mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > New To GIMPS? Start Here! > Information & Answers

Old 2017-08-08, 02:59   #1
iamue

"UE Lin"
Aug 2017
Taipei Taiwan

2 Posts
Exclamation Hibernate cycle when working with Prime95?

I have some questions:

Q1: Has anyone had good or bad experiences with putting a computer on hibernate cycle when working with prime95?
Q2: Or should I not test it like above test?

My laptop operating system is Win10 (with 8GB ram)
[Test steps]
1.Run Prime95(29.2) -> Blend(tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested)
2.Run Microsoft pwrtest tool -> command: pwrtest.exe /sleep /s:4 /d:60 /p:60 /c:9999
( It's S4-Hibernate cycle)
3.Test around 48 hours

And I got the Blue Screen
"0x0000001a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

====Summarize my test results====
Test Prime95 only: Pass => Blend(tests some of everything, lots of RAM tested)
Test Hibernate cycle only: Pass => Command: pwrtest.exe /sleep /s:4 /d:60 /p:60 /c:9999
Test Prime95 + Hibernate Cycle : FAIL

Note: Hibernate mode is very similar to sleep, but instead of saving your open documents and running applications to your RAM, it saves them to your hard disk. This allows your computer to turn off entirely, which means once your computer is in Hibernate mode, it uses zero power. Once the computer is powered back on, it will resume everything where you left off. It just takes a bit longer to resume than sleep mode does (though with an SSD, the difference isn’t as noticeable as it is with traditional hard drives).
Info from: https://www.howtogeek.com/102897/wha...te-in-windows/
iamue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 13:45   #2
thyw

Feb 2016
! North_America

10110002 Posts

I have had problems with win 10 and fast boot/startup... Also the hiberfile is not full (~20-40%) on default. Didn't test these as my computer isn't win10.
I heard it in these days SSD wear is not an issue, but just so you know hibernate will make it wear out faster.
From the sources:
powercfg /h /type full
powercfg /h /size 0
powercfg /h /size 100

Source:
https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...-win-10-a.html
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
thyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-08, 17:14   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!

Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

23×7×137 Posts

Let me rephrase the original question. I suspect the poster is part of a QA team for a motherboard manufacturer. Why? I get 3-5 questions from such people each year and someone really running prime95 wouldn't ever let their machine hibernate. Anyway, here goes:

If prime95 fails when hibernating, is there any chance this could represent a hardware/motherboard/bios problem?

Is anyone able to give it a try on their own system? If it happens on several motherboards, we can fairly safely conclude it is an OS issue.
Prime95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-09, 01:32   #4
potonono

Jun 2005
USA, IL

110000012 Posts

I have Prime95 running on a laptop that is only on about 8.75 hours a day, and is hibernating the rest of the time. When double-checks were much smaller, it was running those, but I switched it to just ECM a while ago since it would hold up the precious milestones if holding onto a double-check. I did have an issue back then with double-checks when hibernating where Prime95 would sometimes lose work and have to start from a prior save when coming out of hibernation. I now always stop Prime95 before hibernating just to be sure no work is lost. It is a Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 7 (32-bit). I've never had any blue screen error though.
potonono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-09, 05:15   #5
iamue

"UE Lin"
Aug 2017
Taipei Taiwan

216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyw View Post
I have had problems with win 10 and fast boot/startup... Also the hiberfile is not full (~20-40%) on default. Didn't test these as my computer isn't win10.
I heard it in these days SSD wear is not an issue, but just so you know hibernate will make it wear out faster.
From the sources:
powercfg /h /type full
powercfg /h /size 0
powercfg /h /size 100

Source:
https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...-win-10-a.html
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...dows-10-a.html
Hi thyw,

Thank for your information:)
The default value 20~40% may not be suitable for this test case (Prime95 + Hibernate cycle)
Maybe I can test with "powercfg /h size 100" for hiberfil.sys, in order to completely save the full memory into hard drive and completely restore the same state as system is turned on again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Let me rephrase the original question. I suspect the poster is part of a QA team for a motherboard manufacturer. Why? I get 3-5 questions from such people each year and someone really running prime95 wouldn't ever let their machine hibernate. Anyway, here goes:

If prime95 fails when hibernating, is there any chance this could represent a hardware/motherboard/bios problem?

Is anyone able to give it a try on their own system? If it happens on several motherboards, we can fairly safely conclude it is an OS issue.
Hi Prime95,

Thank your for your reply:) It's very helpful for me !!

Yes! I am part of the QA team member.

I also tested other brands of machines and also had "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" blue screen problem.
I tried to think that this test case was not a good test, because it's kind of unpredictable...
And like you said, most people running Prime95 wouldn't ever let their machine hibernate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potonono View Post
I have Prime95 running on a laptop that is only on about 8.75 hours a day, and is hibernating the rest of the time. When double-checks were much smaller, it was running those, but I switched it to just ECM a while ago since it would hold up the precious milestones if holding onto a double-check. I did have an issue back then with double-checks when hibernating where Prime95 would sometimes lose work and have to start from a prior save when coming out of hibernation. I now always stop Prime95 before hibernating just to be sure no work is lost. It is a Lenovo Thinkpad running Windows 7 (32-bit). I've never had any blue screen error though.
Hi potonono,

Thank you for the information :)
From my side, when the system came back from hibernation, Prime95 continued to work, never lost.

Last fiddled with by iamue on 2017-08-09 at 06:09
iamue is offline   Reply With Quote