mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-06-12, 00:47   #1
Salz
 
Jun 2007

112 Posts
Default mprime 25.2?

I am a bit surpised as I just found mprime252alpha.tgz, mprime252osXalpha.tgz and P95V252.ZIP on http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/

Are these for real, are they version 25.2 and where is the announcement for these clients? What are the new features? Does this mean the client would run under linux now? Also I think it would be nice to at least have a changelog in these archives and not only one binary file - what is the purpose for having then in an archive at all? You just could put the gzipped binary online...

Sorry for my ranting but it is hard to find any information. The link in the post "The latest client software" (sticky at the top) for newer development clients is broken, too.

Please, please enlighten me. Thanks!
Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 13:04   #2
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted
 
Mini-Geek's Avatar
 
"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

11×389 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
I am a bit surpised as I just found mprime252alpha.tgz, mprime252osXalpha.tgz and P95V252.ZIP on http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/

Are these for real, are they version 25.2 and where is the announcement for these clients? What are the new features? Does this mean the client would run under linux now? Also I think it would be nice to at least have a changelog in these archives and not only one binary file - what is the purpose for having then in an archive at all? You just could put the gzipped binary online...

Sorry for my ranting but it is hard to find any information. The link in the post "The latest client software" (sticky at the top) for newer development clients is broken, too.

Please, please enlighten me. Thanks!
Those were from 3/7/07, 4/20/07, and 4/21/07. My guess is that they are all alphas, and that you shouldn't expect an announcement of them any time especially soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
Does this mean the client would run under linux now?
MPrime has always (as far as I know) run under linux...do you mean under Mac OS X?
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 13:47   #3
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

808510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
Sorry for my ranting but it is hard to find any information. The link in the post "The latest client software" (sticky at the top) for newer development clients is broken, too.
These versions were special builds for either preliminary testing of multi-threaded operation or in the MAC OS X case, an alpha version so that Intel Mac users have something to run - even if it is not fully tested.

There may be a 25.3 version available soon that talks to the v4 Primenet server. I've been running it on my home box for a couple of weeks now. Despite the amount of work that has been put in to 25.3, there are virtually no new features. Version 24.14 is your best bet.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 19:00   #4
Salz
 
Jun 2007

3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
MPrime has always (as far as I know) run under linux...do you mean under Mac OS X?
No, I meant the MPrime version 25, which should have multi threading for multi-core CPUs. Version 25.1 did not run under linux, according to Prime95 in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Is there, by any chance, a linux version of this build?
No chance. I haven't written the threads and locking routines for linux yet
Well, seems I could not resist and have tested that client on Linux. It kind of runs, can't find my username on the Server but uses 200% CPU instead of 100% as version 24.14 does. But it only works if you start it interactively with -m and choose to continue testing. Starting without -m exits immediately. With 25.3 probably on the doorstep, do you want a detailed report or should I wait and test 25.3?
Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-12, 20:59   #5
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3×5×72×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
With 25.3 probably on the doorstep, do you want a detailed report or should I wait and test 25.3?
Please wait. There have been some Linux (and Mac OS X) fixes.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 16:46   #6
ValerieVonck
 
ValerieVonck's Avatar
 
Mar 2004
Belgium

7×112 Posts
Default llr with mprime25alphaOsx

When running the following:

Code:
PRP=13236795,2,342556,-1
At 99.9% in the test, I got

ROUND OF ERROR (0.,5 > 0.4)

Mprime did restart the test but the residuals on Windows / Mac do not match up.
(at 99.9% in the second test)
Code:
Disregard last error. Result is reproducable and thus not a hardware problem.
For additional safety, redoing iteration using a slower, more reliable method.
Continuing from last save file
...
Resuming PRP test of ... at bit 342542 (99.99%)
Strange thins....
ValerieVonck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 19:45   #7
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

1F9516 Posts
Default

I just tried this PRP test using 25.3 on Windows 32-bit, linux 32-bit, linux 64-bit, and Mac OS X. All returned the same residue without error.

Can you try again using 25.3?
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 21:37   #8
harlee
 
harlee's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Odenton, MD, USA

2608 Posts
Default

Is the "FactorOverride=" command still valid in the v25.x? I've tried to set it to 63 bits in v25.1, v25.2 and v25.3, but the program still Trial Factors to 70 bits.
harlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-16, 21:48   #9
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

3×5×72×11 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by harlee View Post
Is the "FactorOverride=" command still valid in the v25.x? I've tried to set it to 63 bits in v25.1, v25.2 and v25.3, but the program still Trial Factors to 70 bits.
That "feature" seems to have been deleted.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-18, 16:01   #10
ValerieVonck
 
ValerieVonck's Avatar
 
Mar 2004
Belgium

7·112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I just tried this PRP test using 25.3 on Windows 32-bit, linux 32-bit, linux 64-bit, and Mac OS X. All returned the same residue without error.

Can you try again using 25.3?
George,

Thank you for your reply.
I will try this, this weekend!
ValerieVonck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-26, 09:02   #11
ValerieVonck
 
ValerieVonck's Avatar
 
Mar 2004
Belgium

7×112 Posts
Default

Geoff,

Version 25.3 runs correct.
Only thing I have to remark: when I push ctrl-c & ctrl-d a couple of times,
when seeing "trying to stop worker threads", the menu seems to scroll by in an infinite loop.

Regards
C.
ValerieVonck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mPrime over SSH Vincanis Information & Answers 4 2011-06-30 13:36
./mprime -B in 257 Lazlow PrimeNet 3 2008-10-29 20:40
64 bit mprime? aaronl Linux 1 2005-11-10 16:50
ECM using gmp-ecm and mprime on a P4 geoff Factoring 60 2004-12-02 07:16
Problem with mprime (Fixed with mprime -d) antiroach Software 2 2004-07-19 04:07

All times are UTC. The time now is 17:57.


Tue Dec 6 17:57:51 UTC 2022 up 110 days, 15:26, 0 users, load averages: 0.67, 0.75, 0.84

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