henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

3×5×383 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Joking apart, searching and reading through the wiki article, I was never diagnosed, but I find myself in every picture there.
I think a lot of people on this forum would see some of that in themselves even if they haven't been diagnosed myself included. Often Maths skills come along with that sort of disorder(or it encourages maths skills to develop. Maybe both.).
Even outside Aspergers, this forum has had a fair few people with mental illnesses in the past that influence their behaviour some of the time(it is obvious when they aren't on their meds).
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-24, 10:15   #35
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2·3·1,699 Posts

Quote:
I see...
Now I have an issue with you all, the rest of the forum members!...

Joking apart, searching and reading through the wiki article, I was never diagnosed, but I find myself in every picture there.

During my times, every child did those things, and nobody was talking about diseases. We used to eat dirty fruits and didn't develop monsters in our belly, and we used to skin our knees off and don't clean the wound and continue to play in the dirt and didn't die of tetanus, and we used to spend weeks playing the games we liked and we didn't get any "disorder" label attached to us because we spent too much doing one single type of activity. Nowadays, if you stare more than 2 minutes to a puzzle, you have aspersores... or how the hack is called... C'mon ppl wake up... where are we going?
Also in Wikipedia:

As a pervasive developmental disorder, Asperger syndrome is distinguished by a pattern of symptoms rather than a single symptom. It is characterized by qualitative impairment in social interaction, by stereotyped and restricted patterns of behavior, activities, and interests, and by no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or general delay in language. Intense preoccupation with a narrow subject, one-sided verbosity, restricted prosody, and physical clumsiness are typical of the condition, but are not required for diagnosis.

Describes me perfectly.

See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperg...al_interaction

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2020-02-24 at 10:16
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-24, 13:36   #36
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·5·11·23 Posts

Quote:
<snip>
Nowadays, if you stare more than 2 minutes to a puzzle, you have aspersores... or how the hack is called... C'mon ppl wake up... where are we going?
In days of yore, there was also no "attention deficit disorder" (ADD) or "attention deficit hyperactivity disorder" (ADHD) which are now said to require treatment with prescription medication.

But the problems did exist, and people recognized them and had devised an effective treatment, as immortalized in a musical ditty I learned as a young child, and was apparently taken from an old song called School Days:
Quote:
Reading and writing and 'rith-me-tic

Taught to the tune of the hick'ry stick
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-24, 14:47   #37
jwaltos

Apr 2012

35010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
I have Asperger's.

Do you have an issue with that?
So do I. My point referenced self-awareness. Some people use Asperger's (an example) as an excuse, others as a strength and yet others don't give a damn. My shins have been kicked more than once by my wife under a table to prevent a social gaffe. I have learned to move "just out of reach" and say my piece anyways. Progress is sometimes lateral.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
...But I am concerned about "will not", rather than "can not".
And you address that attitude which makes me read your posts whenever you submit them.

I'm looking forward to seeing Artificial Intelligence technology making a dent in these successful factorizations than computations reliant on storage hardware.

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2020-02-24 at 15:10
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-24, 15:21   #38
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26·113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing Artificial Intelligence technology making a dent in these successful factorizations than computations reliant on storage hardware.
?? I don't understand this comment. What does AI or "storage hardware" got to do with
ECM or NFS?

Also, what does it mean to "making a dent in these successful factorizations"?
Perhaps you mean "make a dent in unsuccessful factorizations"?
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-28, 16:17   #39
Batalov

"Serge"
Mar 2008
Phi(4,2^7658614+1)/2

9,157 Posts

And now - RSA-250
Batalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-28, 16:35   #40
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

11100010000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batalov View Post
And now - RSA-250
!!!!!!!

We would like to dedicate this computation to Peter L. Montgomery, who
passed away on February 18, 2020.

!!!!!!!

I received no emails nor have I seen any announcements anywhere!!!!!

I just found:

https://fataldeaths.com/2020/Peter-M...mathematician)

Last fiddled with by axn on 2020-02-28 at 17:26
Old 2020-02-28, 18:02   #41
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

27D216 Posts

Quote:
?? I don't understand this comment. What does AI or "storage hardware" got to do with ECM or NFS?
jwaltos can answer for himself, but I see no reason why AI could not be used to find better algorithms to optimise the implementation of those methods.

In much the same way that natural intelligence, in the form of Peter Montgomery, produced modular multiplication, the FFT extension to stage 2, parallel block Lanczos, an extraction of square roots in algebraic number fields.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-10, 00:11   #42
MacPrime

Aug 2017

19 Posts

Quote:
I have been told by journal editors: Do not try to "interpret". Accept that what is written
is what is intended. What was written was "processor". Singular. I am not speculating. I am offended by your insinuation that I am speculating.

I accept what was written as factual.

You should learn to do the same when reading a technical article.

One should not believe everything that is written down somewhere.
MacPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-10, 01:29   #43
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1C4016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPrime View Post
One should not believe everything that is written down somewhere.
A trite aphorism.

We are not discussing "everything that is written". We are discussing a technical
announcement by a professional society. [Soviet Academy of Sciences]

This is the third post of yours that has said nothing. (that I have seen). Please stop.

Last fiddled with by R.D. Silverman on 2020-03-10 at 01:30