Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Hobbies > Chess

Old 2012-09-28, 04:04   #1
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·13·307 Posts
Default Our favorite variant of chess

It looks simple, but…

(A lot of the time we play without the king pieces.)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chess.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	8673  
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 06:45   #2
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

52·7·53 Posts

That pavement still looks broken, especially around the black king...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 16:46   #3
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7×467 Posts

Do you know if your variant is playable on some chess servers, Xyzzy? It doesn't seem to be available on chessclub.com where I occasionally show my face. They do have this one which is called "wild 7", starting position as depicted below. I've never tried it, but it looks more immediately "hectic" than Xyzzy's, whose variant probably allows some more positional buildup involving pawn structures and potentially weak squares and paths where the opposing king might penetrate before any queening race starts (is that right?).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c1.png
Views:	149
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	8677  
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 17:59   #4
Zeta-Flux

May 2003

60B16 Posts

I like the version where white has only his king and the 4 middle pawns, while black has all his pieces. Fortunately, white has two moves a turn.

The other one I like is backwards chess (where you have to take a piece if you can, and you want your opponent to take your king).

Bughouse, of course, is a classic.
Zeta-Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-28, 21:43   #5
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

174568 Posts

Quote:
Do you know if your variant is playable on some chess servers, Xyzzy?
We have never seen it.

We learned to play chess (and we teach it this way as well) with just pawns at first.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 09:24   #6
Brian-E

"Brian"
Jul 2007
The Netherlands

7·467 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We have never seen it.

We learned to play chess (and we teach it this way as well) with just pawns at first.

That sounds like a very good way of teaching the game. The pupil can start playing before all the piece moves are known. Chapeau!
Brian-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 11:35   #7
davieddy

"Lucan"
Dec 2006
England

2×3×13×83 Posts

It is well worth looking into K+P v K.

There is a non-intuitive move to force stalemate.

D
davieddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-29, 15:08   #8
Raman
Noodles

"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3·419 Posts

Not to restrain from mentioning within the following chess variants
AntiChess

chess 960

Last fiddled with by Raman on 2012-09-29 at 15:09
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 15:49   #9
Raman
Noodles

"Mr. Tuch"
Dec 2007
Chennai, India

3×419 Posts

Right now, the following are my favourite variants of chess:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
  1. Anti Chess (One who loses all pieces first or gets checkmate first is
    winner, capturing is compulsory like in checkers game and there is also
    a four player variant of this anti chess game)
  2. Fischer Random Chess (Modern chess game is heavily dominated by books,
    so play chess 960 and use your own brains for opening. Some variants
    give one side a huge advantage, so two games are needed to be played
    in such cases or choose a configuration in which no starting arrangement
    advantage for either side is actually there)
  3. 10 × 10 chess board. The pieces can be 10 pawns, 2 rooks, 2 knights,
    2 bishops, 2 queens, 1 king and 1 piece which can move like in both a queen
    and a knight (What is this piece which can move like in both a queen and a
    knight called as?) for the either of the two sides like in game played.
    The ranks can be named as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 0.
    The files can be named as a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j.
    We also have got 6 × 6 mini chess board. Or not?
  4. Four or more than two player variant of chess game.
In this thread's poll, the first option has got 10000 votes, the other options have got very few votes when ever being compared with to it. Still the bar in the first option is only a little big bigger when ever being compared with to other options, not relative to its real size. Xyzzy has messed up with the poll results. The first option has got fewer votes when ever being compared with to some other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
I believe* that the game is as inexhaustible as just a color.
Black. White. Gomoku. Go.

Translation: I've never said a word about chess, did I? Count me out.
Solved games are boring. But chess does not seem to be solved.
Chess is truly a psychological game, but under perfect strategy and tactics is it a draw and then tie?

Only so far positions with six or fewer pieces on the board appear to be solved.
And then think about Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Reversi, Connect Four, Mancala, Chinese Chess, Shogi, Tic Tac Toe, Go, Gomoku which are being besides that of Chess.

Dice games = Game of chance.
Non-dice games = Game of skill.

2 player scrabble = Game of skill.
4 player scrabble = Game of chance.

Dice and dominoes.
In shape, platonic solids, prism, pyramid.

Fingers and dice are being related to each other.
Multiple base counting with fingers.

Multiple base falling with dice.

It is impossible to quote posts from an archived read only forum.
Let alone edit them.

But only = Let alone?
But only archive = zip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
when the game is over, afterwards both forums should not be wiped clean
Sometimes it is a good practice to delete types of things from time to time, every now and then, such that behaviour does not go erratic.
Body cells are killed after they have finished their functions such that they do not go into cancer. Every body has got cancer cells, but it is no problem till and then until they remain dormant.
If too many injustices happen in the world, then God will wipe them all out and then give rise to a new rebirth - From Epic Mahabharatam.
Never mind that in another 5 billion years, Earth will be destroyed by Sun growing out into and then engulfing as a red giant. Only if human beings should survive, they should shield Earth, alter orbit of planet or do space colonization. They would be extinct or evolved into different ways by then.
Life on Earth would only be for another 600 to 700 million years. Last total solar eclipse period of time. Water would be lost soon. Loss of atmosphere as Earth's magnetic field shuts down as Earth's liquid outer core freezes.
Assuming hopefully orbits of planets will not be altered by using Andromeda Galaxy (one of the few blue shifted galaxies) and then Milky Way Galaxy collision and then merging falling apart in another 4 billion years period of time.
Is it possible over large periods of time, Mercury's orbit could be altered, or collide with some planet by using disintegration and then or forming away a ring over there by, or ejected away out of solar system?
Nearest galaxy to Milky Way Galaxy is being Large Megallanic Cloud irregular galaxy shapes spotted by using Megallan.
Nearest star to Earth is Sun.
Nearest star to Sun is Proxima Centauri.
What ever are being the opposites of words: lazy, sin, eject, extinguish.
What ever are being the meanings of words: hug, rub, intentional, smear.
In women's uterus and then womb, what is that liquid which will be there to protect the child? Water? H2O?

