Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > Msieve

Old 2015-10-27, 17:12   #1
Romuald

Oct 2015
France

3F16 Posts
Default Factorizing with MSIEVE, GGNFS & Factmsieve.py

Hello,

I am french and I would like to run the tools MSIEVE, GGNFS and factmsieve.py together to factorize big numbers (nothing surprising up to now ;) )
I saw this page on the forum, the tenth message gives a srcipt that builds, installs and configures the tools. I am on Windows and Ubuntu, and I've tried to follow these old instructions (2010) working on Windows, unsuccessfully.
I'm writing this message because these 2 pages give each one different links of the sames things:

I thought the script factmsieve.py was here and not here as indicated on the page of the mersenneforum titled "Build Instructions for Ubuntu 14.04". I checked, they are not the same.
Moreover, I had these links on sourceforge for msieve and ggnfs: MSIEVE GGNFS.
The forum page gives this link for msieve and this one (on github) for ggnfs.

So, my question : Is This Script up to date, considering it's 1 year old yet (dating from 2014), and the latest version of Msieve is 1.52 and Ggnfs is 0.77.1 according to their respective projects on SourceForge (http://sourceforge.net/projects/ggnfs/ and http://sourceforge.net/projects/msieve/) ?

I want to run together all three so which versions have I to take ??? Which instructions have I to follow ? I am lost through all that different files we can find on the Internet.
Thanks for your answers
Romuald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-28, 17:18   #2
Romuald

Oct 2015
France

32·7 Posts

Hello ?
Old 2015-10-29, 13:42   #3
wreck

"Bo Chen"
Oct 2005
Wuhan,China

7·23 Posts

Would it more simple to know how to use one of these three application first?
wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 15:52   #4
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

105628 Posts

I don't think it makes any difference what versions you run, within the last 4 or 5 years.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-10-29, 16:56   #5
chris2be8

Sep 2009

194110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romuald View Post
I've tried to follow these old instructions (2010) working on Windows, unsuccessfully.
How far did you get when you tried to follow them? What went wrong? Have you tried on Ubuntu (or another Linux version)?

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 13:03   #6
Romuald

Oct 2015
France

6310 Posts

Quote:
How far did you get when you tried to follow them? What went wrong? Have you tried on Ubuntu (or another Linux version)?

Chri
I've tried to run commands at least until step 2 i think. But some errors did make me stop the process. I did'nt tried on Linux because, first, these commands are applied to Windows, and secondly, msieve, ggnfs are released for windows only, and i didn't find how to compile them on Linux and for Linux systems on the web.

Last fiddled with by Romuald on 2015-11-04 at 13:04
Old 2015-11-04, 17:17   #7
chris2be8

Sep 2009

3·647 Posts

Just saying you had some errors isn't enough for anyone else to tell what went wrong. Screen output from the failing step is usually the first thing we need to diagnose a problem.

It all works on Linux, I do all my factoring there. Installation can be a bit fiddly though. Start by unpacking the source if it came as a tar file (if you check it out from SVN it's probably already unpacked). Then look for installation instructions (there will usually be a file called README or INSTALL).

For factmsieve.py the only programs you really need are the lattice sievers (lasieve4I1*e) and msieve. So it's OK to ignore other programs if you have problems building them.

Chris
chris2be8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-04, 18:13   #8
VBCurtis

"Curtis"
Feb 2005
Riverside, CA

2×7×11×29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romuald View Post
I've tried to run commands at least until step 2 i think. But some errors did make me stop the process. I did'nt tried on Linux because, first, these commands are applied to Windows, and secondly, msieve, ggnfs are released for windows only, and i didn't find how to compile them on Linux and for Linux systems on the web.
Did you try the thread http://mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=19881 titled "build instructions for Ubuntu 14.04"? If your linux environment is different, not every step may work, but I got everything working just fine from those instructions. I also got msieve to compile by typing "make" in the directory; I am no linux guru, but it Just Works. Linux binaries for the 64 bit GGNFS sievers are found on the forum, too- msieve is all I had to compile before the aforementioned thread was written.
VBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 01:54   #9
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

1101011101012 Posts

I might offer up again, my Steps to install and set up Aliqueit on an Ubuntu* (or antiX) computer. I just used the procedure yesterday to set up Aliqueit on an ubuntu 14.04 Virtual Machine. There is one error -the link for factmsieve.py is no longer valid. I hope to fix that soon. Use your link for version 74 and rename it to exclude the version number, or add the version number for all the other references. To save the factmsieve file, use the RAW button above the script. My instructions should step you through gmp, ecm, ggnfs and msieve, at which point you can skip down to factmsieve.py.

Edit: I have updated my page to include a link to version 76 of factmsieve.py. All the steps in my instructions should work, but, of course, no guarantees can be made. Let me know if you use them and if they help.

Additional note: You might also want to look at yafu. If so, please also see this thread.

Last fiddled with by EdH on 2015-11-05 at 02:47
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-06, 20:35   #10
Romuald

Oct 2015
France

3F16 Posts

Well, I correct my statement: I followed the instructions until Step 3. Step 1 & 2 are OK (downloading files & configuring factmsieve.py), but at Step 3 I saw this commande did'nt work: ..\factMsieve.py example or
../factMsieve.py example. And today I'm realizing the commands ../ are generally used for Linux Systems. But that tutorial is for Windows ! So, with the CMD i get this:

"..\factMsieve.py" n'est pas reconnu en tant que programme interne ou externe, un programme exécutable ou un fichier de commande.

My windows is in french, so to English Windows Users, it must display that:

"..\factMsieve.py" is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

So, I tried with http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS, an emulation system of Unix Shell on Windows. It doesn't work neither.

However, I've ran the commands of the "MSIEVE Build Instructions for Ubuntu 14.04" page's script on Xubuntu 15.04, when i start running the program by typing "time ./factmsieve.py example", and appearly it is working but it takes a long time... And i aborted the task before it had finished. Compared to YAFU that I just downloaded compiled for Windows, which gives me the factorization of a 30 digits number instantly, MSIEVE on Ubuntu is stil working... I think the two programs use the same algorithm even so (number field sieve, as written on http://gilchrist.ca/jeff/factoring/index.html) ?

Last fiddled with by Romuald on 2015-11-06 at 20:40
Old 2015-11-06, 21:30   #11
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT/BST)

5,743 Posts

Have you installed python?
henryzz is offline   Reply With Quote