Old 2019-08-20, 16:03   #1
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

2×3×1,693 Posts
Default Learned something new about Chrome

software_reporter_tool.exe
I saw this file name pop up in a Norton "This file is safe" box, and wondered what it is. Having found out, I followed the "block" procedure.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/ho...rter_tool-exe/
Software Reporter Tool, the executable file is software_reporter_tool.exe, is a tool that Google distributes with the Google Chrome web browser.
It is part of the Chrome Cleanup Tool which in turn may remove software that causes issues with Chrome. Google mentions crashes, modified startup or new tab pages, or unexpected advertisement specifically. Anything that interferes with a user's browsing experience may be removed by the tool.
------------------------------

Google Chrome users may have two main issues with the Software Reporter Tool:
  • It may cause a high system load when it scans the system. User reports range from it using 30% and more CPU while running. Since it may run for as long as 20 minutes, that is something that may interfere with other activity on the computer.
  • The tool informs Google about the scan results which some users may dislike because of privacy concerns.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-20, 17:03   #2
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×23×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
The tool informs [the company] about the scan results ...
This is normal operating procedure for companies these days, sadly. Many companies feel they have the right to monitor and control the user's systems in order to make their product(s) "better", or to "improve your experience".

Naturally it's all for your protection.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-20, 17:27   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

24×13×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
software_reporter_tool.exe
I saw this file name pop up in a Norton "This file is safe" box, and wondered what it is. Having found out, I followed the "block" procedure.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/01/20/ho...rter_tool-exe/
Software Reporter Tool, the executable file is software_reporter_tool.exe, is a tool that Google distributes with the Google Chrome web browser.
It is part of the Chrome Cleanup Tool which in turn may remove software that causes issues with Chrome. Google mentions crashes, modified startup or new tab pages, or unexpected advertisement specifically. Anything that interferes with a user's browsing experience may be removed by the tool.
------------------------------

Google Chrome users may have two main issues with the Software Reporter Tool:
  • It may cause a high system load when it scans the system. User reports range from it using 30% and more CPU while running. Since it may run for as long as 20 minutes, that is something that may interfere with other activity on the computer.
  • The tool informs Google about the scan results which some users may dislike because of privacy concerns.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of this bit of Google evilness and don't do Windoze by and large. However, SWMBO's machine has now been disinfected and my telescope control system will be done later today. I've also passed the news around to colleagues.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 05:08   #4
Bulldozer

Jun 2019

3×7 Posts

I use Microsoft Edge.

Last fiddled with by Bulldozer on 2019-08-21 at 05:33
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 05:14   #5
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

For mathematicians: Let X be a program. Let x be another program (usually installed by X) which deletes, or alters in any way, programs that interfere with X. Delete X and x and install Y which does not have some y companion, it does the same thing as X, faster and better. Problem solved.

Who the hack needs Chrome nowadays? The main issue is not reporting to the base (as said in the past, we are just a "shoes factory", not NASA, see the relevant posts), but the fact (which is known for a long time) that Chrome, beside of making your system slower, may kill some important programs or apps you have in the system, into which you invested important work in the past, because they are some "unknown" stuff (of course! I am talking here about proprietary java apps!) which, he believes, interfere with his own majesty...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-08-21 at 05:24
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 05:34   #6
Bulldozer

Jun 2019

1516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
For mathematicians: Let X be a program. Let x be another program (usually installed by X) which deletes, or alters in any way, programs that interfere with X. Delete X and x and install Y which does not have some y companion, it does the same thing as X, faster and better. Problem solved.

Who the hack needs Chrome nowadays? The main issue is not reporting to the base (as said in the past, we are just a "shoes factory", not NASA, see the relevant posts), but the fact (which is known for a long time) that Chrome, beside of making your system slower, may kill some important programs or apps you have in the system, into which you invested important work in the past, because they are some "unknown" stuff (of course! I am talking here about proprietary java apps!) which, he believes, interfere with his own majesty...
So just use Edge or Firefox.

Last fiddled with by Bulldozer on 2019-08-21 at 05:35
Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 05:35   #7
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

630210 Posts

Coming to a popup dialog box soon:

Chrome has detected suspicious activity on your system.
A program called "Prime95" is using excessive CPU time.
It is also writing random data to the disk periodically.
It is also communicating with a command-and-control remote server.
For your protection Chrome has securely erased the program and all the data.
You are welcome.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-21, 05:38   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

32·1,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
So just use Edge or Firefox.