mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Data

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2003-12-03, 13:00   #1
Reboot It
 
Reboot It's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
London, UK

7·13 Posts
Default Odd Reporting of a Factor Found

Recently in my farm, one PC found a factor in an exponent but, although it apparently reported it, it remained in the Team Prime Rib account report, although it had been dropped from the PC's worktodo.ini file. This was how I spotted it, as that exponent was no longer updating while the others were updating.

To try to force that result to be reported, on that PC I unselected the "Use Primenet to get work and report results" option and then reselected it. This made the machine re-report ALL of the results in results.txt, as I was expecting. However, the result still did not show up in cleared.txt and the exponent was still shown as allocated to that PC.

I then entered the worktodo entry on another PC and made it run P-1 again to see if it would generate and report the factor correctly. It found the factor and claims (from prime.log) to have reported it, but it does not show up how I expected in cleared.txt. Also it has now disappeared from Team Prime Rib's account report.

The exponent was 10548491.

The first PC was Reboot_It153. I can get log files if required, but at a day or two's notice. Sorry I can't post excerpts here right now. In particular I haven't checked that the factor found is identical.

The second PC was Reboot_It180 and it reran the P-1 (with a higher memory allocation FWIW).

The worktodo.ini entry was DoubleCheck=10548491,64,1

Excerpt from results.txt on Reboot_It180:
Code:
[Tue Dec 02 22:44:26 2003]
P-1 found a factor in stage #2, B1=60000, B2=1050000.
UID: Team_Prime_Rib/Reboot_It180, M10548491 has a factor: 920450594378445935929195338068205567146965439
Excerpt from prime.log on Reboot_It180:
Code:
[Tue Dec 02 22:44:27 2003 - ver 23.7]
Sending text message to server:
UID: Team_Prime_Rib/Reboot_It180, M10548491 has a factor: 920450594378445935929195338068205567146965439
Sending result to server for exponent 10548491
Excerpt from cleared.txt dated 03 Dec 2003 12:00 (Dec 3 2003 5:00AM Pacific):
Code:
10548491  67  DF            114813042292255308481  03-Dec-03 02:49  Dummy_Results  dummy
Can anybody shed any light on what has happened? I have recently realised that I have extreme admiration for the capabilities of the data miners here (you know what I mean! ) but this may also be a client or a server issue.

Help, please!
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 13:26   #2
apocalypse
 
Feb 2003

2·3·29 Posts
Default

920450594378445935929195338068205567146965439 = 114813042292255308481 * 8016951523986702618760319

You found a composite factor and, in that case, the server only records the smaller subfactor.
apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 14:04   #3
GP2
 
GP2's Avatar
 
Sep 2003

258510 Posts
Default

One of the scripts I run regularly checks for exponents that are assigned but have already been factored.

The most recent run showed:

Code:
Exponents assigned (LL testing) that already have a factor?
 
-------
factors
-------
10548491,114813042292255308481
20861773,53368898818455899608663
21236561,1830770648128687616906281
21250771,231495979763797238268689074541177
21397807,125957393078551400623
21398227,88156696745048623921
 
 
-------
STATUS_L.TXT
-------
10548491,D ,64,,13.9,16.7,60.7,02-Dec-03 19:54,19-Nov-03 05:05,Team_Prime_Rib,Reboot_It180
20861773,  ,66,,45.3,3.6,45.6,21-Oct-03 17:52,18-Oct-03 20:38,bsman,p41800s
21236561,  ,66,,14.2,2.8,62.8,,18-Nov-03 22:27,CDavis,P2530
21250771,  ,66,,13.3,29.7,74.7,,19-Nov-03 18:34,DL1ELY,DL1ELY
21397807,  ,66,,2.9,11.1,71.1,,30-Nov-03 04:15,.,C19214038
21398227,  ,66,,2.9,28.1,85.1,,30-Nov-03 04:47,curtisc,ccc54
When I find cases like this, I re-report the factors to PrimeNet using the manual report page, under Dummy_Results account created by garo. This hopefully prevents an entirely useless LL test from being done... hopefully, the next time Prime95 updates its info with the server, it sees "this exponent is not assigned to you" and deletes it from the worktodo.ini file of whoever it was assigned to.

The factor did make it into the "weekly" data files (Dec 2 release), which is how I detected it, so presumably you got credit for it.

I haven't figured out how this situation occurs, but every week there are at least one or two cases of assigned exponents that already have a factor.
GP2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-12-03, 14:39   #4
Reboot It
 
Reboot It's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
London, UK

10110112 Posts
Default

Thanks both for the prompt replies. And there was me thinking I had found a wonderfully huge factor. :surprised Glad that having done the work twice I should get the credit!

Quite how the exponent got reallocated to Reboot_It153 in the first place even though it was already marked as having a factor is presumably still a mystery.
Reboot It is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Factor found that should have been found by P-1 tha Data 65 2020-08-05 21:11
F12 factor found? johnadam74 FermatSearch 16 2016-11-03 12:10
No factor reporting. Uncwilly PrimeNet 1 2008-10-05 00:52
found this factor tha Factoring 4 2007-06-18 19:56
After a factor is found it keeps on going jocelynl Software 6 2004-08-07 01:31

All times are UTC. The time now is 10:05.


Wed Oct 20 10:05:16 UTC 2021 up 89 days, 4:34, 1 user, load averages: 1.71, 2.09, 2.05

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.