mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2013-02-24, 21:26   #1
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

23×101 Posts
Default I need another project!

Well, it looks like MISFIT has reached its functional plateau, so I'm searching for another opportunity where my C#.NET skills would be useful. Suggestions/ideas meaningful to the GIMPS community are requested.
swl551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 21:37   #2
chalsall
If I May

"Chris Halsall"
Sep 2002
Barbados

246D16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swl551 View Post
Well, it looks like MISFIT has reached its functional plateau, so I'm searching for another opportunity where my C#.NET skills would be useful. Suggestions/ideas meaningful to the GIMPS community are requested.
"Like a poem, software is never finished. Simply abandoned...".

One suggestion... Extend MISFIT to support CUDALucas.

Also, once I get the fetching API exposed (couple of weeks at the earliest) it will include the ability to report on machine CID (read: Name) and estimated completion. I'm sure our mutual users would love to be able to see on the online reports which machine has been assigned the work, and when it is expected to complete.
chalsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-24, 21:52   #3
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

23·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalsall View Post
"Like a poem, software is never finished. Simply abandoned...".

One suggestion... Extend MISFIT to support CUDALucas.

Also, once I get the fetching API exposed (couple of weeks at the earliest) it will include the ability to report on machine CID (read: Name) and estimated completion. I'm sure our mutual users would love to be able to see on the online reports which machine has been assigned the work, and when it is expected to complete.

MISFIT for CuLu was released in Nov 2012. I think FLASHJH is the only user.

Conversion of MISFIT to use the new API will be interesting, but I'm really looking for something new.
Old 2013-02-25, 03:55   #4
TObject

Feb 2012

34×5 Posts
Talking

Step away from the keyboard. Romance a lady.
TObject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-25, 07:13   #5
ET_
Banned

"Luigi"
Aug 2002
Team Italia

22×1,193 Posts

Too bad I'm a Linux user

Luigi
ET_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 02:26   #6
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3·19·137 Posts

Quote:
Well, it looks like MISFIT has reached its functional plateau, so I'm searching for another opportunity where my C#.NET skills would be useful.
How about some sort of program that detects if the screensaver (blank) is activated and have the program start mfaktc. And then have it stop (or pause?) mfaktc when the computer is being used.

We play a few online games and we always forget to restart mfkatc. Plus, if the screensaver (blank) is running we could run the card to max potential rather than neuter it for interactive performance.

If that is not possible, then a "PauseWhileRunning" program for mfaktc would be better than nothing.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 02:58   #7
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

23·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
How about some sort of program that detects if the screensaver (blank) is activated and have the program start mfaktc. And then have it stop (or pause?) mfaktc when the computer is being used.

We play a few online games and we always forget to restart mfkatc. Plus, if the screensaver (blank) is running we could run the card to max potential rather than neuter it for interactive performance.

If that is not possible, then a "PauseWhileRunning" program for mfaktc would be better than nothing.

Very interesting. I could add the detection of any exe loaded into memory be the cause the stop mfaktX. When none of those exist in memory it could restart mfaktx.

I have found that controlling mfaktc 020 utilization can be done by setting GPUSieveSize=X where X is a low value for low performance or a high value for max performance. So hot swapping ini files can produce throttling. I don't know another way to do that.

more ideas on this would be helpful.
Old 2013-02-27, 03:31   #8
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

3×19×137 Posts

Quote:
more ideas on this would be helpful.
We use the absolute minimum mfaktc settings right now to get perfect interactive performance for regular usage. We can watch videos, YouTube and pretty much anything else. But, for our game, we have to pause Prime95 on all four cores and stop mfaktc to get the framerates (~120Hz at 1920×1080) we feel most comfortable playing at.

The sad part is the 18-20 hours a day we are not running our game the video card is being underutilized because we have neutered the settings.

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-27, 03:47   #9
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

23·101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
We use the absolute minimum mfaktc settings right now to get perfect interactive performance for regular usage. We can watch videos, YouTube and pretty much anything else. But, for our game, we have to pause Prime95 on all four cores and stop mfaktc to get the framerates (~120Hz at 1920×1080) we feel most comfortable playing at.

The sad part is the 18-20 hours a day we are not running our game the video card is being underutilized because we have neutered the settings.

I have a batch file that swaps out ini files already written so you can start mfaktc SLOW,MED, FAST.

u can start with that.
Old 2013-02-27, 12:27   #10
swl551

Aug 2012
New Hampshire

23·101 Posts
Default Batch file speed menu for mfaktX

Using this batch menu you can select how to start your mfaktx instances. The key here is you need to have three .ini files each configured in such a way that GPU utilization goes from low-> med -> high. It is up to you to determine the method of control. For mfaktc 0.20 I just change one value in the .ini files. *GPUSieveSize=x"*

in the mfaktc.slow.ini the value is GPUSieveSize=4

in the mfaktc.med.ini the value is GPUSieveSize=16

in the mfaktc.med.ini the value is GPUSieveSize=128

You can use whatever value(s) you want. Key is having the three ini files in place. Then just create a bat file based on the code below and put them all in the mfaktc directory {simplicity}. (sure you can put it them anywhere else, you'll just have to add paths to the bat file.)

We can expand on this concept if you want.

Code:
@echo off
set TARGET=MFAKTC.INI
set SPEED=NONE
set MF=MFAKTC.EXE
:TOP
 cls
ECHO *************** MFAKTx SPEED MENU ***************
 echo 1. Slow
 echo 2. Medium
 echo 3. Fast
 echo X. Exit
 choice /c:123X /N
call :%errorlevel%
 goto  :eof

:1
SET SPEED=MFAKTC.SLOW.INI
goto  :RUN

:2
SET SPEED=MFAKTC.MED.INI

:3
SET SPEED=MFAKTC.FAST.INI

:4
 echo EXIT
goto :eof

:RUN
COPY %SPEED% %TARGET%
START "%SPEED%" %MF%
goto top

Last fiddled with by swl551 on 2013-02-27 at 12:43
Old 2013-03-04, 11:04   #11
Keldor

Feb 2013

23 Posts

Thanks for the batch file! One thing still annoyed me: If you want to change any parameter, you have to edit three files simultaneously. So I modified your batch file a little bit. Using this, you only need one file "mfaktc.default.ini" containing all default settings.
The batch file composes "mfaktc.ini" by printing a line "GPUSieveSize=xx" (xx=4, 16, or 128) and appending "mfaktc.default.ini" to it. (mfaktc uses the first occurance of a setting.)

Code:
@echo off
set TARGET=MFAKTC.INI
set DEFAULTS=MFAKTC.DEFAULT.INI
set SPEED=NONE
set MF=MFAKTC.EXE
:TOP
 cls
ECHO *************** MFAKTx SPEED MENU ***************
 echo 1. Slow
 echo 2. Medium
 echo 3. Fast