retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

32·643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Yes, it is certainly possible that the woman responsible is suffering emotionally. She did not leave the scene of the crash, which is certainly a point in her favor. And I'm sure her kids, who were in her car at the time, are suffering emotionally from the experience.

Still, I don't think their distress can compare to that of Harry Dunn's parents, who lost their son.
IMO, whatever she is suffering is not enough. She needs to suffer more. All this "Waah, I'm suffering also so we're even" is nonsense.

If that was Mini-Me that was killed I'd be so f'in angry at her for running that I'd probably go there myself with a few of the larger minions and have a nice "talk" with her.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2019-10-23 at 15:46
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-24, 13:57   #24
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23×1,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
If that was Mini-Me that was killed I'd be so f'in angry at her for running that I'd probably go there myself with a few of the larger minions and have a nice "talk" with her.
And that of course would resurrect Mini-Me. Great plan. More suffering for everyone.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-24, 14:01   #25
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

32×643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
And that of course would resurrect Mini-Me. Great plan. More suffering for everyone.
It would make me feel better, and make her feel worse. So more suffering for her.

Plus the publicity might makes others think again before running back home and trying to avoid the situation.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-24, 15:32   #26
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

211728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Plus the publicity might makes others think again before running back home and trying to avoid the situation getting behind the wheel
too.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-24, 16:07   #27
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

67358 Posts

I find the suspect's play for sympathy absolutely disgusting. Any distress she and her family may be feeling, are the result of her actions. It may not be in the same league as the legendary fellow who murdered his parents and then pleaded for sympathy because he was an orphan. But Lord, it ain't good.

There is IMO an additional problem with her fleeing the jurisdiction: what is it teaching her kids about responsibility? Perhaps they will assuage their feelings over what they saw by saying, "Mom was able to just walk away, so what she did really couldn't have been all that bad."

The statements saying how "devastated" she and her family are were, apparently, issued by her attorney, so perhaps we should make allowances for the utter lack of human empathy they exhibit.

Still, she isn't "devastated" enough to return to the jurisdiction and face the possible legal consequences of her action. If the legal investigative process is thwarted, Harry Dunn's distraught parents might pursue a wrongful death lawsuit. The victim was only 19 years old. He may have had substantial earnings potential. If he did, that could mean a large monetary award.

If the legal process is utterly thwarted, I can visualize things ending badly.

Imagine Harry Dunn's mother, holding a smoking gun, standing over the bullet-riddled corpse of the woman who killed her son, wailing,
"She killed my son. We tried appeals to do what was right. We tried using the legal process. We tried everything! But there was no justice to be had anywhere! And all she would say was how devastated she was..."
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-29, 14:38   #28
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·7·132 Posts
Default The perfect Republican

If I had posted this over in the Lounge, Things that make you go "Hmmmm…" it probably would have been moved here
:-D

When it comes to showing Republican Party values, this guy has it all.

Politician charged in human trafficking adoption scheme
Quote:
Petersen’s attorney, Matthew Long, defended his client’s actions during a Tuesday court hearing in Phoenix as “proper business practices” and said they disagreed with the allegations.
We will now read from the Book of Matthew, Chapter 6, verse 24...

Elected Arizona official accused of selling babies suspended

Quote:
His lawyer, Kurt Altman, said Petersen will fight to keep the $77,000-a-year job he was last elected to in 2016.

Petersen’s attorney said the law allowing elected officials to be suspended may be unconstitutional.
Hmm, he's got a different lawyer than he did when he was charged.

IMO Mr. Peterson isn't being suspended the way he should be suspended...
Old 2019-11-08, 09:27   #29
xilman
Bamboozled!

"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

277D16 Posts

As some people may know, the UK is having a general election next month. Here are some of the policies being offered:
  • Air bags will be fitted to the Stock Exchange immediately, ready for the next crash.
  • Britain will exit Europe and join the Duchy of Cornwall to benefit from tax exemptions.
  • Capital Punishment will be opposed on the grounds that it is unfair to Londoners.
  • Education. All University Tuition fees for women would be free as we are strong believers in female intuition. (Due to gender equality laws we would include males as well)
  • Frivolous Fraud Office setup to inspect fraud too silly for the Serious Fraud Office.
  • Puddles deeper than 3 inches will be marked by a yellow plastic duck.
  • Regulations concerning car boot sales will be relaxed to permit selling of all car parts.
  • Vehicles will be fitted with bungy ropes in order to save fuel on the return journey.
  • Wind farms will be created nationwide, where breaking wind will be encouraged.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-11, 13:22   #30
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·7·132 Posts
Default What a difference a day makes...

