mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2004-11-20, 18:57   #1
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

22×53 Posts
Default All things Firefox

I actually have a question about the new Firefox 1.0, but since some other people might have things to say about it (other questions, tips, favorite add-ons everyone should have, terrible add-ons no one should have, etc) I am starting a thread in an effort to prevent multiple threads covering the same thing.

My question is: I'm noticing Firefox has more than one RSS feed add-on, but I can't figure out which, if any, works for arbitrary sites. Say the sites foo.com, bar.com, and seizurerobots.com all use fairly standard methods of syndication, maybe not necessarily the same one. What add-on can I use? If more than one, does anyone have any suggestions?

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/central.html
JuanTutors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 21:47   #2
marc

Jun 2004
UK

139 Posts

Sage (https://update.mozilla.org/extension...&category=News) is easily the most mature/feature-rich RSS/Atom extension for Firefox.

Alternatively you might want to try out Firefox's built-in Live Bookmark feature which is not site syndication but offers an alternative way to keep up with a sites news headlines. Just click the orange icon in the bottom-right that appears whenever a site provides a feed in the proper way.
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-20, 23:05   #3
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

22×53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc
Sage (https://update.mozilla.org/extension...&category=News) is easily the most mature/feature-rich RSS/Atom extension for Firefox.

Alternatively you might want to try out Firefox's built-in Live Bookmark feature which is not site syndication but offers an alternative way to keep up with a sites news headlines. Just click the orange icon in the bottom-right that appears whenever a site provides a feed in the proper way.
Hey thanks for the link. I didn't like the built-in Live Bookmark feature. It turns out also the version of Sage linked is only compatible with Firefox 0.7-0.9, but if you go straight to the site you can get the new version, Sage 1.3. It works great on my computer.

http://sage.mozdev.org/installation.html
Old 2004-12-07, 06:28   #4
Fusion_power

Aug 2003
Snicker, AL

11308 Posts

I've used Firefox in parallel with Netscape 4.7, Netscape 7.1, and Internet Explorer 6 for the past month. I finally removed Netscape 7.1 this evening. I'll keep Netscape 4.7 for a few more days just to be sure there are no compatibility issues with some of the sites I use. I have to keep I.E because certain work related websites use ole' functions that are not supported in Firefox.

I loaded Thunderbird for a mail app and in just a couple of minutes had imported all the settings and folders from Netscape 7.1.

The best thing about Firefox is its speed. Webpages that I am used to seeing load in 20 to 30 seconds now take 15 seconds or less!

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 03:35   #5
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

2·3,853 Posts

I can't link the darn thread...

Type "firefox fast opera" in Google, take the first hit...

It should be:

www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/8007.htm

If you link straight there they want a login, but linked from Google it lets you in...
Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-08, 07:37   #6
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

1F416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
I just clicked on it and it worked.

Two of the settings weren't available on my computer. I took the tips they gave on the other ones and used them. There seems to be a moderate difference. I suspect the difference would be bigger if your internet connection has a big latency. (My connection is a bit hit or miss, and right now it's on miss, so I definitely see the difference.) I'd advise clicking on that link.

Last fiddled with by JuanTutors on 2004-12-08 at 07:44
Old 2004-12-08, 12:14   #7
marc

Jun 2004
UK

139 Posts

Actually the paint delay thing works better the faster your connection is. The pipelining thing will work for anyone but obviously a slower connection will feel more benefit.

If you don't have the entire source of the document including any stylesheets then when it initially starts painting the page the layout is likely to be wrong. WHen it reflows everything will change and more work must be done. While your page will be completely painted in the same total time if the page has to keep reflowing and correcting itself then it feels slower to a user. Often changing paint delay only makes it feel faster even though you could've possibly made it slower overall. If you think it's faster then that's a win.
Old 2004-12-09, 17:23   #8
Jeff Gilchrist

Jun 2003
Ottawa, Canada

7×167 Posts

Interesting find Xyzzy. But I don't have an nglayout.ititialpaint.delay in my config???
Jeff Gilchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 17:29   #9
MrHappy

Dec 2003
Paisley Park & Neverland

B916 Posts

initial<>ititial ?
MrHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-09, 17:59   #10
marc

Jun 2004
UK

139 Posts

It's not there by default. You have to add it if it's never been modified.
Old 2005-01-14, 00:28   #11
JuanTutors

Mar 2004

22×53 Posts

There IS one thing I don't like about firefox that is worse than Internet explorer. That is, when you try to load a page, and while it's loading you switch to a different tab or a different window (firefox or not) it deprioritizes the page that is loading, so it takes really long to finish loading even if you go back to it.

I know that the whole deprioritizing thing is partially intentional, but is there any way to prevent it?