Go Back > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > storm5510

Thread Tools
Old 2020-03-05, 13:38   #1
Random Account
storm5510's Avatar
Aug 2009

37318 Posts
Default Riesel Prime Search

I got into the Riesel prime search early in February. There was a bit of a learning curve as to how this was done and what software needed to be used.

The main testing application, LLR, is quite straightforward. It simply requires an input file in the proper format. This is a deterministic application, which runs Lucas-Lehmer tests. I started out with PFGW. It is probabilistic, running PRP tests on candidates. For this project, the results must be absolute. No probably. Very early on, I was instructed to use LLR and not PFGW. The difference really didn't click with me at the start. It didn't take long to realize the need for LLR. I run LLR on two machines: One i7 and one i5. There is a speed difference. I have found a way to compensate for this. I wrote a small console binary which splits the sieve results into two separate files. 60% goes to the i7 and the other 40% to the i5. It works quite well. I also wrote a Windows GUI variant which performs the same exact task.

Sieving: This is still in experiment mode, more or less. I started out sieving with NewPGen. Several members here indicated that I need to be using the "sr" family of programs. These include srsieve, srsieve2, sr1sieve, and sr2sieve. These are faster. The last two have an option to run low-priority and I use it.

The question then became, "How far do I need to sieve?" Some reading in the forums indicated many had their own ways. Some like to run to a set p limit. An example would be 700e9 (700-billion). This route can be, and most often is, very time consuming. Two members I corresponded with suggested that I do this as a function of time, not size. Most sieve applications have a "removal rate," the interval in seconds at which factors are found. The longer the run, the lower the rate becomes. A removal rate of 60 seconds is much lower than a rate of 6 seconds.

The next issue was where to sieve. Running LLR and sieving on the same machine creates a significant bottleneck for LLR. Doing so added an extra 10 to 12 seconds for each n in the input file. I had a third option, a Dell laptop. It is a dual-core i5. This laptop was not designed to do this sort of work. So, it is low priority. Heat is problematic for laptops. It sits on a cooling device with five fans. This made a real difference. This is where the sieving process has nested. It is not fast, but it does a good job. I am running NewPGen on it for several reasons. One, it is a GUI application which is easy to use, and for me to see. Two, it has several options to limit the sieving time: Removal rate, p size, and the number of hours. Finally, there is no need to rush to save time for the two LLR machines. Not pushing the laptop beyond its capability is my primary concern. I do not want to shorten its life more than necessary.

And so it goes...
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dual Sierpinski/Riesel prime sweety439 Conjectures 'R Us 0 2016-12-07 15:01
Very Prime Riesel and Sierpinski k robert44444uk Open Projects 587 2016-11-13 15:26
Welcome to "Riesel Prime Search" Kosmaj Riesel Prime Search 21 2012-09-14 09:51
Riesel Primorial k Search Merfighters Open Projects 1 2010-07-29 14:52
Prime in Riesel Sieve Project Sloth Prime Sierpinski Project 1 2006-05-10 02:02

All times are UTC. The time now is 22:38.

Thu Jan 27 22:38:04 UTC 2022 up 188 days, 17:07, 2 users, load averages: 1.81, 1.52, 1.45

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