(my emphasis)

November 10, 2019 New challenge for Bolivian president as police abandon posts
Quote:
Police units in some cities started protesting Friday, marching in the streets in uniform as anti-government protesters cheered them from the sidewalks.

Defense Minister Javier Zabaleta initially played down the police protests, saying a “police mutiny occurred in a few regions.”

Gen. Williams Kaliman, the military chief, said Saturday that the military had no plans to intervene.

“We’ll never confront the people among whom we live. We guarantee peaceful co-existence,” Kaliman said. “This is a political problem and it should be resolved within that realm.”
November 11, 2019 Bolivia in power void as Morales, would-be successors resign
Quote:
Morales stepped aside only after the military chief, Gen. Williams Kaliman, called for him to quit to allow the restoration of peace and stability.

Morales earlier in the day had already accepted calls for a new election by an Organization of American States team that found a “heap of observed irregularities” in the Oct. 20 election whose official result showed Morales getting just enough votes to avoid a runoff against a united opposition.

It wasn’t immediately clear who would succeed Morales, or how his successor would be chosen.

His vice president also resigned as did the Senate president, who was next in line. The only other official listed by the constitution as a successor, the head of the lower house, already had resigned.

There were no immediate signs that the military itself was maneuvering for power, but “I think we have to keep a close eye on what the military does over the next few hours,” said Jennifer Cyr, associate professor of political science and Latin American studies at the University of Arizona. “Are they overstepping their role?”
OK, so the military chief didn't call out the troops after police began marching in uniform in Santa Cruz, and abandoned their posts at the presidential palace (Morales was not there). But he did make the call that prompted Morales to quit. It was probably something like, "The cops have abandoned you. I'm not going to order the military to gun down civilians en masse if they come for you. You have a choice to make."
Old 2019-11-13, 20:10   #31
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·7·132 Posts
Default ... And WE will decide what news is fit to print!

( November 8, 2019) County resolution threatens journalists with prosecution
Quote:
MADISON, Wis. (AP) — At least one Wisconsin county official wants to warn any journalists who cover the upcoming release of a regional water quality study: Publish the county’s news release summarizing the findings in its entirety without any alterations or risk criminal prosecution.
(November 12) Free speech rights a concern in Wisconsin water resolution

(November 13) Wisconsin board backs away from free speech restrictions
Quote:
The Journal Sentinel says county board Chairman Jack Sauer threatened to throw out critical members of the public at the meeting and accused attendees of being Democrats.
Apparently the AP picked up the story because a brave member of the conservation committee posted the resolution on Facebook as an image. As a public service, I transcribed it. Any transcription errors are my fault.

RESOLUTION 55-19

PROTOCOL PROCEDURE FOR SOUTHWEST WISCONSIN
WATER QUALITY RESULTS

WHEREAS, in the past, Southwest Wisconsin has been falsely slandered by the press due a county board leak of confidential information of the collaborative three county water study the following protocols must be followed:

1, Future test results will be limited to the Iowa, Grant, and Lafayette County Board Chairs or a designee approved by the County Board Chair, the County Conservationists and the Land Conservation Committee Chair. Known hereafter as the "Review Board of the Water Quality Study." They will review the results, talk about interpretations, and issue press releases when appropriate.

2. Because of the past leaks, Land Conservation Committee members, as well as members of each County Board, will only be informed whrn the public is informed.

3. An appropriate statement will be crafted by the Review Board. It will be crafted in a press release and shared with the press with this specific statement included at the top: "Please do not alter, edit, cut, or adjust this press release in anyway. Please print the content provided in full." Under no circumstances is the media allowed to glean information and selectively report it in order to interpret the results for their own means. Violators will be proswcuted.

4. In the event that a conference is held to distribute results, invitations will be extended to local TV stations, radio and news outlets. The conference will do a complete review of the whole test process and the expectations for the release before any further information is given. The press will be given an official press release provided by the Review Board following any conferences that are held, which will include information from the study in its entirelty.

