Old 2021-04-16, 21:24   #265
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·7·11·41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokemonlover123 View Post
How would I be able to help? I haven't done this before but if I can I'd like to try to assist.
You have two options depending on how much effort you want to put into it. The first option is to install BOINC. You can find details in a thread of this subform and here: https://srbase.my-firewall.org/sr5/forum_index.php. There is a subproject for R3 on BOINC. The other option is for those who want to learn more about the software used by CRUS then read on.

You can find pre-sieved ranges here: http://www.noprimeleftbehind.net/cru...e-reserves.htm with k from 45G to 60K unserved at n=50000.

Take a range of 1G k. With NotePad++ split the file so that you split the k across as many files as you have cores. Since this file is an ABCD file each of your files will have ABCD as the first line and have approximately the same number of ABCD lines. If you are familiar with NotePad++ this shouldn't take too long. If not, then it might take a little trial and error on your part to figure this out. You will need to convert each of the new files to ABC format with the number_primes switch on the first line. You can do this with srfile or with srsieve2. With srfile you need to convert to pfgw format. This will create a file with ABC on the first line and one k/n pair on each successive line. Replace that first line with this:

Code:
ABC $a*3^$b$c // {number_primes,$a,1}
The other option is to use srsieve2 with the -fP option. Just use ^C shortly after you start srsieve2 (once it starts sieving) since you do not need to sieve more deeply. This will automatically put that ABC line as you need at the top of the file. The number_primes switch will ensure that you don't continue testing k after a prime is found. The other advantage of srsieve2 is that it will sort by k then n, not n then k. This will make it far easier for you to estimate how many days are left to test the range. You can do this with the srfile output, but you need a command line sort or use TextPad. Just make sure that the ABC line is the first line in the first.

Once you have your ABC files create a folder/directory for each file with a copy of llr in that folder/directory. You want one folder/directory per core. On Windows use Console2 to open a tab for each folder, then start llr with the ABC file as the input file (I forgot the command line switch for that). You can use the Windows CMD.EXE, but that creates one window per process. Console2 allows you to run multiple CMD.EXE from the same window with each instance as one tab in that window.

If you want to get even fancier than this setup and have some familiarity with databases, you can install MySQL or PostgreSQL and use PRPNet. This is my preferred setup because I have multiple computers and I don't need to monitor them to prevent them from running out of work to do. I typically have two databases set up and two instances of the PRPNet server so that once on server runs out of work, the other server will have something queued up and the clients won't run out of work. Each client is configured to talk to both servers.

If you have 4 cores, then a range of 1G should take about two months regardless of your setup. With my 30 cores I got this down to about 6.5 days for a 1G range.

One more thing to note, for my setup it took about 5.5 seconds per test (with nearly 30% of the tests skipped due to finding a prime). You might need to sieve more deeply before you start testing. srsieve2 and srsieve2cl are your best options. srsieve2 if you don't have a GPU or have a weak GPU and srsieve2cl if you have a powerful GPU. No guarantee that you can run on a powerful GPU because it does require a lot of GPU memory so you might need smaller numbers of k to sieve on a GPU. Fortunately I have one GPU that can sieve a range of 1G k at time.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck in your hunt.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 03:15   #266
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Best of luck in your hunt.
I'm having a bit of trouble finding where to get srfile. Could you point me to a download location for it?
pokemonlover123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-04-17, 12:52   #267
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

631410 Posts

Quote:
I'm having a bit of trouble finding where to get srfile. Could you point me to a download location for it?
srfile is bundled with srsieve (not sr1sieve or sr2sieve). Check this post.
Old 2021-04-17, 20:36   #268
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

3×17 Posts

Alright! I believe it's working! I have the prpadmin tool feeding the candidates in the 45G range to my prpserver (got that working it looks like). Once that finishes I'll see if it works when starting the clients. Once I get that working I'll send a message reserving the 45G range.
Old 2021-04-17, 20:37   #269
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

3×17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
srfile is bundled with srsieve (not sr1sieve or sr2sieve). Check this post.
Thanks. Figured everything out now i believe.
Old 2021-04-17, 22:45   #270
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

1100112 Posts

I do have one more question, is there a way to load the tests into my PRPNet server faster than using the prpadmin tool?
Old 2021-04-17, 23:42   #271
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·7·11·41 Posts

Quote:
I do have one more question, is there a way to load the tests into my PRPNet server faster than using the prpadmin tool?
Unfortunately no. It might take a hour or two, but the server can start handing out work until you have a few thousand loaded (IIRC). At one point I was thinking about allowing it from the command line when starting the server, but I never coded it.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2021-04-17 at 23:42
Old 2021-04-18, 00:41   #272
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

3·17 Posts

I managed to speed up the loading of candidates quite a bit by moving the data directory for the database onto my SSD, so hopefully that'll help in the long run.
Old 2021-04-18, 02:26   #273
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

3·17 Posts

I'm running into a very strange issue... When my prpclients request work, they sometimes crash silently with an access violation exception (which i saw in event viwer). I managed to enable user memory dumps for crashing programs and used WinDBG to figure out they are crashing with some variation of an invalid pointer (invalid read/write to invalid pointer at different addresses). Is this known or am i using an old version? How would i go about submitting these dumps in a bug report? I'm currently running a memory diagnostic to rule out hardware issues. I assume this means I will have to rerun all the tests I've already done? or is the program resilient against hardware/software bugs in regards to its results?

Last fiddled with by pokemonlover123 on 2021-04-18 at 02:29
Old 2021-04-18, 13:16   #274
pokemonlover123

Mar 2016

3·17 Posts

Doesnt look like its a hardware issue
Old 2021-04-18, 13:18   #275
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

2·7·11·41 Posts

Quote:
I'm running into a very strange issue... When my prpclients request work, they sometimes crash silently with an access violation exception (which i saw in event viwer). I managed to enable user memory dumps for crashing programs and used WinDBG to figure out they are crashing with some variation of an invalid pointer (invalid read/write to invalid pointer at different addresses). Is this known or am i using an old version? How would i go about submitting these dumps in a bug report? I'm currently running a memory diagnostic to rule out hardware issues. I assume this means I will have to rerun all the tests I've already done? or is the program resilient against hardware/software bugs in regards to its results?
I'm impressed that you went the PRPNet route and am happy to see that you have it working.

Temp files are created to retain results so a crash won't cause problems unless one of those temp files is corrupted, but you would know that when you restart the client. Is the client crashing or is the server crashing? Which version of the client are you using? 5.4.5 is on sourceforge. I've been running it on Windows without problems.