Cf. See also: Lucena position, Centaurini position.

City: Salem, Xylem.
Town: Erode, Conserve.

Shear.
Stress.

Tension.
Normal reaction - Measured by using weighing machine balance - computer system machine - and then or with in in to.

Placing magnet in weighing scale balance - computer system machine.

Weighing machine balance - computer system machine.
Weighing scale balance - computer system machine.

Not - not on to the limit range domain scale unit proportion scale ratio factor rate bound same ∝ on to the right now by right now itself at this very moment variably at all during ECM curves prime factors Mersenne prime number exponent same also too!
How can I insert line break in to the mersenne forum thread post?

Not - not on to the limit range domain level unit proportion scale ratio factor rate bound same ∝ on to the right now by right now itself at this very moment variably at all during ECM curves prime factors Mersenne prime number exponent same also too!
How can I insert line break in to the mersenne forum thread post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diep View Post
This will be a real match:

Karjakin - Carlsen

I give it 50-50.

www.chessbomb.com is the website most chessplayers follow.

To answer 1 of the questions: Stockfish is a derivative from Glaurung (norwegian engine) and Houdini is the newer version of Rybka.

Both are total different engines.

Stockfish has the smallest amount of knowledge of any top engine. It's purely search only.
There is Android application being available for the Chess World Championship Match 2013, 2014, 2016. Do you know?
Never mind that this type of thing which ever can be accessed with browser even from my own iPad. Ever. No need to download Android application at all!

Other topic news:

Did any one bother to observe the bright full moon up on night of Monday 14 November 2016?
I did not manage to get on to post it over here by.

Bright full moon up on night of Monday 14 November 2016, with moon at perigee position or point of closest approach to Earth. Don't miss this spectacular sight! Super full moon for the first time in some 69 years period of time since 26 January 1948 Monday. Next time it will occur is on 25 November 2034 Saturday in another 18 years period of time.

We have also got full moon with closest approaches to Earth up on Sunday 16 October 2016 and then Wednesday 14 December 2016, but they will not be as like full moon with closest approach to Earth up on Monday 14 November 2016.

It will be great if whether eclipse coincides with Diwali or Karthigai Deepam.
As like full moon with closest approach to Earth up on Wednesday 14 December 2016 = Thiruvannamalai Deepam.

Earth - Moon System - Apogee Perigee.
Earth - Sun System - Aphelion Perihelion.
Sun - Comet System - Apsiasis Peripsiasis.

Zenith - Nadir.

<snip>

Cf. See also: L1, L2, L3 unstable, L4, L5 stable Lagrange points.

Moon - Moon.
Count - Count.

Moon - RGG.
Clock - Watch - Eiya - Ganesh Rajaraman.

Not to say spectacular sight = Dress removed naked body.
German language - Tuch = Dress - German language programming distribution package scripting code.

Uber = Above.
Taxi cab booking Android application - yes not iOS - ever - yes not - ever - Ola, Uber, Meru, NTL Call Taxi, Fast Track, Taxis For Sure, 99 Taxis.

Joke Drum: What city is the costliest to live in? Electricity.
Why is it called as - known as Joke Drum?

In mersenne forum, in some forums, moderators are made because some user has to have their reputation being raised, even though they may not have any role in editing business at all!
For example, if we had a sub forum in hobbies like solving strategy and then tactics for Rubik's Cube and then its own family of puzzles or peg solitaire and then its own variants discussion, and then some well behaved, active, knowledgeable and helpful member of this forum has got to be made as like a moderator.

Knowledge - I - Kinowledge.
I not ever upper case always - imaginary number i - computer system machine word processor would not understand it at all!

Upper case - Capital letters.
Lower case - Small letters.

If haemoglobin relates to iron, then what does chlorophyll relate to?
Magnesium. Cyanocobalamine relates to cobalt?

One of my own Orkut friends.
Cuisines relate to food, not to games.

News = North East West South.
North West East South - North East West South.
As like p-n junction of semi conductors.
Yes Clockwise North East South West. Yes Anticlockwise North West South East.
Not Clockwise North West South East. Not Anticlockwise North East South West.
I lost 4 marks in my Geography Assignment in Class 6 due to this error.
My own geography teacher reduced 4 marks in standard 6.
C section class 1 to 7, 10, B section class 8 to 9. A section class 11 to 12, Pre KG - LKG - UKG - JRK - SRK.

My own.
Computer system machine.

Pulicat Bird Sanctuary - Vedanthangal Bird Sanctuary - Nelapattu Bird Sanctuary.
Paɻaverkadu - Thiruverkadu - Araverkadu.

Mother - Araverkadu.
Uncle - Kathukutti.
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 17:47   #10
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

22×1,493 Posts

I've really enjoyed a multiplayer chess variant, not sure if it's known. There are four people, two on each of two chessboards. Your teammate is the person of opposite color on the other board. Each turn you either play like normal or you start a new piece on your pawn's rank. The pieces you can use are the ones captured by your teammate (so initially you can't place anything). The games need to be timed for this variant to be practical.
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-30, 21:14   #11
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

24·11·53 Posts

This is bughouse!
It is great!
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote