mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2013-12-08, 05:48   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

66638 Posts
Default Tablet as wireless computer monitor

One of the problems with giving children computer equipment is that, well, you're giving a child computer equipment. You're trusting someone who's been scientifically proven to probably have poor judgement with an expensive, and probably fragile item.

But what if you could allow the child to use expensive stuff without putting it in their hands? What if you have them a wireless interface that had a monitor and a battery? So any computer that had the proper software could compute for the tablet and the tablet would stream the content, be it a game or a video, with the truly low computational stuff being done locally because the hardware is cheaper and expendable.

I guess it would be something similar to Google's Chromebooks, except I'm not sure if the keyboard is detachable. You'd probably want to restrict the purchasing ability to the home computer so that a "helpful neighbor" running the software for the kid on their computer wouldn't be able to steal money by sniffing packets.(hope I used that term right)

What do you guys think? Have I reinvented something that already exists?
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 06:10   #2
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

6BF16 Posts

I do like the idea of this. I just don't see it flying quite yet.

I had originally made the comparison to the existing iPad and AppleTV (or any other tablet + mirroring combo) but it kind of went on and on and wasn't as coherent as I would like. Anyone who looks at the edit history on this post is going to see a massive change as I'm pretty much starting over.

The better way to approach this (bypassing the nasty creatures with eyes in front) is to say that we need a device which includes really good bandwidth and latency[1], a display, and some form of input which is either keyboard + mouse or touchscreen. Low computing power, but enough to handle an actual display and the inputs themselves.

Cramming that all into one box isn't going to be any cheaper than the laptop or tablet itself, sadly.

[1] Here's a bit from my old post regarding the need for really really good connectivity.

WiDi I think is what some group (Intel, off the top of my head, possibly) is trying to call this wireless display technology. Shouldn't be too difficult as 1080p 30 FPS streams are very commonplace (60 FPS haven't quite made their appearance: it's not every computer that can actually handle this!)

The problems with this in conjunction with any interactive software is probably going to be the delay. While I can stream 1080p just fine on a normal day, when I first hit play, there's the five or so seconds of delay which will include buffering as well, but there's some overhead for the actual connection. After I hit play, everything comes at me and the interaction stops.

The closest thing that does exist is a tablet + mirroring (i.e. iPad + AppleTV) where whatever is on the iPad is displayed exactly (mirrored) to whatever the AppleTV happens to be connected to (a TV for example). My mother has this setup. It's bad. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. Slideshows are unwatchable as the pictures take a couple of seconds to get sent over to the AppleTV. This is supposed to work without an internet connection. It's over WiFi, but it's local. And there's still somehow lag.

Last fiddled with by TheMawn on 2013-12-08 at 06:17
TheMawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 18:38   #3
xilman
Bamboozled!

"π’‰Ίπ’ŒŒπ’‡·π’†·π’€­"
May 2003
Down not across

2×3×13×137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMawn View Post
we need a device which includes really good bandwidth and latency[1], a display, and some form of input which is either keyboard + mouse or touchscreen. Low computing power, but enough to handle an actual display and the inputs themselves.
TheMawn re-invents the X-terminal. Film at 11.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 18:51   #4
Mark Rose

"/X\(β€˜-β€˜)/X\"
Jan 2013

3·977 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
TheMawn re-invents the X-terminal. Film at 11.
Except X-terminals tend to be more expensive than full-fledged PCs ;)
Mark Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-08, 23:35   #5
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

172710 Posts

I apologize for not being born when that existed. Lol
Old 2013-12-26, 10:36   #6
lavalamp

Oct 2007
Manchester, UK

53F16 Posts

A tablet or small laptop running a thin client might fit the bill. Of course, these are not exactly inexpensive either...

When I was only knee high to a grasshopper I played with BBC Microcomputers just fine and managed not to break them, so perhaps the solution is to let them play with a desktop, it's harder to knock them off tables or accidentally sit on them.
lavalamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-27, 20:10   #7
f1pokerspeed

Jun 2012

2·53 Posts

What about the use of an interactive whiteboard? It's relatively cheap, allows for remote processing and (with the use of a projector) is a great input/output device.

SMART Tech. Whiteboards
f1pokerspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-02, 01:56   #8
TheMawn

May 2013
East. Always East.

11·157 Posts

The Smart Boards I have used / seen used have very very bad latency and accuracy in terms of knowing where you're trying to write. Not quite suitable to the OP, but for sure a step in the right direction. I had forgotten about those, TBH.