5. Any board member caught distorting information intentionally, or speaking to the press without the express authority to represent their Committee, Full County Board or the Review Board, will be censured by their by their respective board and publicly admonished. Further action may be taken against said member as seen fit by their board through through each County's own Ethics Process.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Lafayette County Board of Supervisors, at the request of the Land Conservation Committee, recommend that the above protocol be established for the accurate distribution of information in regards to the Water Quality Study.

Respectfully submitted,
Lafayette County Land Conservation Committee
Old 2019-11-18, 21:34   #32
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

DDD16 Posts

George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four has been brought to life by China, in its Xinjiang Province -- complete with extensive electronic surveillance and Thought Police. It seems that some hundreds of pages of Party documents have been leaked, and published by the NYT and now, other places.

China has also been busily obliterating the Uighurs' cultural heritage and history by demolishing mosques and bulldozing cemeteries. Such are the weapons of "the people's democratic dictatorship." As to the nature of the "re-education camps" currently hosting a million of Xinjiang Province's population of approximately 22 million:

Quote:
Officials in Turpan, a city in eastern Xinjiang, drafted the question-and-answer script after the regional government warned local officials to prepare for the returning students. The agency coordinating efforts to "maintain stability" across Xinjiang then distributed the guide across the region and urged officials to use it as a model.

The government sends Xinjiang's brightest young Uighurs to universities across China, with the goal of training a new generation of Uighur civil servants and teachers loyal to the party.

The crackdown has been so extensive that it affected even these elite students, the directive shows. And that made the authorities nervous.

"Returning students from other parts of China have widespread social ties across the entire country," the directive noted. "The moment they issue incorrect opinions on WeChat, Weibo and other social media platforms, the impact is widespread and difficult to eradicate."

The document warned that there was a "serious possibility" students might sink into "turmoil" after learning what had happened to their relatives. It recommended that police officers in plain clothes and experienced local officials meet them as soon as they returned "to show humane concern and stress the rules."

The directive's question-and-answer guide begins gently, with officials advised to tell the students that they have "absolutely no need to worry" about relatives who have disappeared.

"Tuition for their period of study is free and so are food and living costs, and the standards are quite high," officials were told to say, before adding that the authorities were spending more than $3 per day on meals for each detainee, "even better than the living standards that some students have back home."

"If you want to see them," the answer concluded, "we can arrange for you to have a video meeting."

The authorities anticipated, however, that this was unlikely to mollify students and provided replies to a series of other questions: When will my relatives be released? If this is for training, why can't they come home? Can they request a leave? How will I afford school if my parents are studying and there is no one to work on the farm?

The guide recommended increasingly firm replies telling the students that their relatives had been "infected" by the "virus" of Islamic radicalism and must be quarantined and cured. Even grandparents and family members who seemed too old to carry out violence could not be spared, officials were directed to say.

"If they don't undergo study and training, they'll never thoroughly and fully understand the dangers of religious extremism," one answer said, citing the civil war in Syria and the rise of the Islamic State. "No matter what age, anyone who has been infected by religious extremism must undergo study."

Students should be grateful that the authorities had taken their relatives away, the document said.

"Treasure this chance for free education that the party and government has provided to thoroughly eradicate erroneous thinking, and also learn Chinese and job skills," one answer said. "This offers a great foundation for a happy life for your family."

The authorities appear to be using a scoring system to determine who can be released from the camps: The document instructed officials to tell the students that their behavior could hurt their relatives' scores, and to assess the daily behavior of the students and record their attendance at training sessions, meetings and other activities.

"Family members, including you, must abide by the state's laws and rules, and not believe or spread rumors," officials were told to say. "Only then can you add points for your family member, and after a period of assessment they can leave the school if they meet course completion standards."

If asked about the impact of the detentions on family finances, officials were advised to assure students that "the party and the government will do everything possible to ease your hardships."

The line that stands out most in the script, however, may be the model answer for how to respond to students who ask of their detained relatives, "Did they commit a crime?"

The document instructed officials to acknowledge that they had not. "It is just that their thinking has been infected by unhealthy thoughts," the script said.

"Freedom is only possible when this `virus' in their thinking is eradicated and they are in good health."
Old 2019-11-19, 03:55   #33
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2×3×1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four has been brought to life by China, in its Xinjiang Province
link?
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote