Old 2020-03-23, 15:36   #12
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

32×1,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Any previously entered text has probably been mangled by the forum software.

New text should be treated properly.

Excellent!

Would you tell us what was going wrong please?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-23, 17:56   #13
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

1D2616 Posts

https://forum.vbulletin.com/forum/vb...check?t=259250

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-23, 18:17   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

May 2003
Down not across

100110011011012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Curious! I would never have thought of that.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 05:24   #15
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

83×101 Posts

Now, if you already solved that, did you also had a look to spacing issue?

Maybe unrelated, but I am spending part of my time on Duolingo, and there, they have a stange "markup" language to format the posts. For example, to split the text in paragraphs you can't just type an <enter>. That will be totally ignored, I guess they purge all the "strange" characters for safety or so. If you type two consecutive <enter>s, the result is a split with a galaxy of space in between the paragraphs (somehow like the mersenneforum is doing, and I have always to edit the post to delete that space). To have a "normal" split, you must type two consecutive spaces at the end of the paragraph (so, <space><space><enter>).(see the "spacing" section at the posted link).

Now, what is the connection? Well, the "hand" learned the trick and sometimes I type two spaces at the end of the paragraph when posted on another sites, here included. I have seen that occasionally when doing that on mersenneforum, the resulted split has only two empty lines, or it is even "normal" (with a single line). When I just put <enter>s, the result had always additional empty lines which need to be edited.

Therefore, I made some experiments here, and I found that the number of empty lines that are added when the post is "submitted" depends of the ending characters of the previous paragraph in quite a deterministic way. One <enter> is not always split in two enters.

Maybe this gives you some idea what to tickle? Maybe some settings? Unix vs Windoze line endings? CR/LF split into two CR or two LF? This "behavior" is quite new, it used not to be like this in the past, and it is quite annoying...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-03-24 at 05:27
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 06:17   #16
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

14B316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Now, if you already solved that, did you also had a look to spacing issue?

Maybe unrelated, but I am spending part of my time on Duolingo, and there, they have a stange "markup" language to format the posts. For example, to split the text in paragraphs you can't just type an <enter>. That will be totally ignored, I guess they purge all the "strange" characters for safety or so. If you type two consecutive <enter>s, the result is a split with a galaxy of space in between the paragraphs (somehow like the mersenneforum is doing, and I have always to edit the post to delete that space). To have a "normal" split, you must type two consecutive spaces at the end of the paragraph (so, <space><space><enter>).(see the "spacing" section at the posted link).

Now, what is the connection? Well, the "hand" learned the trick and sometimes I type two spaces at the end of the paragraph when posted on another sites, here included. I have seen that occasionally when doing that on mersenneforum, the resulted split has only two empty lines, or it is even "normal" (with a single line). When I just put <enter>s, the result had always additional empty lines which need to be edited.

Therefore, I made some experiments here, and I found that the number of empty lines that are added when the post is "submitted" depends of the ending characters of the previous paragraph in quite a deterministic way. One <enter> is not always split in two enters.

Maybe this gives you some idea what to tickle? Maybe some settings? Unix vs Windoze line endings? CR/LF split into two CR or two LF? This "behavior" is quite new, it used not to be like this in the past, and it is quite annoying...
Are you using the fancy JS editor?

I have no trouble with the normal non-JS text box. Enter is what one expects. Spaces are what one expects.

It all just works.

And I even put two spaces at the end of each paragraph in this post. And no problems.

Let the browser do its job and disable all that fancy JS that is messing it up.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-24, 08:52   #17
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

83×101 Posts

JS has nothing to do with editing or posting (i.e. writing the text in the box and clicking "submit reply", there is no JS involved). As a proof, your "two spaces" were parsed out when you submitted the post. There are no "two spaces" at the end of your lines, unless you used the "code" tags, where the spaciation is kept.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote