mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2014-01-30, 04:32   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

DB116 Posts
Default The thread for mundane questions that Google fails at

I think I've started a thread like this before. Mersenneforum.org is a time-waster for a ton of people anyway, but who doesn't want to be more efficient about their time-wasting? Amirite?

Btw, doing a search for avacodo's law gets Avagodros number, even with what I call the "double misspelling." Go Google.

Edit: We need a thread about precisely defined burrowing mammals, cats being meaninglessly killed in physics experminents and other fun misunderstandings.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2014-01-30 at 04:36
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 04:52   #2
kracker
ἀβουλία

"Mr. Meeseeks"
Jan 2012
California, USA

216810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
Mersenneforum.org is a time-waster for a ton of people anyway,
Oh you really think so eh? :Can't find the right emoticon that expresses my current feelings:
kracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 05:46   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kracker View Post
Oh you really think so eh? :Can't find the right emoticon that expresses my current feelings:
I'm not saying it's a waste of time, I'm saying it's a time waster for "some people."

It's like when people read science books "for fun."

Edit: Was looking at Avogodro's picture on Wikipedia, and it makes me wonder. Were people really that ugly back then, or did the artists stress features in a non-accurate way. Of course, come to think of it, I think super models look like they come from another planet, so maybe I'm not the best judge.

Last fiddled with by jasong on 2014-01-30 at 05:49
Old 2014-01-30, 06:03   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

26·7·13 Posts

Quote:
Were people really that ugly back then ...
Yes, of course they were. Just the same with people really being that ugly now. Nothing has changed.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 08:01   #5
axn

Jun 2003

2×17×139 Posts

Quote:
Btw, doing a search for avacodo's law gets Avagodros number
Quote:
Edit: Was looking at Avogodro's picture on Wikipedia, and it makes me wonder.
Emphasis mine. Three tries and google's assistance, and still you haven't gotten the right spelling.
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-30, 09:19   #6
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·3·52·19 Posts

The Institute I'm working at has this article of how the Avogadro Constant is worked on.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-31, 07:36   #7
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
Yes, of course they were. Just the same with people really being that ugly now. Nothing has changed.
Southerners must be extra awesome then, because it's been a really long time since I've seen anybody that ugly. Of course, around here, if you're super-ugly you just eat a lot so it "averages out."
Old 2014-02-07, 09:43   #8
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Okay, here's another question Google fails at. Up until now, I'd assumed gallium arsenide chips weren't being sold in mainstream electronics because of the danger of arsenic gas. Am I wrong about that?

I assume I'm wrong, because the gallium arsenide wiki entry doesn't even mention the arsenic gas problem.

So if potentially poisoning the local population around a plant isn't the problem, what's the holdup with gallium arsenide chips?
Old 2014-02-07, 10:11   #9
axn

Jun 2003

2×17×139 Posts

Quote:
Okay, here's another question Google fails at. Up until now, I'd assumed gallium arsenide chips weren't being sold in mainstream electronics because of the danger of arsenic gas. Am I wrong about that?

I assume I'm wrong, because the gallium arsenide wiki entry doesn't even mention the arsenic gas problem.

So if potentially poisoning the local population around a plant isn't the problem, what's the holdup with gallium arsenide chips?
Because silicon is cheaper. It says so right there in the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallium...con_advantages).

EDIT:- See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsenic#Chemistry for the conditions of Arsenic becoming a gas.

Last fiddled with by axn on 2014-02-07 at 10:16
axn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-02-08, 01:54   #10
bsquared

"Ben"
Feb 2007

2×13×127 Posts

Quote:

Chips utilizing Gallium Arsenide are everywhere in mainstream electronics, just maybe not being used for the things you think they are.

Google rather quickly turned up this helpful document:
bsquared is offline   Reply With Quote