Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2020-03-25, 12:23   #67
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
For strong booze here or in La Palma I'm restricted to absinthe. Some of those reach 85% or so, though 60-80% is more typical.

Putting spirits in Coke is anathema. They go to all that trouble to remove the water ...
Not that many years ago, absinthe was re-legalized in the US. It had been outlawed on the grounds that the wormwood in it supposedly rots your brain. I think the consensus became that absinthe didn't rot the brain any more than other distilled spirits.

As to diluting distilled liquor being anathema (They go to all that trouble to remove the water ...), I can only imagine your anguish at the way absinthe is customarily drunk.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-25, 12:45   #68
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

3·52·131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I was thinking of the contents of a beer keg generally being under some pressure, and there not being a large enough hole to drop in powder.
You forget that in the UK beer is often sold in a naturally fermented state and does not contain vast amounts of artificially incorporated CO2 forced into solution under pressure.

A very common product has the keg fitted with a bung which must be removed before a tap is inserted into the orifice. fluorescein may be added between those procedures.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 00:24   #69
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×1,511 Posts
Default I should have known...

Quote:
And -- what about all that corn ethanol that's being cranked out to adulterate our gasoline? Why not divert some of that stuff to medical use, and give our cars a break with some purer gasoline?
Ethanol plants seek rule changes to resupply hand sanitizer
Quote:
DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — As hospitals and nursing homes desperately search for hand sanitizer amid the coronavirus outbreak, federal regulators are preventing ethanol producers from providing millions of gallons of alcohol that could be transformed into the germ-killing mixture.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration's roadblock has been frustrating the health care and ethanol industries, which have been calling for a relaxed regulation to deal with the public health care emergency.

"Hand sanitizer is a big part of our lives," said Eric Barber, CEO of Mary Lanning Healthcare, a hospital in Hastings, Nebraska. "We can't get any. We order it and it's just not available."

The problem for the ethanol industry is that most plants make food-grade ethanol, one step below the highest pharmaceutical grade. But since the plants aren't certified to comply with stringent production standards designed to protect quality of medicines, food ingredients and dietary supplements, the FDA doesn't want the alcohol used for a product to be applied to the skin.

In addition, the alcohol is not denatured or mixed with a bitter additive to make it undrinkable. The FDA insists this step is "critical" because of cases of poisoning, sometimes fatal, among young children who have accidentally ingested hand sanitizers.

An FDA spokesman said Thursday that regulators have already seen a rise in poisonings linked to hand sanitizers in recent weeks, "heightening this public concern."
Hey, pencil-pushers! If kids are drinking the stuff that's already being made, I'd say denaturing the alcohol isn't helping anyway...
Old 2020-03-27, 02:02   #70
kladner

"Kieren, ktony"
Jul 2011

3×3,167 Posts

Quote:
Ethanol plants seek rule changes to resupply hand sanitizerHey, pencil-pushers! If kids are drinking the stuff that's already being made, I'd say denaturing the alcohol isn't helping anyway...
Ans: Don't confuse us with cogent observations!
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 12:25   #71
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kladner View Post
Ans: Don't confuse us with cogent observations!
I guess it wouldn't be any use pointing out that we're dealing with an emergency then...
Old 2020-03-27, 16:03   #72
kladner

"Kieren, ktony"
Jul 2011

950110 Posts

Quote:
I guess it wouldn't be any use pointing out that we're dealing with an emergency then...
That is the point. This seems like a rule that can be bent for the occasion. Sarcasm about the doubts was the intent.
Old 2020-03-27, 16:34   #73
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

3×52×131 Posts

Quote:
That is the point. This seems like a rule that can be bent for the occasion. Sarcasm about the doubts was the intent.
You missed your cue. The correct response was "Sarcastic, moi?" with optional but recommended [Miss_Piggy][/Miss_Piggy] brackets.

Please try to remember: do not miss an opportunity for self-referential humo{,u}r.

[Miss_Piggy]Patronizing, moi?[/Miss_Piggy]
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-27, 17:03   #74
kladner

"Kieren, ktony"
Jul 2011

3×3,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
You missed your cue. The correct response was "Sarcastic, moi?" with optional but recommended [Miss_Piggy][/Miss_Piggy] brackets.

Please try to remember: do not miss an opportunity for self-referential humo{,u}r.

[Miss_Piggy]Patronizing, moi?[/Miss_Piggy]
I shall attempt to rectify my utterances.
Old 2020-03-27, 18:24   #75
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

302210 Posts

Quote:
Yes, I assumed "us" referred to the bureaucrats. My response certainly was aimed at them.
Old 2020-03-28, 02:40   #76
kladner

"Kieren, ktony"
Jul 2011

3·3,167 Posts

Ah! I misconstrued. Won't be the last time, I fear.