mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Factoring

Old 2020-02-20, 23:31   #23
mathwiz

Mar 2019

127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Want to wager how many cores were actually used? The loser would pay to charity of the winners choice and need to post proof to the tread.
Pay how much to charity? I vote: <the number of processor cores used> USD.
mathwiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-20, 23:40   #24
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

100010101100102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathwiz View Post
Pay how much to charity? I vote: <the number of processor cores used> USD.
Each has to have the same potential skin in the game. 25 USD, me vs. RDS. I say that they used more than a single CPU (chip). If he is willing to take up the wager, my charity of choice is the American Red Cross, earmarked for blood services.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-21, 01:42   #25
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Each has to have the same potential skin in the game. 25 USD, me vs. RDS. I say that they used more than a single CPU (chip). If he is willing to take up the wager, my charity of choice is the American Red Cross, earmarked for blood services.
AMIIGAS
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-22, 17:55   #26
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

213448 Posts

This thread is kinda entertaining isn't it?

It almost makes you wish people factor some RSA numbers every month..

We understand Mr. Silverman feels a bit frustrated every time somebody factors one of them , because we know he was the one who released most of them in the wild, and he sees them like his own babies but this makes the thread even more entertaining...

Why don't we just wait and see the press release?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-02-22 at 17:57
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-22, 18:35   #27
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

2·4,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Why don't we just wait and see the press release?
That is what we have. What we need is the paper.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-22, 21:22   #28
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

1C4016 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
This thread is kinda entertaining isn't it?

It almost makes you wish people factor some RSA numbers every month..

We understand Mr. Silverman feels a bit frustrated every time somebody factors one of them
Horseshit. What does frustrate me are the cranks and trolls who pollute this forum with
their nonsense, all the while refusing to actually learn anything.

I am also frustrated by people who use other people's code to claim some
"achievement" when they can't be bothered learning how the code or algorithm actually
works. [although I am sure that the people who did RSA-232 do understand the algorithm]

The challenge numbers were issued to spur on research. This latest result is hardly that.
Old 2020-02-22, 21:41   #29
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,797 Posts

I noticed that, right at the beginning, the press release said it factored the number
Quote:
using LMSU supercomputer "Lomonosov" and Skoltech supercomputer "Zhores"
I tried looking up those computers, thinking that might shed some light, but what do I know about these things? Not much!

Perhaps someone can glean something from the following descriptions. There are others around also, including earlier versions of these things.

Lomonosov 2

Zhores
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-23, 16:21   #30
jwaltos

Apr 2012

2×52×7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.D. Silverman View Post
Horseshit. What does frustrate me are the cranks and trolls who pollute this forum with their nonsense, all the while refusing to actually learn anything. [snipped content]
I have been accused of being a "troll" and the label "crank" justifiably applies in my case within this forum.
What needs to be addressed, like the blogorrhea section does in specific cases, are people who most definitely have a mental issue, like Asperger's, which can work for or against that person's motivations. Some people cannot learn beyond a certain threshold. Being misguided or ignorant can be cured (with the most general meaning of the word "ignorant" intended).

Last fiddled with by jwaltos on 2020-02-23 at 16:26
jwaltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-23, 17:03   #31
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

26×113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
I have been accused of being a "troll" and the label "crank" justifiably applies in my case within this forum.
I disagree. I don't consider you a crank.
Quote:

<snip>
Some people cannot learn beyond a certain threshold. .
True. But I am concerned about "will not", rather than "can not".
Old 2020-02-23, 18:58   #32
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

1019410 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaltos View Post
are people who most definitely have a mental issue, like Asperger's
I have Asperger's.

Do you have an issue with that?
xilman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-24, 07:34   #33
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

22×7×11×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Children with AS may have a sophisticated vocabulary at a young age and such children have often been colloquially called "little professors", but have difficulty understanding figurative language and tend to use language literally. Children with AS appear to have particular weaknesses in areas of nonliteral language that include humor, irony, teasing, and sarcasm. Although individuals with AS usually understand the cognitive basis of humor, they seem to lack understanding of the intent of humor to share enjoyment with others.
I see...
Now I have an issue with you all, the rest of the forum members!...

Joking apart, searching and reading through the wiki article, I was never diagnosed, but I find myself in every picture there.

During my times, every child did those things, and nobody was talking about diseases. We used to eat dirty fruits and didn't develop monsters in our belly, and we used to skin our knees off and don't clean the wound and continue to play in the dirt and didn't die of tetanus, and we used to spend weeks playing the games we liked and we didn't get any "disorder" label attached to us because we spent too much doing one single type of activity. Nowadays, if you stare more than 2 minutes to a puzzle, you have aspersores... or how the hack is called... C'mon ppl wake up... where are we going?

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-02-24 at 07:49
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote