Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Conjectures 'R Us

Old 2009-01-07, 12:49   #12
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

5·571 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
Here's a question for the higher-math types: Can you reverse engineer a residual? That is: I'll post a residual and people can tell me what test(s) it applies to. I assume that it could apply to an infinite # of tests but the percentage of total tests would be very small. I'm sure if you kept the k-value, base, and n-value relatively small when doing the reverse engineering that it would only apply to just a few possible tests.

That would be an interesting question to pose in some sort of "puzzles" forum.
that would be on the other side a crosscheck! get a resudial and say what k/n-pair was tested! a 1-n relation, i think not practicable. but perhaps someone wil do it.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 13:47   #13
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Quote:
Here's a question for the higher-math types: Can you reverse engineer a residual? That is: I'll post a residual and people can tell me what test(s) it applies to. I assume that it could apply to an infinite # of tests but the percentage of total tests would be very small. I'm sure if you kept the k-value, base, and n-value relatively small when doing the reverse engineering that it would only apply to just a few possible tests.

That would be an interesting question to pose in some sort of "puzzles" forum.
I think that besides a brute-force, reverse-md5-style attack (like what this site does: http://md5.rednoize.com/ it did a dictionary lookup for many words, and when anybody does an md5 encode, it stores that for reversal), I don't see any way to do this. If there was, wouldn't they do that for residue=0 to find primes more easily?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
the command is correct:

try: help copy
and you got an overview of the parameters.

try
copy lresults.txt+lresults1.txt+lresults2.txt+lresults13.txt all.txt
and all 4 result-files will be copy to one named "all.txt"

an easier way:
copy *.txt all.txt
will copy all *.txt-file in the directory to 'all.txt'

done!
The problem is that I have many (dozens, maybe a hundred) lresults files with only four different names in many folders. Unless the *.txt could also be told to do all *.txt in all subfolders, this doesn't help very much.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2009-01-07 at 13:48
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 18:23   #14
michaf

Jan 2005

479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Geek View Post
I think that besides a brute-force, reverse-md5-style attack (like what this site does: http://md5.rednoize.com/ it did a dictionary lookup for many words, and when anybody does an md5 encode, it stores that for reversal), I don't see any way to do this. If there was, wouldn't they do that for residue=0 to find primes more easily?

The problem is that I have many (dozens, maybe a hundred) lresults files with only four different names in many folders. Unless the *.txt could also be told to do all *.txt in all subfolders, this doesn't help very much.
This is how I prove all the prp-file:

type *prp* > infile

(All files have prp in it,and I need a inputfile for pfgw...)

so in your case: type *.txt > all_in_one_file

(Don't give that last file a .txt extension, as it will recurse...)

Oh, and I think it is impossible to reverse-engineer...it is not the whole residue that is reported.

Last fiddled with by michaf on 2009-01-07 at 18:25
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 18:59   #15
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaf View Post
This is how I prove all the prp-file:

type *prp* > infile

(All files have prp in it,and I need a inputfile for pfgw...)

so in your case: type *.txt > all_in_one_file

(Don't give that last file a .txt extension, as it will recurse...)
Again, this only runs on .txt files in the current directory. I have many lresults files in many subdirectories under one folder. Is there any way to make a command run on all subdirectories? (in case you're wondering, I've tried and it doesn't accept something like *\*.txt as a path)

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2009-01-07 at 19:01
Old 2009-01-07, 22:45   #16
michaf

Jan 2005

1DF16 Posts

Quote:
Again, this only runs on .txt files in the current directory. I have many lresults files in many subdirectories under one folder. Is there any way to make a command run on all subdirectories? (in case you're wondering, I've tried and it doesn't accept something like *\*.txt as a path)
Sorry, I did miss that part. What you can do is a search with windows, copy all files to one (new) folder, and then use that type command.

(And most likely, there will be a much easier way, which I overlooked :) )
michaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-07, 22:55   #17
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

102538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaf View Post
Sorry, I did miss that part. What you can do is a search with windows, copy all files to one (new) folder, and then use that type command.

(And most likely, there will be a much easier way, which I overlooked :) )
That would work, except that they're basically all the same file name. (four different file names over about 35 total files to be precise, probably ~3-10 more from when I archived core 2's results in another spot...that's really not too many, but I really dislike doing boring one-by-one manual junk like that, I'd rather find an automatic way of doing it)
Old 2009-01-08, 00:27   #18
MooooMoo
Apprentice Crank

Mar 2006

1110000112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlander View Post
Who can find the longest word? (Or who is going to write a program to find them?)
I found the words beef:

1991*2^337778-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: 18669FB70B4BBEEF Time : 184.279 sec.

fade:

1991*2^298630-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: F3D29BFADE12DE81 Time : 156.921 sec.

and dead:

19*2^1163429-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: B22E9E6C3306DEAD Time : 1791.763 sec.

but nothing longer. That may not be too impressive, so I'll propose a challenge to any animal-rights activists out there: Find me a residue that contains the sequence "BEEF15BAD" (uses the number 15 to represent the word "IS") and I'll stop eating beef for the rest of my life.

The number used to generate that residue (???*?^??? + / - 1) must be at least 10,000 digits long, so no testing of small numbers to produce quick residues.

edit: The sequence must be in the original base-16 residue. No converting to ascii is allowed

Last fiddled with by MooooMoo on 2009-01-08 at 00:28
MooooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 00:44   #19
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·13·197 Posts

Quote:
That would work, except that they're basically all the same file name. (four different file names over about 35 total files to be precise, probably ~3-10 more from when I archived core 2's results in another spot...that's really not too many, but I really dislike doing boring one-by-one manual junk like that, I'd rather find an automatic way of doing it)

I know you like automating stuff but in this case, manually renaming/copying/moving or whatever it is you're after for 35 files would only take 10-20 mins.

Unless you will extensively use an automated script in the future (or gain programming knowledge that may be beneficial elsewhere), wouldn't it be better to be bored for a few mins.? lol

You think that's boring, try spending hours deleting hundred of primes posts while keeping some of the more relavent ones to compile interesting info. about. Snooze.

Just my two cents...

Gary
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 00:49   #20
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·13·197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooooMoo View Post
I found the words beef:

1991*2^337778-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: 18669FB70B4BBEEF Time : 184.279 sec.

fade:

1991*2^298630-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: F3D29BFADE12DE81 Time : 156.921 sec.

and dead:

19*2^1163429-1 is not prime. LLR Res64: B22E9E6C3306DEAD Time : 1791.763 sec.

but nothing longer. That may not be too impressive, so I'll propose a challenge to any animal-rights activists out there: Find me a residue that contains the sequence "BEEF15BAD" (uses the number 15 to represent the word "IS") and I'll stop eating beef for the rest of my life.

The number used to generate that residue (???*?^??? + / - 1) must be at least 10,000 digits long, so no testing of small numbers to produce quick residues.

edit: The sequence must be in the original base-16 residue. No converting to ascii is allowed

Nice ones Mike! Very interesting.

So, if we find the "BEEF15BAD" residue, how can we know that you'll hold up your end of the bargain? Unless you're already a vegetarian, that would be quite a life change. (Meee's thinks he may already be a vegetarian so wouldn't be too hard; lol)

You guys have me thinking a little. I may start mulling through my gobs of results in the next few days and see what I come up with. I've personally never deleted any of my own and of course I have many thousands from others.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-01-08 at 00:50
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-01-08, 01:04   #21
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17×251 Posts

By my calculations, there's a 1 in 8589934592 (16^9/8 because there's 16 combinations per character, 9 characters, and 8 positions it can start from in a residue of these lengths; correct me if I'm wrong) chance that any particular residue contains BEEF15BAD. I'd say you're taking a fairly safe bet.
Quote:
I know you like automating stuff but in this case, manually renaming/copying/moving or whatever it is you're after for 35 files would only take 10-20 mins.

Unless you will extensively use an automated script in the future (or gain programming knowledge that may be beneficial elsewhere), wouldn't it be better to be bored for a few mins.? lol
Yeah, I must admit it'd be better to do it manually. I'll do it sometime. I do dislike it though.
Quote:
You think that's boring, try spending hours deleting hundred of primes posts while keeping some of the more relavent ones to compile interesting info. about. Snooze.

Just my two cents...

Gary

Quote:
So, if we find the "BEEF15BAD" residue, how can we know that you'll hold up your end of the bargain? Unless you're already a vegetarian, that would be quite a life change. (Meee's thinks he may already be a vegetarian so wouldn't be too hard; lol)
Keep in mind that he only said he'd give up beef, not all meat. Lamb, bacon/ham/pork, and fish (and probably some exotic meats, but I wouldn't personally know) are rather tasty.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2009-01-08 at 01:08
Old 2009-01-08, 02:44   #22
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

792 Posts

1055*2^114698-1 is not prime. Res64: 6AA0A60606F35F60 Time : 15.043 sec.

This one has a very long stretch of just A's, 6's, and 0's.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote