mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2006-02-08, 22:53   #1
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

2×191 Posts
Unhappy Disrespecting Coretta Scott King

You may be aware of the funeral for the widow of Martin Luther King Jr. She suffered much adversity with her husband during the civil rights movement and promoted equality long after Martin's passing. President Bush, Clinton, Carver, and H.W. Bush as well as 10,000 others attended her funeral.

Unfortunately, Rev. Joseph Lowery bashed Bush, saying “For war, billions more, but no more for the poor.” Carter alos mentioned the government response to Hurricane Katrina, saying, “We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi” to know that inequality exists. He also noted that the Kings once were “victims of secret government wiretapping” – echoing Bush's domestic spying program.

I don't believe MLK would think that over forty years after the civil rights movement his wife's funeral would evolve into a political showdown. It showed the utmost disrespect for a great leader. It was the saddest thing I have seen on the news since 9/11 and yet we still have this:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...157589,00.html

The opening sentences of the second and final paragraphs are the most cringing. How can you praise something like this?
clowns789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 11:44   #2
R.D. Silverman

Nov 2003

11100010000002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowns789
You may be aware of the funeral for the widow of Martin Luther King Jr. She suffered much adversity with her husband during the civil rights movement and promoted equality long after Martin's passing. President Bush, Clinton, Carver, and H.W. Bush as well as 10,000 others attended her funeral.

Unfortunately, Rev. Joseph Lowery bashed Bush, saying “For war, billions more, but no more for the poor.” Carter alos mentioned the government response to Hurricane Katrina, saying, “We only have to recall the color of the faces of those in Louisiana, Alabama and Mississippi” to know that inequality exists. He also noted that the Kings once were “victims of secret government wiretapping” – echoing Bush's domestic spying program.

I don't believe MLK would think that over forty years after the civil rights movement his wife's funeral would evolve into a political showdown. It showed the utmost disrespect for a great leader. It was the saddest thing I have seen on the news since 9/11 and yet we still have this:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/arti...157589,00.html

The opening sentences of the second and final paragraphs are the most cringing. How can you praise something like this?

On the contrary. MLK was a great advocate of civil rights. The current
*&^%^&%&* who are in power have been conducting a continuous
campaign against those rights. Speaking out against these attacks by
W & Co. only furthers the work of MLK and I know he would be strongly
supportive of those who criticize the group of ^*&#^*%# who are currently
in power.
R.D. Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 15:30   #3
grandpascorpion

Jan 2005
Transdniestr

503 Posts

Hear, hear
grandpascorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 16:55   #4
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

251010 Posts

clowns, have you ever read anything MLK wrote? If you did, you wouldn't think that making a political statement in support of the poor was disrespecting CSK. It was quite the contrary. The media (and the US political establishment in general) has tried its best to fetishize MLK and his legacy. Yeah make a holiday in his name then we don't have to worry about what he said or what he stood for. I think you are a perfect example of that given that you display lack of an elementary knowledge of what CSK and MLK stood for.

Go read something useful.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 21:27   #5
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

2×191 Posts

It is perfectly acceptable to speak your opinion at the correct time, but this was a FUNERAL, not a political rally. The speakers should reflect on Coretta's life and save the politics until afterward.
Old 2006-02-09, 22:25   #6
philmoore

"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

22·32·31 Posts

Quote:
The speakers should reflect on Coretta's life and save the politics until afterward.
But her life was inseparable from politics. To avoid political questions at her funeral would probably have struck her as disrespectful.

My honest opinion is that Bush is so insulated from the public, as most of his public appearances are carefully staged, that this was one of his few opportunities to hear from people who disagreed with his policies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo
Go read something useful.
I recommend "Letter from the Birmingham jail".
philmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 22:53   #7
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

1011111102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore
this was one of his few opportunities to hear from people who disagreed with his policies.
He's heard too much of it already. He knows about it. He doesn't need it reiterated at a funeral.

The most surprising is Carter. As said by Bill O'Reilly:

Protocol dictates that former presidents do not publicly attack sitting presidents. But there was Jimmy Carter talking about 'secret government wiretapping,' a slap at President Bush. How classless! Mr. Carter has drifted into the far left precincts and is virtually clueless when it comes to understanding the war on terror. One vital question: Is there anyone watching me right now who would want Carter leading the terror war? Jimmy Carter should re-think his entire presentation. Political disagreement is fine, inappropriate behavior is not."
Old 2006-02-09, 22:56   #8
grandpascorpion

Jan 2005
Transdniestr

503 Posts

He needs to hear it in person. Good for them.
grandpascorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-09, 23:46   #9
philmoore

"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

22×32×31 Posts

Quote:
He's heard too much of it already. He knows about it.
I disagree, I think Bush is totally clueless about what people really think.

Quote:
As said by Bill O'Reilly:

Protocol dictates that former presidents do not publicly attack sitting presidents. ... Political disagreement is fine, inappropriate behavior is not."
I really find it hilarious that you can quote Bill O'Reilly as an authority on "appropriate behavior". Independent of O'Reilly's political beliefs, his treatment of guests with whom he disagrees is often that of a thug and a bully.
Old 2006-02-10, 03:43   #10
clowns789

Jun 2003
The Computer

2·191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philmoore
I really find it hilarious that you can quote Bill O'Reilly as an authority on "appropriate behavior". Independent of O'Reilly's political beliefs, his treatment of guests with whom he disagrees is often that of a thug and a bully.
H&C is the same way. It's just a Fox thing.

I decided to quote him because he is an news analyst that will tell about this disgrace and not just say it happened like the news.

Bush knows about everything liberals have against him. He always responds to them in his speeches.
Old 2006-02-10, 05:39   #11
philmoore

"Phil"
Sep 2002
Tracktown, U.S.A.

22·32·31 Posts

Quote:
H&C is the same way. It's just a Fox thing.
So can we really have much respect for Fox then, as a source of news, or should we conclude that they are more in the business of offering up "entertainment" than really providing thoughtful analysis of current events?