mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > Hardware > GPU Computing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2019-03-05, 09:53   #1
SELROC
 

3·17·179 Posts
Default New GPU computing system (experimental)

I got a new mainboard to test. Unfortunately the board has Gen2 PCIe slots (full-width), as such it does not work with ROCm.


Installed Ubuntu 18.04.2 and now trying to install amdgpu-pro.


Installation of amdgpu-pro fails, but this appears to be a common bug (by reading through the forums).


So I am digging documentation and forums to attempt to understand where is the bug and how to workaround.


If someone has the same problem, lets unite forces and fight the bug.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-05, 15:54   #2
SELROC
 

22×31×47 Posts
Default Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
I got a new mainboard to test. Unfortunately the board has Gen2 PCIe slots (full-width), as such it does not work with ROCm.


Installed Ubuntu 18.04.2 and now trying to install amdgpu-pro.


Installation of amdgpu-pro fails, but this appears to be a common bug (by reading through the forums).


So I am digging documentation and forums to attempt to understand where is the bug and how to workaround.


If someone has the same problem, lets unite forces and fight the bug.

It turns out that Ubuntu live-server does not have the multiverse repository by default, it must be added, after that amdgpu-pro installs successfully.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-07, 08:34   #3
SELROC
 

1101101000112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
It turns out that Ubuntu live-server does not have the multiverse repository by default, it must be added, after that amdgpu-pro installs successfully.

Validated both gpuowl and mfakto on the main-board with Ubuntu live-server 18.04.2 and amdgpu-pro 18.50.


1. GpuOwl was validated against prime 44497.
2. Mfakto was validated with self-tests and perftest.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-08, 11:00   #4
SELROC
 

43058 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
Validated both gpuowl and mfakto on the main-board with Ubuntu live-server 18.04.2 and amdgpu-pro 18.50.


1. GpuOwl was validated against prime 44497.
2. Mfakto was validated with self-tests and perftest.



I'm working hard here but I won't tell you which mobo it is until I start real computation :-P
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-12, 07:19   #5
SELROC
 

7·101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
It turns out that Ubuntu live-server does not have the multiverse repository by default, it must be added, after that amdgpu-pro installs successfully.

I must add that amdgpu-pro 18.50 has gained much stability.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-03-25, 09:14   #6
SELROC
 

2×179 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
I'm working hard here but I won't tell you which mobo it is until I start real computation :-P

OK this main board is just over the top.


Name: BTC-HM65


https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B250...7-b6e73995c8fc
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-26, 06:24   #7
SELROC
 

22×499 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
OK this main board is just over the top.


Name: BTC-HM65


https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B250...7-b6e73995c8fc



I have downgraded the kernel from 5.0.0 to 4.18 in order to install the new driver amdgpu-pro 19.10. It seems to carry a tiny performance increase on the RX580.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-26, 06:55   #8
M344587487
 
M344587487's Avatar
 
"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

11011111012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
OK this main board is just over the top.


Name: BTC-HM65


https://www.aliexpress.com/item/B250...7-b6e73995c8fc
That looks ideal apart from gen 2 slots, a mobo that can run 8 cards nicely spaced with CPU included. It's like a giant riser with the gubbins you're rising from integrated underneath. What's the postage cost like from ali express or did you source it from elsewhere? Can it run Radeon VII with ROCm?


edit: The last question is because of this from ROCm:
Quote:
GFX8 GPUs require PCI Express 3.0 (PCIe 3.0) with support for PCIe atomics. This requires both CPU and motherboard support. GFX9 GPUs, by default, also require PCIe 3.0 with support for PCIe atomics, but they can operate in most cases without this capability.

Last fiddled with by M344587487 on 2019-04-26 at 06:58
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-26, 08:16   #9
SELROC
 

11010011110012 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
That looks ideal apart from gen 2 slots, a mobo that can run 8 cards nicely spaced with CPU included. It's like a giant riser with the gubbins you're rising from integrated underneath. What's the postage cost like from ali express or did you source it from elsewhere? Can it run Radeon VII with ROCm?


edit: The last question is because of this from ROCm:

The specification of the main board says it supports gfx8, and it has 8 power connectors, that doesn't fit gfx9 gpus that have 2 power connectors (the main board would need 16).
I run it with amdgpu-pro, the cost is approx. 105 Euro + 4 Euro of shipping cost.

Last fiddled with by SELROC on 2019-04-26 at 08:18
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-01, 18:25   #10
SELROC
 

257E16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by M344587487 View Post
That looks ideal apart from gen 2 slots, a mobo that can run 8 cards nicely spaced with CPU included. It's like a giant riser with the gubbins you're rising from integrated underneath. What's the postage cost like from ali express or did you source it from elsewhere? Can it run Radeon VII with ROCm?


edit: The last question is because of this from ROCm:

Even with Gen2 slots the overall performance is better than the classical RIG with risers. GpuOwl timing for wave-front 89M exponents is 4.08~4.20 ms/sq.


The board does not support ROCm, but the new amdgpu-pro version performs very well.
  Reply With Quote
Old 2019-05-01, 22:03   #11
M344587487
 
M344587487's Avatar
 
"Composite as Heck"
Oct 2017

19·47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SELROC View Post
The specification of the main board says it supports gfx8, and it has 8 power connectors, that doesn't fit gfx9 gpus that have 2 power connectors (the main board would need 16).
I run it with amdgpu-pro, the cost is approx. 105 Euro + 4 Euro of shipping cost.
Why would the board need 16 connectors? The 8 pin power cables go directly from PSU to GPU, the power connectors on the board next to the slots are to supply 75W from the PCIe slot. I don't get why the 8 connectors lining the bottom of the board from your link exist.
M344587487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Experimental lasieve4_64, compiled with MinGW-w64! Dan Ee Factoring 40 2016-02-08 20:32
GPU Computing Cheat Sheet (a.k.a. GPU Computing Guide) Brain GPU Computing 20 2015-10-25 18:39
new experimental banners for GIMPS ixfd64 Lounge 14 2007-12-17 01:22
Experimental confirmation of General Relativity davieddy Science & Technology 17 2007-08-14 21:29
The difference between P2P and distributed computing and grid computing GP2 Lounge 2 2003-12-03 14:13

All times are UTC. The time now is 00:03.


Sat May 21 00:03:59 UTC 2022 up 36 days, 22:05, 0 users, load averages: 2.00, 1.93, 1.65

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