24·13·53 Posts

Abdul Qadeer Khan: 'Father of Pakistan's nuclear bomb' dies
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-10, 09:40   #1784
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2·3·293 Posts

Frits Veerman died earlier this year, too.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-10, 13:02   #1785
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×2,557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Frits Veerman died earlier this year, too.
More on Frits Veerman's role as a "whistle blower," and the unfair and unjust treatment higher-ups meted out to him therefor, may be found here. Apparently he died on February 23, 2021. The article concludes,
Quote:
It is likely that commercial interests explain to a large extent why Veerman's s efforts in the 1970s were ignored, but what else played a role is unclear. There are still many unanswered questions in the Khan Affair, related to events in the Netherlands, the United States, Pakistan and elsewhere. Getting to the bottom of them would help make non-proliferation policy more effective.
I had a vague recollection of a US case involving Pakistan's efforts to get bomb technology during the Reagan Administration. Some googling filled in details. A Pakistani named Nazir Ahmed Vaid was caught trying to buy 50 krytron switches and export them to Pakistan without going through the stringent export licensing process for these things. The case was publicized in the New York Times, and also on the PBS documentary series Frontline, in an episode entitled Buying the Bomb, which I watched at the time (March 1985).

What became of the Vaid case was clearly political meddling to sweep the case under the rug. I recalled Vaid's lawyer being on the program and saying something about the strange developments in the case. I was able to find something about it on a Google Books page for a book about Khan, The Nuclear Jihadist: The True Story of the Man Who Sold the World's Most Dangerous Secrets...And How We Could Have Stopped Him by Douglas Frantz and Catherine Collins. I transcribed one paragraph as a fair-use excerpt:
Quote:
The case appeared to be a clear example of Pakistan's nuclear intentions and its willingness to flout U.S. law. In the months that followed, however, the case took a strange turn. Federal prosecutors mysteriously agreed to rewrite the indictment, removing references to nuclear weapons and Vaid's role as a Pakistani agent. In addition, the judge handling the case issued a gag order on everyone involved. Both developments were so unusual that Vaid's own lawyer, William Burge, was surprised. He said he did not understand the government's actions but assumed the changes were orchestrated because Pakistan was an American ally. "The case apparently was embarrassing to the Government of Pakistan and they didn't want any more publicity than was necessary," said Burge.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-10-10 at 13:25 Reason: xignif topsy
Dr Sardonicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-16, 13:44   #1786
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,557 Posts

Timuel Black
Quote:
Civil rights leader Timuel Black died Wednesday at the age of 102, according to a statement from the University of Chicago where he obtained a master's degree in 1954.

"He marched with Martin Luther King Jr., campaigned for Chicago mayor Harold Washington, mentored a young Barack Obama and helped bring the Obama Presidential Center to the South Side," the university said of the civil rights leader in a statement.

Black also helped end segregation in the Chicago Public Schools district through his work as an educator and administrator, the university said.
<snip>
Old 2021-10-18, 12:36   #1787
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×2,557 Posts

Colin Powell
Quote:
Gen. Colin Powell, the influential former secretary of state and chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who played a pivotal policy role during the administration of then-President George W. Bush, died Monday at 84 from complications related to COVID-19, his family announced.

"We have lost a remarkable and loving husband, father, grandfather and a great American," his family said in a statement, adding that he was fully vaccinated.
EDIT: According to NBC News,
Quote:
Powell had multiple myeloma, a cancer of a type of white blood cell.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-10-18 at 15:05 Reason: As indicated
Old 2021-10-18, 14:37   #1788
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×2,557 Posts

Betty Lynn
Quote:
MOUNT AIRY, N.C. (AP) - Betty Lynn, the film and television actor who was best known for her role as Barney Fife's sweetheart Thelma Lou on "The Andy Griffith Show," has died. She was 95.
Old 2021-10-22, 07:33   #1789
Nick

Dec 2012
The Netherlands

2·3·293 Posts

Bernard Haitink,the world-famous Dutch conductor.
Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-27, 15:45   #1790
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·2,557 Posts

Mort Sahl
Quote:
NEW YORK (AP) β€” Satirist Mort Sahl, who helped revolutionize stand-up comedy during the Cold War with his running commentary on politicians and current events and became a favorite of a new, restive generation of Americans, died Tuesday. He was 94.

His friend Lucy Mercer said that he died "peacefully" at his home in Mill Valley, California. The cause was "old age," she said.
Old 2021-10-27, 20:14   #1791
diep

Sep 2006
The Netherlands

11·71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
More on Frits Veerman's role as a "whistle blower," and the unfair and unjust treatment higher-ups meted out to him therefor, may be found here. Apparently he died on February 23, 2021. The article concludes,

I had a vague recollection of a US case involving Pakistan's efforts to get bomb technology during the Reagan Administration. Some googling filled in details. A Pakistani named Nazir Ahmed Vaid was caught trying to buy 50 krytron switches and export them to Pakistan without going through the stringent export licensing process for these things. The case was publicized in the New York Times, and also on the PBS documentary series Frontline, in an episode entitled Buying the Bomb, which I watched at the time (March 1985).

What became of the Vaid case was clearly political meddling to sweep the case under the rug. I recalled Vaid's lawyer being on the program and saying something about the strange developments in the case. I was able to find something about it on a Google Books page for a book about Khan, The Nuclear Jihadist: The True Story of the Man Who Sold the World's Most Dangerous Secrets...And How We Could Have Stopped Him by Douglas Frantz and Catherine Collins. I transcribed one paragraph as a fair-use excerpt:
Of course i could follow the affairs of Veerman in my native language Dutch. The unclearness is basically how intelligence agencies messed up major league and how they start investigations always too late over here.

Even today you could rob anything here and get away and then 2 years later the investigation would start.

Much of the documentaries are not good in factorization of facts. First there is the espionage. Then the guy was gone. So after that the companies over here, but even more German companies thought: "heh now all this has happened we can sell some stuff to there". This 'opportunistic' manner of doing business is quite logical. Any conspiracies as that inteligence agencies here would be more clever than they are are total rubbish.

Conspiracies pretending government is smarter than they are - look how naive they deal with the covid here.

The conspiracies mainly served the purpose that the companies in question didn't need to pay huge fines for the way how they have been busy with their responsibility. Banana republic practices if i may say so.

I do not see any improvement there at governmental level.
diep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-06, 15:17   #1792
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

134318 Posts

At least 8 attendees of a concert in Houston TX last night: https://www.shorenewsnetwork.com/202...-travis-scott/

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-11-06 at 15:18
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-11-07, 07:14   #1793
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

34·73 Posts

"Police in Houston, Texas, have opened a criminal investigation into the deaths at the Astroworld festival on Friday.

At least eight people died and scores of people were hurt after a crowd surge on the opening night of the music event in Houston, Texas.

The victims were between the ages of 14 and 27.

Police are also investigating claims a security officer was injected in the neck while trying to restrain a concert-goer."
Narcan was administered to numerous people including the security officer who had gone unconscious.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-59194819

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2021-11-07 at 07:14
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote