mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2011-05-08, 14:07   #1
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default bill authentication

my mom is sorting stuff to put in bins and she originally said it was play money but I looked it up ( because I thought it looked Russian even though I don't know Russian) it appears to be real from what I can find is there any way to authenticate this 5 russian ruble bill from 1961 ?

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2011-05-08 at 14:19
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 14:25   #2
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

100101010110012 Posts
Default

Take it to your local coin shop and see what they think.
BTW it is a 'note' not a 'bill'.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=1961+5+ruble+note

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2011-05-08 at 14:28
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 14:25   #3
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26×131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
my mom is sorting stuff to put in bins and she originally said it was play money but I looked it up ( because I thought it looked Russian even though I don't know Russian) it appears to be real from what I can find is there any way to authenticate this 5 russian ruble bill from 1961 ?
mind you either way the condition isn't great
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 14:34   #4
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts
Default

5 soviet rubles would have been worth perhaps 5 bucks nominal at the time, with some things only available for dollars and not rubles. It's value is mainly as a curio, you may need to wait a century or two before it becomes a serious antique.

For starters, feel the paper, ask yourself if it looks like paper money. If yes, then it likely is the real deal. Beyond that, google is your friend -- though I'm not sure which numismatic sites are serious -- possibly look up counterfeit rubles or counterfeit paper money and see what you get.
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 14:37   #5
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
5 soviet rubles would have been worth perhaps 5 bucks nominal at the time, with some things only available for dollars and not rubles. It's value is mainly as a curio, you may need to wait a century or two before it becomes a serious antique.

For starters, feel the paper, ask yourself if it looks like paper money. If yes, then it likely is the real deal. Beyond that, google is your friend -- though I'm not sure which numismatic sites are serious -- possibly look up counterfeit rubles or counterfeit paper money and see what you get.
money + russia +"5 ruble" + 1961 is what I googled and the first image I get back is what it looks like :

http://worldmoneymax.com/?/item-100/

of course the wording I see doesn't look like what wikipedia says.

serial number it has on it is 33 2290291

Last fiddled with by science_man_88 on 2011-05-08 at 14:47
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 18:59   #6
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

5·359 Posts
Default

If you check uncwilly's results, it's worth between 1 and 5 dollars, and you will discover that there were two different 5 ruble notes available in 1961. Don't let davar know you have it, or he will think you are a soviet spy! ;-)
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-08, 19:46   #7
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

838410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
If you check uncwilly's results, it's worth between 1 and 5 dollars, and you will discover that there were two different 5 ruble notes available in 1961. Don't let davar know you have it, or he will think you are a soviet spy! ;-)
I'm too stupid and young to be a spy.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 00:35   #8
jasong
 
jasong's Avatar
 
"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

1101101100112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I'm too stupid and young to be a spy.
Humility is the key to wisdom, though you probably shouldn't be a spy even if you're smart enough for it. James Bond is a sociopath if you think about it. Of course, a lot of Hollywood heroes are sociopaths.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 00:39   #9
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

838410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Humility is the key to wisdom, though you probably shouldn't be a spy even if you're smart enough for it. James Bond is a sociopath if you think about it. Of course, a lot of Hollywood heroes are sociopaths.
funny you bring up sociopaths because I sound like how they describe it on CSI and criminal minds( which I'm watching at present).
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 01:51   #10
Christenson
 
Christenson's Avatar
 
Dec 2010
Monticello

5×359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by science_man_88 View Post
I'm too stupid and young to be a spy.
sm88, it doesn't matter...the comment was about davar's automatic reactions. how do we know you aren't the next Colombo?
Christenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 19:40   #11
science_man_88
 
science_man_88's Avatar
 
"Forget I exist"
Jul 2009
Dumbassville

26·131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christenson View Post
sm88, it doesn't matter...the comment was about davar's automatic reactions. how do we know you aren't the next Colombo?
well my last IQ test was on Facebook and I only got 140. I was told in grade eight I might have Asperger's syndrome ( never confirmed and I don't know if I ever plan on that) so I'd stick out like a sore thumb socially and be unlikely not to get caught.
science_man_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Waxman-Markey AKA Cap-and-Trade Bill AES Soap Box 114 2009-07-06 03:11
Say what you will about Bill Gates... ewmayer Soap Box 22 2006-06-29 18:31

All times are UTC. The time now is 09:12.

Mon May 10 09:12:47 UTC 2021 up 32 days, 3:53, 0 users, load averages: 1.72, 1.73, 1.86

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.