Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2016-01-10, 19:54   #1
GhettoChild

"Ghetto_Child"
Jul 2014
Montreal, QC, Canada

41 Posts
Question GIMPS PrimeNet Manual Exponent request Error code: 40

why am I getting this error for ANY exponent I manually request, regardless of the range/size of the exponent?

Error code: 40
Error text: No assignment available meeting CPU, program code and work preference requirements, cpu_id: *****, cpu # = 0, user_id = ****
GhettoChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 21:45   #2
VictordeHolland

"Victor de Hollander"
Aug 2011
the Netherlands

2·587 Posts

You could try adding assignments in the worktodo and manual updating Prime95 to reserve assignments/exponents.

Last fiddled with by VictordeHolland on 2016-01-10 at 21:45 Reason: didn't mean to quote
VictordeHolland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 21:57   #3
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

2×31×47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoChild View Post
why am I getting this error for ANY exponent I manually request, regardless of the range/size of the exponent?

Error text: No assignment available meeting CPU, program code and work preference requirements, cpu_id: *****, cpu # = 0, user_id = ****
It would help if you gave the specific work type and ranges you are entering into the form.

Do keep in mind you can't manually reserve exponents below the "category 4" thresholds. For "Smallest available first time tests", that's currently anything below 75210132, and for "Double-check tests", that's currently anything below 38930220.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-10, 22:33   #4
cuBerBruce

Aug 2012
Mass., USA

2×3×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
Do keep in mind you can't manually reserve exponents below the "category 4" thresholds. For "Smallest available first time tests", that's currently anything below 75210132, and for "Double-check tests", that's currently anything below 38930220.
Actually both category 3 and category 4 exponents can be reserved manually (if you've selected to get the smallest exponents on the page linked to by Mark), so the thresholds are 68322834 for first LL tests, and 36985142 for double-checks (currently).

Last fiddled with by cuBerBruce on 2016-01-10 at 23:07
cuBerBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 00:50   #5
GhettoChild

"Ghetto_Child"
Jul 2014
Montreal, QC, Canada

4110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictordeHolland View Post
You could try adding assignments in the worktodo and manual updating Prime95 to reserve assignments/exponents.
How exactly do you do that? If I input a number of my choice, PrimeNet erases the exponent from my worktodo file because the Assignment ID does not match for my UID and ComputerID. If I input an exponent without an Assignment ID then I won't get exclusive credit or someone will still receive that exponent as an assignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuBerBruce View Post
Actually both category 3 and category 4 exponents can be reserved manually (if you've selected to get the smallest exponents on the page linked to by Mark), so the thresholds are 68322834 for first LL tests, and 36985142 for double-checks (currently).
I have smallest exponents active in my account. Work type is either first time LL test or world record/100mil digit testsThe list of exponents I was assigned in 2014 by PrimeNet are:

All the assignments expired before I could complete them back then so in November 2015 I tried to manual request new assignments for them on a different PC to complete them and I just get errors no matter what number I specifically set, even 70000000+ values. The only time I don't receive an error is if I don't chose a value or range and I let PrimeNet pick. Also if I unreserve the PrimeNet chosen exponent and then manually attempt to reserve that same specific exponent I get this same Error code: 40 again.
Old 2016-01-11, 01:08   #6
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

3·3,109 Posts

Quote:
All the assignments expired before I could complete them back then so in November 2015 I tried to manual request new assignments for them on a different PC to complete them and I just get errors no matter what number I specifically set.
Sucks to be you...

Just so you know, when we tell people they need to complete the assignments within the temporal period they promise, we mean that.

Deal with it.

(To calm you, the candidates you were assigned (and failed to complete in time) was not worth any money.)
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 03:04   #7
GhettoChild

"Ghetto_Child"
Jul 2014
Montreal, QC, Canada

41 Posts

yeah I knew they're not worth any money (that is a relief) but just in case in the future if I want to import/resume a partially processed exponent into a new manual assignment, or should I want to reserve a specific exponent to test, I'm unable to now because of that error. How do I fix it?
Old 2016-01-11, 03:26   #8
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2×3×7×71 Posts

You should just check out 1 exponent at the time unless you have 5 computers? and if it is a slower computer you should have all the cores working on the same exponent to make sure it finishes in time.
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 03:32   #9
Mark Rose

"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

291410 Posts

Quote:
yeah I knew they're not worth any money (that is a relief) but just in case in the future if I want to import/resume a partially processed exponent into a new manual assignment, or should I want to reserve a specific exponent to test, I'm unable to now because of that error. How do I fix it?
What you should do is stop Prime95, copy the worktodo.txt file and any files that start with M to the new machine, and start Prime95 there. That's how you resume without losing work.

If you want to start a new assignment from scratch, you can go to http://www.mersenne.org/workload/ and copy the files there to your worktodo.add on the new machine.
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 05:35   #10
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

23×3×419 Posts

Quote:

Pardon my saying, but it is poor forum etiquette to post the same question multiple times on different threads. On this forum you will almost always get an answer, but the people who might have answers may not be online immediately when you post.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-11, 13:14   #11
GhettoChild

"Ghetto_Child"
Jul 2014
Montreal, QC, Canada

41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATH View Post
You should just check out 1 exponent at the time unless you have 5 computers? and if it is a slower computer you should have all the cores working on the same exponent to make sure it finishes in time.
I do have multiple computers including graphic cards I use for LL tests and simultaneous factoring. That's another reason why I will sometimes want to manually chose an exponent to test. I only request one exponent per CPU or GPU but some computers have multiple CPU cores and/or multiple GPUs. So when I'm testing its efficiency some of these CPUs can run multiple exponents more efficiently (less total time per iteration) than running a single exponent across multiple cores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rose View Post
What you should do is stop Prime95, copy the worktodo.txt file and any files that start with M to the new machine, and start Prime95 there. That's how you resume without losing work.

If you want to start a new assignment from scratch, you can go to http://www.mersenne.org/workload/ and copy the files there to your worktodo.add on the new machine.
I always do that; what I meant was copying the worktodo.txt and the "M" files of my expired assignments to the new machine; then manually request a new assignment ID for those specific exponents, from PrimeNet on the mersenne.org site; this way I can resume where I left off and maintain the exponent reserved to me with a new assignment ID. I won't have anyone else reserving the exponent and completing it before I finish. My first time processing of the exponent won't end up redundant or become just a double-check result. It's an occassional problem that a computer I'm using will break down and be inaccessible for months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Pardon my saying, but it is poor forum etiquette to post the same question multiple times on different threads. On this forum you will almost always get an answer, but the people who might have answers may not be online immediately when you post.
I understand, I waited all day for a response and checked the number of views on my first post. After nothing changed I thought maybe it was in the wrong topic/thread for the subject or type of problem so then I made a seperate thread. The 2nd thread receive responses within 2 hours. The first post in the other thread did not get a response until 11hrs later.

Last fiddled with by GhettoChild on 2016-01-11 at 13:19