Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Old 2007-03-08, 10:37   #1
rgiltrap

Apr 2006
Down Under

5916 Posts
Default Google Summer of Code

The planning is underway for the Google Summer of Code 2007

The OpenSolaris community are currently discussing projects to provide mentoring for.

My thoughts were that a reasonable project would be...

1) Compile/port mprime, Mlucas & Glucas to all run on OpenSolaris (obviously this is about projects which contribute to OpenSolaris)

2) Tune the software to run efficiently on AMD64/EMT64 environment (the growth area for OpenSolaris adoption)

3) Write a Gnome applet to monitor LL progress (like the Prime95 one on Windows) that works on OpenSolaris, Linux & BSD

This is what came off the top of my head, but I wanted to throw out this idea to the Mersenne community to get feedback. Final submissions must be in by Monday so I have a day or two to hear from you all.

Thanks, Rob.
rgiltrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-11, 21:08   #2
rgiltrap

Apr 2006
Down Under

1318 Posts

I have managed to get this project onto the initial shortlist for the OpenSolaris suggested projects for the Google Summer of Code 2007.

Go look at spot Number 1

Comments, concerns and suggestions welcomed.
Old 2007-03-12, 07:24   #3
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiltrap View Post
I have managed to get this project onto the initial shortlist for the OpenSolaris suggested projects for the Google Summer of Code 2007.

Go look at spot Number 1

Comments, concerns and suggestions welcomed.
Instead of framing this as "Search for Mersenne Primes", which will limit its appeal, instead propose it as porting FFT tools (and other parts which have more general application than only Mersennes). That could apply to lots of math beyond primes.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-12, 17:07   #4
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

32×1,303 Posts

Nice idea Rob - though I agree that (if possible) 'twould be good to frame the effort more broadly: cite the m-prime search tools as one particular application of big-FFT techniques.

Anything we can do to get the folks writing the compilers to help with debug (at this point more often of the compiler than the M-prime code) and optimization, is a good thing, I say. :TU:
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 03:29   #5
Peter Nelson

Oct 2004

232 Posts

Re Google summer of code projects...

Well in my opinion I think that this project is traditionally focussed on projects with more open style licenses like GPL.

We know there are limitations in using prime95/mprime therefore it's not as open as people like.

Whilst I would welcome some work on a gui in GTK to operate mprime, I don't know if it could be easily integrated with the code George wrote and released under his own license terms.

Perhaps the project could be rephrased as development of projects for computational number theory, factoring, sieving, fast FFT etc.

In my opinion whilst more coding input would be nice, I don't think we should be taking the "summer of code" dev time (/funding) to work on prime95/mprime itself.

I would personally favour the summer of code devs to work on optimising the GMP libraries from swox to work better on 64 bit processors, including AMD, because that would benefit a lot of projects (and more efficient calcs, mean less computer time, thus less global warming, right?)
Peter Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 14:13   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nelson View Post
We know there are limitations in using prime95/mprime therefore it's not as open as people like.
< snip >
the code George wrote and released under his own license terms.
That wouldn't have to apply to non-prime-testing (I first wrote non-Mersenne-testing, but that's not general enough) use of George's FFT code, I think, because there'd be no EFF prize involved. But I agree that it's a consideration in porting his specifically-GIMPSish stuff.

How about splitting the licensing, to explicitly eliminate restrictions related to EFF prizes, for open-source purposes, wherever FFT code is used in a non-prime-testing application for which there is no relevant EFF prize?

Quote:
(and more efficient calcs, mean less computer time, thus less global warming, right?)
... unless, of course, you're running a distributed computing project that not only takes up all the otherwise-idle CPU cycles, but also, in GIMPS's case, makes more intense use of electricity-consuming, heat-producing circuitry during its execution than almost any other interrupting task can during its time slices !!.

If that case, more efficient calculations, if that improvement comes from more intense use of instruction pipelines and/or FPU, can not only increase electric use and heat production during the times those applications have interrupted the idle priority, but also leave more time for the electric/heat-intensive idle-priority distributed project application! Double whammy.

... unless you're strong-willed, and eco-thoughtful, enough to refrain from using the extra otherwise-idle time to process more distributed computing project workunits per unit of time than you would have before the more-efficient foreground application arrived, that is.

BUT I'm just being picky -- the differences are unlikely to exceed a small percentage, and don't hurt in the large fraction of cases where there's no CPU-intensive task running in background.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2007-03-13 at 14:28
Old 2007-03-13, 18:28   #7
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

32×1,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
How about splitting the licensing, to explicitly eliminate restrictions related to EFF prizes,
Glucas and Mlucas both currently have no prize-related restrictions and are available under the GPL.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-13, 20:33   #8
rgiltrap

Apr 2006
Down Under

10110012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Nelson View Post
Whilst I would welcome some work on a gui in GTK to operate mprime, I don't know if it could be easily integrated with the code George wrote and released under his own license terms.
I was thinking of something that was independent and manually configured. It would look at the worktodo file, read the last line of the stat file and show a % complete and calculate a likely end date/time based on the last lot of iteration times. Nothing to flash, more a starting point and appropriately licensed so George, Ernst, Guillermo etc could make use of it if they choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer
Glucas and Mlucas both currently have no prize-related restrictions and are available under the GPL.
So when I find M45 using Mlucas the prize is all mine mine MINE bwahahahaha

Okay, maybe I'll send Ernst a packet of chocolate chip cookies for all his good work
Old 2007-03-15, 19:34   #9
rgiltrap

Apr 2006
Down Under

89 Posts

Yay! Step 1 has been achieved. OpenSolaris has been accepted as a mentoring organization.

If there are any students on this list or you know of any students who may wish to flip bits instead of burgers over summer, that may be interested in a project like this, then be sure to submit an application (I am happy to assist with this).
Old 2007-05-24, 02:00   #10
rgiltrap

Apr 2006
Down Under

89 Posts

FYI, We got a student accepted to do this work.. OpenSoalris GSoC

Just had the start work meeting today but I'll leave it up to Tom to tell you what he's doing.
Old 2007-05-24, 06:27   #11
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

1E0C16 Posts

Gee, I should've signed up for some classes so I could've applied.

I envy you kids.

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2007-05-24 at 06:31