mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-09-29, 06:35   #1
phma
 
Sep 2020

22·3 Posts
Default Could you set up reverse DNS?

In KSysGuard, I noticed a stream of packets of data going out. This is new, so I fired up Etherape to see what's going on. It's going to 162.212.57.131. I had to look up how to use lsof to find the process sending it. It's mprime uploading the proof. Forward DNS of mersenne.org is 162.212.57.131. Could you set up the reverse DNS, so that anyone else seeing this would know immediately what it is?
phma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 18:21   #2
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

CCD16 Posts
Default

The last time I checked into doing that (a while ago), our hosting provider didn't allow setting up PTR records for our assigned IP addresses.

I can check again, but it may not be possible. I do agree that it's always best to create those records, especially to help with just the situation you ran into where you're trying to troubleshoot traffic to an unknown address.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 07:22   #3
S485122
 
S485122's Avatar
 
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

110001111012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
The last time I checked into doing that (a while ago), our hosting provider didn't allow setting up PTR records for our assigned IP addresses.

I can check again, but it may not be possible. I do agree that it's always best to create those records, especially to help with just the situation you ran into where you're trying to troubleshoot traffic to an unknown address.
I can't understand why that provider doesn't provide PTR records. They are necessary to conform to the rules for instance for NS and MX records. You might point out to that provider that there are ways to delegate PTR records see rfc2317 if managing a record for a customer is to much for them.

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-10, 18:27   #4
Madpoo
Serpentine Vermin Jar
 
Madpoo's Avatar
 
Jul 2014

29·113 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
I can't understand why that provider doesn't provide PTR records. They are necessary to conform to the rules for instance for NS and MX records. You might point out to that provider that there are ways to delegate PTR records see rfc2317 if managing a record for a customer is to much for them.

Jacob
It might be a limit of the access I have at our hosting provider. George looked too but didn't see anything. It may be the type of thing we could send a manual request to have a PTR added, but I'm not sure... it isn't high on my priority list.

Back when I ran a busy email server, I experimented a bit with different anti-spam rules and tried out flagging emails where the sending server didn't have a PTR (or the PTR didn't match the forward name). There were so many false positives that it just wasn't practical.

Especially with things like SPF that provide a much better check of that same thing, I'm not aware of any of the big email providers that use PTRs. I could be wrong.

In general, most of the emails sent out from the Primenet server are being delivered okay. Those are things like the password reset emails, new user "welcome" emails, "your machine returned a bad result" messages (if the user signed up for that), etc.

We do have some cases where the remote systems are rejecting us but since they don't give a reason why, it could be anything. We do have valid SPF, and beyond that, if a remote system is refusing the incoming email, well, that's a bummer, but that's the danger of having the anti-spam analysis kicked up to 11.

We try to help out in those cases where a user is trying to reset their password but didn't get the email... typically they email George and we'll relay the reset message directly to them. Maybe one of these days I'll dig into it more, maybe see if we can't relay those emails instead of sending directly from the server so we can avoid the hassles.
Madpoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-11, 05:49   #5
Mark Rose
 
Mark Rose's Avatar
 
"/X\(‘-‘)/X\"
Jan 2013

55428 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpoo View Post
It might be a limit of the access I have at our hosting provider. George looked too but didn't see anything. It may be the type of thing we could send a manual request to have a PTR added, but I'm not sure... it isn't high on my priority list.

Back when I ran a busy email server, I experimented a bit with different anti-spam rules and tried out flagging emails where the sending server didn't have a PTR (or the PTR didn't match the forward name). There were so many false positives that it just wasn't practical.

Especially with things like SPF that provide a much better check of that same thing, I'm not aware of any of the big email providers that use PTRs. I could be wrong.

In general, most of the emails sent out from the Primenet server are being delivered okay. Those are things like the password reset emails, new user "welcome" emails, "your machine returned a bad result" messages (if the user signed up for that), etc.

We do have some cases where the remote systems are rejecting us but since they don't give a reason why, it could be anything. We do have valid SPF, and beyond that, if a remote system is refusing the incoming email, well, that's a bummer, but that's the danger of having the anti-spam analysis kicked up to 11.

We try to help out in those cases where a user is trying to reset their password but didn't get the email... typically they email George and we'll relay the reset message directly to them. Maybe one of these days I'll dig into it more, maybe see if we can't relay those emails instead of sending directly from the server so we can avoid the hassles.
Do you also have dkim and dmarc configured?
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reverse Quarantine a1call Lounge 19 2020-04-01 10:28
REVERSE DIGITS IN FACTORDB enzocreti FactorDB 4 2018-05-05 21:02
Reverse memory lookup ewmayer Programming 6 2012-11-12 00:25
Reverse home primes themaster Factoring 12 2008-09-27 14:44
Reverse Decomp Program nfortino LMH > 100M 2 2004-01-30 22:38

All times are UTC. The time now is 03:23.

Tue Dec 1 03:23:09 UTC 2020 up 82 days, 34 mins, 1 user, load averages: 1.70, 1.82, 1.80

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.