mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2016-06-14, 16:32   #1
23Chaos23
 
Jun 2016

11 Posts
Default Chaos GODLIKE PC

so recently i had the bright idea to put together a dream/do it anyway build

so before i start let me just lay down some points,
im not bothered by the cost
aesthetics are important
over kill is a myth
and the list is not set in stone, (if you have a better option and good reasons that fit with the above i might include that part)

ok so here is the list as it stands
  • CPU 6950x
  • MSI X99 GODLIKE CARBON PRO (carbon fiber is my fav color)
  • 64GB corsair dom. plat. DDR4
  • 3x GTX1080 (not yet decided on ref card or board partner yet, leaning towards MSI custom PCB if full EK water block is available
  • intel 750 1.2TB runing off the MSI U.2 turbo M.2 interface (OS goes here)
  • additional 2TB samsung evo 850 as needed
  • 4x The Black Ice Nemesis 560GTS XFlow rads for the cpu and each GPU (4 sep loops) (edit: should mention im using 560 rads because i live in Australia, and its hotter then the devils a-hole here)
  • all placed in one side of the WP200 case and the small partition mounted on top
on the other side (yes im putting a second computer in here) im thinking either a server to manage a mass SSD storage array or building a multi CPU workstation also with 3 or 4 GPUs for batch rendering or prime crunching


all this built with custom hard line clear water cooling with a UV led and fluorescent green liquid, and green leds for other accents like the fans etc


my current estimates place the build at around $15k-$20k USD


this is not a troll/joke i seriously want to build this, oh and i forgot to mention i do CAD and 3D modeling so ill be designing custom carbon fiber parts and panels to mod the case itself. the goal is to end up with something like this

Last fiddled with by 23Chaos23 on 2016-06-14 at 16:44
23Chaos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-14, 17:03   #2
chappy
 
chappy's Avatar
 
"Jeff"
Feb 2012
St. Louis, Missouri, USA

48516 Posts
Default

I'll be in my bunk.
chappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-15, 09:41   #3
0PolarBearsHere
 
0PolarBearsHere's Avatar
 
Oct 2015

10A16 Posts
Default

Why not phase change cooling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0B0Dli-1g

Unless noise is a concern.

Last fiddled with by 0PolarBearsHere on 2016-06-15 at 09:46
0PolarBearsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-16, 03:27   #4
23Chaos23
 
Jun 2016

11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0PolarBearsHere View Post
Why not phase change cooling?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d0B0Dli-1g

Unless noise is a concern.
nah noise isnt a problem, power costs are, i can run 30 fans for the power cost of one phase change cooler, and remember aesthetics are important, moar clear UV green filled water tubes for teh bling
23Chaos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-17, 14:05   #5
jasonp
Tribal Bullet
 
jasonp's Avatar
 
Oct 2004

3·52·47 Posts
Default

Possibly relevant
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-18, 12:52   #6
23Chaos23
 
Jun 2016

11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
some good points there on this that thread. personally im a new machine every 5-10 years kinda guy, and currently my alienware MX17 R4 laptop is still going hard after 4 years. ill be migrating my 1TB HDD to a 2 TB SSD and install another 2TB SSD in the open drive bay as well as swapping the 16GB of stock ram out for 32GB of corsair vengeance and im sure it will keep working strong for another 5 years (unless we make a massive quantum leap in tech and the whole industry makes a complete shift)

the GODLIKE build is my dream/will slowly build as the money comes. short of winning the lottery many of the parts listed will be hugely cheaper in the next 2 years. some of the parts i will priorities due to limited availability (like the MSI GODLIKE board) so i dont go to buy it down the track and there are no more out there. and with intels new 6k i7 broadwell e chips i think the X99 chipset will be around for at least 3 more years. so im safe in the CPU department. Also the MSI carbon has GODLIKE written on it so if i end up having to get a different M board i cant call this the godlike build anymore...... oh well ill see if i won the lottery last night, and get to do some truly epic shopping (i think ill live stream it lol)

Last fiddled with by 23Chaos23 on 2016-06-18 at 12:53
23Chaos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-18, 13:07   #7
henryzz
Just call me Henry
 
henryzz's Avatar
 
"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

2·3·947 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Chaos23 View Post
some good points there on this that thread. personally im a new machine every 5-10 years kinda guy, and currently my alienware MX17 R4 laptop is still going hard after 4 years. ill be migrating my 1TB HDD to a 2 TB SSD and install another 2TB SSD in the open drive bay as well as swapping the 16GB of stock ram out for 32GB of corsair vengeance and im sure it will keep working strong for another 5 years (unless we make a massive quantum leap in tech and the whole industry makes a complete shift)

the GODLIKE build is my dream/will slowly build as the money comes. short of winning the lottery many of the parts listed will be hugely cheaper in the next 2 years. some of the parts i will priorities due to limited availability (like the MSI GODLIKE board) so i dont go to buy it down the track and there are no more out there. and with intels new 6k i7 broadwell e chips i think the X99 chipset will be around for at least 3 more years. so im safe in the CPU department. Also the MSI carbon has GODLIKE written on it so if i end up having to get a different M board i cant call this the godlike build anymore...... oh well ill see if i won the lottery last night, and get to do some truly epic shopping (i think ill live stream it lol)
I pretty much do the same. My Q6600 is still going. It is a bit limited on memory these days due to being DDR2 (my mistake was not getting a DDR3 board at the time) but it generally runs well. I have lost count of how many power supplies it has gotten through though. When I have some money I will spend a decent amount and have a pc that will last another 5-10 years. I am hoping to wait for cannonlake and AVX512.
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-18, 18:16   #8
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013
Ͳօɾօղէօ

279210 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23Chaos23 View Post
ithe GODLIKE build is my dream/will slowly build as the money comes. short of winning the lottery many of the parts listed will be hugely cheaper in the next 2 years.
Buy everything all at once. Or buy components you can use right away. The warranty starts ticking the moment you buy.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-19, 05:39   #9
23Chaos23
 
Jun 2016

B16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Buy everything all at once. Or buy components you can use right away. The warranty starts ticking the moment you buy.
good poit but the only parts i would worry about being under warranty are things like CPU PSU and the GPUs. everything else is cheap enough to not really care
23Chaos23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-20, 09:34   #10
ldesnogu
 
ldesnogu's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
France

24×3×11 Posts
Default

Come on, GTX cards are for gamers. Real mean pick fully enabled Pascal cards. So save your money for Q4 when PCE-e P100 will be available.
ldesnogu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-20, 16:24   #11
Xyzzy
 
Xyzzy's Avatar
 
"Mike"
Aug 2002

1D8A16 Posts
Default

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-speed-record/
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worldwide Nightmare Theatre, Empire of Chaos Enhanced and Expanded kladner Soap Box 689 2020-06-14 19:57
Nightmare Mid-East Theatre, Empire of Chaos edition kladner Soap Box 275 2017-07-27 22:29
R.I.P. Ed Lorenz, "father of chaos theory" ewmayer Science & Technology 0 2008-04-17 15:41

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:19.

Wed Jul 15 17:19:03 UTC 2020 up 112 days, 14:52, 1 user, load averages: 1.27, 1.47, 1.69

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.