am thinking my slot cleaning idea may not be as farfetched as it seemed. I have an unused can of air-duster here. This would best be done with the case standing up so anything coming loose with drop to the bottom

Let me know what you think!!!
Old 2022-08-30, 23:33   #83
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

24·5·7·19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I think you know that I am a bit of a wolverine when I get ahold of something... [SNIP] Let me know what you think!!!
Generally a good trait. But be careful about rabbit holes that lead nowhere...

Question everything. That includes questioning the questioning...

Is it worth the time, or can you go "meta" and still get the job done?

Sorry... I'm "in that mode"...
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-08-31, 16:11   #84
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

3×52×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
Generally a good trait. But be careful about rabbit holes that lead nowhere...

Question everything. That includes questioning the questioning...

Is it worth the time, or can you go "meta" and still get the job done?

Sorry... I'm "in that mode"...
No apologies needed.

At times, there are rabbit holes aplenty around here. Another way to put it is being lead by the nose. There has been some of that lately. After a while, I just shrug it off and move on. I need to greatly reduce the time I waste on such things. Much of this could be avoided by far more reading and far less asking questions. There is a wealth of information here. Sometimes, the trick is finding it.
Old 2022-09-04, 20:27   #85
charybdis

Apr 2020

32·5·19 Posts

For the record, the bug in linear algebra first reported in post #18 should now have been fixed.
charybdis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-09-10, 16:44   #86
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
Not U. + S.A.

3×52×31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charybdis View Post
For the record, the bug in linear algebra first reported in post #18 should now have been fixed.
It has. I have ran several large composites with no problems.