mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Forum Feedback

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-07-14, 23:22   #1
Stargate38
 
Stargate38's Avatar
 
"Daniel Jackson"
May 2011
14285714285714285714

12148 Posts
Lightbulb Reasons for bans should be made public.

I really think that for every banned user, the reason (i.e. spam, troll, malware, sock puppet, ban evasion, etc.) should be put in the last post they made (or on their profile), as well as the duration of the ban (1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 6 months, 1 year, permanent, etc.). That way people will know why any given person was blocked from the site. For example:

Code:
John Doe was banned because of this post. Reason: rude comment. Duration: 1 week.
The reason I'm asking is because I don't know why Zcyyu and JeppeSN are banned. I really think that information should be made available to the general public or, at the very least, to registered users, as I've been wondering why certain users are banned, even though the last visible post doesn't break any rules.

Last fiddled with by Stargate38 on 2020-07-14 at 23:23 Reason: typo
Stargate38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 00:35   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

22×3×17×47 Posts
Default

The reason that JeppeSN was banned is stated here:
https://www.mersenneforum.org/showpo...2&postcount=27
It is the same reason that R.D. Silverman was banned. Bob got it for just the initials, Jeppe for the full words. The lengths of time for the bans were chosen taking various factors into account.

I will let the mod who banned Zcyyu give their reason (and why the length). The users that are banned normally receive the reason that they are banned. If they are a first time poster/spammer, sometimes the mods don't even bother with that.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 02:18   #3
retina
Undefined
 
retina's Avatar
 
"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

137778 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Bob got it for just the initials, Jeppe for the full words.
I think that more to the point, it isn't just the words, but the intent, target and tone. Individual words can mean anything or nothing without context to clarify.

For example this is the first result when searching for those initials on WP.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 02:28   #4
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·32·11·23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I will let the mod who banned Zcyyu give their reason (and why the length). The users that are banned normally receive the reason that they are banned. If they are a first time poster/spammer, sometimes the mods don't even bother with that.
This particular user was the subject of cautions about reposting the same material repeatedly. These cautions, both informal and formal, were posted publicly in the thread he started.

The user became the subject of discussion amongst the Moderators. That discussion included one Moderator mentioning postings to other threads being moved to the original thread, and had progressed to the point where one Moderator suggested a 3-month ban, and another indicated the user should be banned.

I reviewed the situation and decided to do the honors. Three months seemed reasonable. The length of the ban is three months. The reason is "excessive multiposting." If another Mod wants to commute it, fine with me.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 02:42   #5
paulunderwood
 
paulunderwood's Avatar
 
Sep 2002
Database er0rr

3,677 Posts
Default

I banned eric1999, some say excessively, for ever for what seemed to me a politically motivated racial slur. I guess if he promises to behave he is welcome back!
paulunderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 13:19   #6
masser
 
masser's Avatar
 
Jul 2003
wear a mask

1,613 Posts
Default

I disagree with the recent decision to ban RDS. The original post in that thread, and several others by that author, belong in the Misc. Math or blogorrhea sections. I can understand the frustration the mathematicians on the forum have for the stubbornly ill-informed posts that are little more than numerology.
masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 13:30   #7
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

26·167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
I disagree with the recent decision to ban RDS. The original post in that thread, and several others by that author, belong in the Misc. Math or blogorrhea sections. I can understand the frustration the mathematicians on the forum have for the stubbornly ill-informed posts that are little more than numerology.
I have a lot of sympathy for Bob, as many long-time forum members know. I've spent over 20 years trying to get him to show a calmer, more-measured tone in his public pronouncements, despite the lack of reciprocity shown by differently-clued posters and the provocation he receives.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 13:56   #8
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101Γ—103 Posts

958810 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
I disagree with the recent decision to ban RDS. The original post in that thread, and several others by that author, belong in the Misc. Math or blogorrhea sections.
Other peoples' poor behaviour or willful ignorance does not justify rude language. I did not move the thread in question as I could no be certain if it truly merited the move. If any mod wants to contravene the ban, they can.

Like Paul, I have been trying to get Bob to understand that he has a couple of options with regard to the inane. One is to tell them where there folly is, then give a single reply after their response, then ignore them. Second is to realize that he does not have to respond to every nut.

BTW, yesterday I banned a spammer that tried to spam on their first post. Since it was a first post, it was moderated. So, the average user never saw it. Most bans are spammers.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 16:30   #9
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter
 
LaurV's Avatar
 
Jun 2011
Thailand

22×17×139 Posts
Default

I like RDS, and appreciate him for his knowledge, in spite of our public altercations (usually, that's when he sends me to the books, and he is kinda right about that). However, I think that the ban will help him calm down a bit. As Unc' said, he is not obliged to intervene in such debates where he feels like cursing, etc.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2020-07-15 at 16:32
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 17:48   #10
Prime95
P90 years forever!
 
Prime95's Avatar
 
Aug 2002
Yeehaw, FL

165048 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
I like RDS, and appreciate him for his knowledge, in spite of our public altercations (usually, that's when he sends me to the books, and he is kinda right about that). However, I think that the ban will help him calm down a bit. As Unc' said, he is not obliged to intervene in such debates where he feels like cursing, etc.
I have been pleasantly surprised with RDS's restraint since his last reinstatement.
Prime95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-07-15, 17:52   #11
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

26×167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime95 View Post
I have been pleasantly surprised with RDS's restraint since his last reinstatement.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
US public debts Till Soap Box 16 2019-08-02 13:44
Get username through public name? UBR47K PrimeNet 0 2015-10-11 16:47
Reasons for religious studies (and/or study of religion) R.D. Silverman Lounge 27 2015-04-28 13:30
reasons why a LL test would be redundant William Labbett Information & Answers 2 2011-10-11 11:03
A public thanks devarajkandadai Math 0 2007-11-18 04:59

All times are UTC. The time now is 01:45.

Wed May 19 01:45:56 UTC 2021 up 40 days, 20:26, 0 users, load averages: 2.64, 2.40, 2.25

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.