mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Old 2008-12-23, 09:07   #1
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×13×197 Posts
Default Funny stuff & gripes about friends/relatives

We need to have a good jokes and funny stuff thread to lighten up the mood in these projects a little. Everyone, feel free to post anything you want here that is liable to get a good chuckle out of people.

This initially came about when Max and I were debating whether a word was really a swear word or not. It was really quite funny in it's own right because he was one admin sensoring another admin within the project that we co-admin together. It was the below post that he inserted the "censored" emoticon in for a questionable word that I actually use again in a post further down just to annoy him a bit for sensoring me. (lol) See for yourself.

It was also inspired by my pet hamster who is fond of changing my posts in a funny way without me knowing it.

You can also post gripes about your mother-in-law, wife, girl friend, or whomever that you're sure won't read this forum. Perhaps we can give you good advice!

Here is the memo that started all this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Riesel base 143 tested to 15k. Unreserving.

Primes for n>10k:
584*143^11344-1
208*143^13313-1
1118*143^14838-1

I'll email the results and sieve to Gary.

OK, now slow down just a little bit. You're causing me to take extra time and you know how I get when I have to take extra admin time. lol

You didn't send me a list of k's remaining for base 143. I could figure it out but...

I only see primes in one Email up to n=1000. Then in another Email there are primes for n>8700. So I need the primes for n=1000-8700.

So if you can send me both the 29 k's remaining and those primes, then I can post everything on the pages.

Edit: Well, I got on tonight thinking that I could get the pages updated in an hour...not a chance. This is a lot of work that everyone has done and I haven't even looked at any of the base 3 stuff yet. Oh well, I got in some updates for bases <= 32. I'll get to all of these late Tuesday and Wednesday during the day.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-12-30 at 10:31 Reason: ahem, ahem...this is an all-ages board, right? :-)
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 01:42   #2
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×13×197 Posts

Ahem. I didn't know bitchy was a bad word. It's only describing a state of annoyance. lol

Now, if you remove the 'y' to make it a noun, that's a different story.

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-12-27 at 01:44
Old 2008-12-27, 01:50   #3
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Ahem. I didn't know bitchy was a bad word. It's only describing a state of annoyance. lol

Now, if you remove the 'y' to make it a noun, that's a different story.
Um...well, at least from what I've seen, derivatives from swear words are usually considered swear words, too.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 01:56   #4
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

101000000001002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
Um...well, at least from what I've seen, derivatives from swear words are usually considered swear words, too.

So we can't say frick, friggin, fudge, etc. as is commonly used by my teenagers? (lol) And no, I don't allow any outright swearing in the house nor does their mom in her house.

Obviously this is a useless debate and things are different in different households, states, countries, parts of the U.S., etc. To avoid any issues here, I'll avoid use of the term previously used.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-12-27 at 01:58
Old 2008-12-27, 02:01   #5
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
So we can't say frick, friggin, fudge, etc. as is commonly used by my teenagers? (lol) And no, I don't allow any outright swearing in the house nor does their mom in her house.
Hmm...well, the derivations of those particular words is not necessarily from swear words anyway. The first two can be traced back to "freak", which is obviously not a swear word, and "fudge" is obviously just a tasty food.
Old 2008-12-27, 03:06   #6
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

280416 Posts

Quote:
Hmm...well, the derivations of those particular words is not necessarily from swear words anyway. The first two can be traced back to "freak", which is obviously not a swear word, and "fudge" is obviously just a tasty food.

Oh, you're stretchin' there Max. Clearly you don't have teenage kids. When my son says, "Well, frick!" when he can't figure out a homework problem or has a computer issue, he definitely doesn't mean "Well, freak". lmao

Yes, in the literal sense of the word "derivative", you're probably correct that my use of the b..... word is a derivative of the swear word and the ones that my teenagers use are not derviates of the f... word, but in the contectual sense, the ones they use definitely go right back to the swear word!

We should have a "misc." thread in the 2 projects for discussions such as this kind of like the main forum does. I like the one where they have grammatical pet peaves. I think such debates can be fun as long as people don't get nasty or anything.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-12-27 at 03:10
Old 2008-12-27, 06:43   #7
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

Quote:
Oh, you're stretchin' there Max. Clearly you don't have teenage kids. When my son says, "Well, frick!" when he can't figure out a homework problem or has a computer issue, he definitely doesn't mean "Well, freak". lmao

Yes, in the literal sense of the word "derivative", you're probably correct that my use of the b..... word is a derivative of the swear word and the ones that my teenagers use are not derviates of the f... word, but in the contectual sense, the ones they use definitely go right back to the swear word!

We should have a "misc." thread in the 2 projects for discussions such as this kind of like the main forum does. I like the one where they have grammatical pet peaves. I think such debates can be fun as long as people don't get nasty or anything.

Gary
Hmm...well, I guess in that particular usage of "frick", it could be traced back to the swear word. When you mentioned it the first thing that came to mind was the context of "this frickin math problem doesn't want to work out!" or something along those lines.

Interesting that you mention the grammatical pet peeves thread...maybe this would be an interesting discussion to move there? (Or maybe it deserves its own thread in the Lounge? Regardless, it's probably better suited there than in the Conjectures 'R Us forum.)
Old 2008-12-27, 06:47   #8
IronBits
I ♥ BOINC!

Oct 2002
Glendale, AZ. (USA)

3·7·53 Posts

You guys are frick and frack.
Up to you to figure out which witch is which tho
IronBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-27, 07:35   #9
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×13×197 Posts

Quote:
Hmm...well, I guess in that particular usage of "frick", it could be traced back to the swear word. When you mentioned it the first thing that came to mind was the context of "this frickin math problem doesn't want to work out!" or something along those lines.

Interesting that you mention the grammatical pet peeves thread...maybe this would be an interesting discussion to move there? (Or maybe it deserves its own thread in the Lounge? Regardless, it's probably better suited there than in the Conjectures 'R Us forum.)

Funny...I must have a dirtier mind than you. lol

Used in your context, I would also trace it back to the swear word. I've heard people use "freakin'" or "frickin'" or "friggin'" before in that context but I always thought they were just trying to avoid use of the f...in' word.

To loosen or lighten up the projects a little, I think that a misc. thread like this would be good here. Even my pet hamster had suggested something like a "joke of the day" or "funny" thread within the project threads when I started them. Stuff like this just lightens the mood a little. I may do it at some point.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-12-27 at 07:36
Old 2008-12-30, 10:14   #10
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·13·197 Posts

Quote:
Funny...I must have a dirtier mind than you. lol

Used in your context, I would also trace it back to the swear word. I've heard people use "freakin'" or "frickin'" or "friggin'" before in that context but I always thought they were just trying to avoid use of the f...in' word.

To loosen or lighten up the projects a little, I think that a misc. thread like this would be good here. Even my pet hamster had suggested something like a "joke of the day" or "funny" thread within the project threads when I started them. Stuff like this just lightens the mood a little. I may do it at some point.

Gary

Now, I have to ask everyone, did anyone happen to see what Mike (Xyzzy) did to my post?

He is such a ham!

He changed "XYZZY" to "my pet hamster".

And of course he's able to change it without the little "last fiddled with" message appearing at the bottom. Pretty sneaky!

Thanks for always giving me a good laugh Mike!

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2008-12-30 at 10:15
Old 2008-12-30, 14:06   #11
Flatlander
I quite division it

"Chris"
Feb 2005
England

1000000111012 Posts

Quote:
He is such a h__!

Gary
You should know that that word is highly offensive in Flatland.
Flatlander is offline   Reply With Quote