mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-11-02, 23:21   #1
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350710 Posts
Default More about Google search algorithms

Sometimes Google seems psychic in the way it does things, and sometimes it seems like a petulant child.

All I want to do is research what happened on October 17th, 2018. Not October 17th, in general. Specifically the one that happened this year.

But Google appears to be paying exactly zero attention to the number 2018. It's so infuriating.

Does anyone know why the algorithm can't handle the damn year?

(I notice Yellowstone erupted on that day, and Israel had a meeting between Jews and Christians. It's like my complaining made it behave itself, could it be as simple as entering a comma?)

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2018-11-02 at 23:25
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-02, 23:26   #2
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

20C016 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Sometimes Google seems psychic in the way it does things, and sometimes it seems like a petulant child.

All I want to do is research what happened on October 17th, 2018. Not October 17th, in general. Specifically the one that happened this year.

But Google appears to be paying exactly zero attention to the number 2018. It's so infuriating.

Does anyone know why the algorithm can't handle the damn year?

(I notice Yellowstone erupted on that day, and Israel had a meeting between Jews and Christians. It's like my complaining made it behave itself, could it be as simple as entering a comma?)
https://www.google.ca/search?q="Oct+...17%2F2018&tbm=

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2018-11-02 at 23:30 Reason: change of URL
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 01:43   #3
Batalov
 
Batalov's Avatar
 
"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

41×229 Posts
Default

That's a hot damn fine algorithm! Mighty difficult, too!
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 01:56   #4
a1call
 
a1call's Avatar
 
"Rashid Naimi"
Oct 2015
Remote to Here/There

37268 Posts
Default

There was a time when google would by default return only documents which contained all the terms (keywords) contained in the query string. The "algo" evolves continuously usually for the better. However, recently the engine acts as if it knows better (than you) and returns documents which it thinks are more relevant to the intention of the query rather than taking it literally. I too find this frustrating. The solution is simple however (at least for now). Enclose any terms that you wish absolutely present in the SERPs (such as "2018") in quotes. If you enclose the whole phrase in the quotes, then the SERPs will all contain the whole phrase (key-phrase) in the order that you have enclosed them.
I hope this helps.
a1call is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 03:51   #5
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
That's a hot damn fine algorithm! Mighty difficult, too!
lol, shots fired.

Yeah, I can see how quotes might help me get me what I want.

Thanks to the person who solved the problem. science_man_88.

Off-topic: I assume the 88 means your birth year. The internet must've started taking off around the time you first became old enough to care. Do you have "before the internet" memories? Or maybe memories of its evolution?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 03:55   #6
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1call View Post
There was a time when google would by default return only documents which contained all the terms (keywords) contained in the query string. The "algo" evolves continuously usually for the better. However, recently the engine acts as if it knows better (than you) and returns documents which it thinks are more relevant to the intention of the query rather than taking it literally. I too find this frustrating. The solution is simple however (at least for now). Enclose any terms that you wish absolutely present in the SERPs (such as "2018") in quotes. If you enclose the whole phrase in the quotes, then the SERPs will all contain the whole phrase (key-phrase) in the order that you have enclosed them.
I hope this helps.
I'll use the quotes method for now, but I wonder if there's a way to do things that covers things like the way Europeans do dates.

This is a "Jesus freaky" search about October 17th, so I'm not really sure what I'm searching for. So anything that improves the search is helpful.

And, yes, science_man_88 is awesome, even though I must look like an idiot. What can I say, I'm 44. I'm old.

I'd tip the dude if I could. You want a $5 Amazon gift code, science_man_88?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 04:21   #7
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB316 Posts
Default

Can we change the name of this thread to be more about Google search algorithms in general?

For instance, is there a way I can get Google to recommend stuff without entering a search term at all? I just tried a period and a space, separately. Period gets some unwanted stuff, and a space won't go through at all on its own.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 08:21   #8
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

100000110000002 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong;499406.

Off-topic: I assume the 88 means your birth year. The internet must've started taking off around the time you first became old enough to care. Do you have "before the internet" memories? Or maybe memories of its evolution?
I have a lack of memories of anything in my life until age 6 ( at least to my knowledge). Knew how to use it, didn't really know google searching deeply until much later. All I did for your search was random search terms + desktop site -> tools-> any time-> custom range ...

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2018-11-03 at 08:22
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-03, 08:38   #9
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I'd tip the dude if I could. You want a $5 Amazon gift code, science_man_88?
No Thanks. I'd probably have to report to ESIA and I don't use amazon, or have a credit card.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-11-04, 15:18   #10
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

3·7·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
No Thanks. I'd probably have to report to ESIA and I don't use amazon, or have a credit card.
Yeah, international money exchanging tends to be tricky.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AGM algorithms for ln(x) ewmayer Other Mathematical Topics 17 2018-09-12 16:06
Google's "Really Advanced Search" Rodrigo Information & Answers 10 2012-04-04 04:34
Quantum Algorithms? ShiningArcanine Lounge 4 2007-12-16 12:11
Implementing algorithms, did I do this right? ShiningArcanine Programming 18 2005-12-29 21:47
Custom Google search... Xyzzy Lounge 24 2003-09-22 21:04

All times are UTC. The time now is 02:03.

Wed Apr 14 02:03:04 UTC 2021 up 5 days, 20:43, 1 user, load averages: 2.09, 2.20, 2.11

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.