mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2019-07-22, 23:28   #1
hansl

Apr 2019

5×41 Posts
Default ECM manual assignments and # of curves

I picked up some manual assignments of unfactored small exponents between 2M and 3M, and it looks like it defaulted to 150 curves.

I'm just wondering is it ok to manually edit this worktodo values to reduce the number of curves per exponent, or will primenet think the work is not complete if I do that?

The manual assignment page doesn't ask how many curves you want to do, how is this determined? Is it based on optimal # of curves - [# already done] or does it just default to 150 at a time for manual assignments or something else?

I'm mainly curious because I see the other ECM work previously done on these exponents was only 3 curves at a time.
hansl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-22, 23:59   #2
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

7,907 Posts
Question

Do however many curves you wish. The server will be happy (you may need to manually unreserve the assignment after reporting results).
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-23, 06:12   #3
GP2

Sep 2003

2·3·431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansl View Post
I'm just wondering is it ok to manually edit this worktodo values to reduce the number of curves per exponent, or will primenet think the work is not complete if I do that?
Yes, you can reduce the number of curves.

But after editing the worktodo.txt file, you should create an empty file called worktodo.add or worktodo.add.txt, otherwise the program will simply overwrite and ignore your changes. This empty file will be "processed" and deleted at the end of the next DiskWriteTime interval (default = 30 minutes in the prime.txt file).

I have done this before. The program will do the reduced number of curves and then the assignment will be completed.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-23, 11:57   #4
lycorn

"GIMFS"
Sep 2002
Oeiras, Portugal

22×32×43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP2 View Post
But after editing the worktodo.txt file, you should create an empty file called worktodo.add or worktodo.add.txt, otherwise the program will simply overwrite and ignore your changes. This empty file will be "processed" and deleted at the end of the next DiskWriteTime interval (default = 30 minutes in the prime.txt file).
Or, after editing the worktodo.txt file, you may as well right click on the green Prime95 icon, choose Stop from the menu, then click on Continue. The program will take in to account the changes you have just made and will not overwrite the file.
lycorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-23, 15:19   #5
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

144C16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
Or, after editing the worktodo.txt file, you may as well right click on the green Prime95 icon, choose Stop from the menu, then click on Continue. The program will take in to account the changes you have just made and will not overwrite the file.
In my experience...which may be misled.
1. Stop
2. Edit worktodo.txt
3. Continue
I thought Stop wrote back the file from cache and closed it.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-07-23, 16:38   #6
GP2

Sep 2003

2×3×431 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycorn View Post
Yes, that is simpler if you are using the Windows version, with a user interface. On a Linux box where mprime is configured to start at boot time, it may be easier just to manipulate things by combining an edit with the creation of an empty worktodo.add file.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote