LaurV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-19, 09:45   #36
axn

Jun 2003

32·523 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
That's behind a pay wall. No go.
Interesting. I could see it (and I'm not a subscriber). You could try clear your cache and check again?
axn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-19, 12:33   #37
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

354910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
link?
Main trove of leaked documents here
Detention directive here
Images of bulldozed cemeteries here
Images of mosque demolition here
Commentary and analysis here, here, here, and a lot of other places.

The situation faced by local Party officials is not an enviable one. From the piece in The Conversation:
Quote:
The case of CCP official Wang Yongzhi, detailed by Buckley and Ramzy, is indicative here.

According to a "confession", the local party chief in Yarkand in the far south of Xinjiang initially followed central policy directives by zealously building "two sprawling new detention facilities, including one as big as 50 basketball courts" and "doubling spending on outlays such as checkpoints and surveillance".

However, fearing mass detentions would negatively impact on economic development goals and social cohesion - key benchmarks for achieving promotion within the party - Wang "broke the rules" and released thousands of detainees.

For this, he was removed from his post in 2017 and in an internal party report six months later was openly castigated for his "brazen defiance" of the "central leadership’s strategy for Xinjiang".

Wang’s case demonstrates the existence of competing incentives at the local level in the implementation of centrally dictated policy.

His "brazen defiance" was not a principled stand against mass detentions but rather a pragmatic consideration of the potentially negative effects on his career should detentions undermine broader policy goals.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-20, 02:57   #38
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×1,471 Posts

Thanks. All nytimes links are behind either registration wall or paywall, so, no go. When I buy newspapers (the last I bought was like 40 years ago, so my information may be outdated) the lady at the kiosk won't ask me my name and address. Internet is supposed to improve our life. Any popup that cover any part of the story and does not disappear when I press escape (no, I never click the cornered red X, call it paranoia) results in closing the page. If this repeats few times in the future, this results in adding such site to the LeechBlock list. This save me of wasting time in the future. I really recommend LeechBlock addon if you use Firefox. You will hate yourself in the first month, but don't give up! Your life will be better in two.

The rest of the links are ok, thanks for sharing. I am going to read more about this.

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-11-20 at 02:57
Old 2019-11-20, 07:30   #39
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·1,471 Posts

Some forum member asks me on PM:
Quote:
Any thoughts on Pope Francis' visit to Thailand?
Well, I have no idea. I am not very much into politics, and I am not by far a religious guy, and I didn't keep pace with the local news, being quite busy last days. So, that is how in fact I found that the pope is visiting Thailand. Thank you for letting me know!

The only "thoughts" I have now are related to an old and famous story from the last visit of pope John Paul the second in '84 (I had to google for the year), this was a very funny story which I know from a former Romanian ambassador, and it is 100 percent true. That pope had the habit to say few words in the local language at the open ceremony, which worked very well and attracted a lot of sympathy wherever he went. No idea when he was learning the words, overnight, in the plane to the destination, or just bless from the god, but he could open the preach in the local language, and that was amazing... Well... except maybe in Thailand. Thai language is one of the three tonal languages in the world, together with Chinese and Vietnamese (not counting mini/micro languages and local-dialects of languages spoken in other parts of the world), but it is the trickiest of all three. In Chinese the four tones are very distinctive, there is no way to mix them unless you are complete aphonous, deaf and mute in the same time, and in Vietnamese at least you write with Latin characters and tones are clearly marked, so it would, in theory, be easier to learn them. But Thai is tricky. Its "tones" are mixed, not very differentiate, and confuse for farangs (foreigners). Even Thais, are not able to say if they have 4, or 5, or 6 or more tones (don't read in the language books, go out and talk to the people) and don't really differentiate some words. And changing even the slightest tone of a syllable in a sentence, could result in completely different meanings.

That is why, when the pope started speaking about Jesus' wine or something (you know, the "this is my blood" drill), everybody around him jumped up and hurried to cover the microphones, "please, please, stop, stop", and they told him red-faced to better continue to preach "normal", in English, or Latin, because what came out of his mouth... is not translatable on this forum...

This story should be also somewhere on the web, but it is impossible to find now, due to all web being full with news about the millions of policemen that Thai government mobilized to take care about the safety of 'his sanctity'. I mean actual sanctity, pope Francis. I think we are happy and thanks our little gods that we are 700km north of the HELL (talking mainly about the traffic) that is in Bangkok right now...

Last fiddled with by LaurV on 2019-11-21 at 07:37
Old 2019-11-20, 16:00   #40
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

67×149 Posts

Oh come on. Give us a hint. Phisical function? Sex? Excretion?
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-21, 15:52   #41
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·7·132 Posts
Default Pot, meet kettle...

China demands Trump veto bills on Hong Kong
Quote:
BEIJING (AP) — China on Thursday demanded President Donald Trump veto legislation aimed at supporting human rights in Hong Kong and renewed a threat to take "strong countermeasures" if the bills become law.

Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said the Hong Kong Human Rights and Democracy Act undermined both China’s interests and those of the U.S. in the semi-autonomous Chinese city.

"We urge the U.S. to grasp the situation, stop its wrongdoing before it’s too late, prevent this act from becoming law (and) immediately stop interfering in Hong Kong affairs and China’s internal affairs," Geng said at a daily news briefing.
Of course, demanding that the US President veto a bill passed by Congress could never, ever be construed as interference in our internal affairs...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-21, 19:24   #42
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

9,791 Posts

The China CCP's definition of "semi-autonomous" appears to translate roughly into Orwell's "If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-25, 20:36   #43
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

979110 Posts

The China Cables: Leaked Classified Chinese Documents Confirm China Running Massive Concentration Camps to "Re-educate" Uighurs | naked capitalism -- How do you say "Arbeit Macht Frei" in Mandarin?

Dr S, if the leaker(s) turn out to have annoying personalities and are in-your-opinion narcissistic, will you be calling loudly for their death by slow torture?
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-26, 15:27   #44
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11×919 Posts

This is why I believe the death penalty is a seriously bad idea.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote