Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2020-09-26, 23:16   #1090
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2×52×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
Fauci's news is still going on CNN, I just hope it's real not a joke.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/25/healt...day/index.html
Thanks for the link to the current CNN story.

However, you were obviously previously referring to something Fauci said earlier, since you said
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerkao View Post
I'm still not seeing this promise happening.
The current story doesn't appear to be a joke. It also doesn't say a vaccine will be ready. It says vaccinations could start in November or December. That does have a certain significance, since it is not saying that vaccinations absolutely can't or won't start that soon.

I do know that a Phase-3 trial for the AstraZeneca vaccine began at the end of August, and one for the Janssen vaccine began less than a week ago.

I don't know enough about the approval process to say how likely it is to happen by November or December.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-26, 23:31   #1091
Gordon

Nov 2008

3×167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

I do know that a Phase-3 trial for the AstraZeneca vaccine began at the end of August, and one for the Janssen vaccine began less than a week ago.

I don't know enough about the approval process to say how likely it is to happen by November or December.
Real vaccines take 10-15 years to get approved and for very good reason.

Are you willing to risk your life and those of your children and grandchildren on something that's been tested for 15 weeks???
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 05:04   #1092
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

67·149 Posts

The mumps vaccine was considered remarkable for reaching distribution in four years of specific development. However, work had been going one since WWII. The article points out the history of vaccines which came out before the one for mumps, which developed techniques which aided the mumps search.
https://www.history.com/news/mumps-vaccine-world-war-ii
Quote:
The invention of the modern mumps vaccine is the stuff of medical textbook legend. In 1963, a star researcher at the pharmaceutical company Merck took a swab of his own daughter’s throat to begin cultivating a weakened form of the mumps virus. And just four years later, in record time, Merck licensed Mumpsvax as the world’s first effective vaccine against this common and contagious childhood illness.

But a closer look at the history of vaccines shows that this popular origin story overlooks the decades-long search for a mumps cure that began in earnest during World War II. And it overshadows the fact that during the 1940s and 1950s, researchers chasing vaccines for polio and measles made incremental breakthroughs in lab techniques that ultimately made swift development of the 1960s Mumpsvax possible.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2020-09-27 at 05:06
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 16:40   #1093
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

23×3×5 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the link to the current CNN story.

However, you were obviously previously referring to something Fauci said earlier, since you said.
It has been the same theme which Dr. Fauci repeated very many times. Since he got the new version of the story, so the old news probably would take a while to be able to search out on Google.
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 17:24   #1094
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

22×32×127 Posts

It seems strange to me how much energy is spent in this thread heckling anyone who dares to post a hint of optimism or good news, and how little is spent by so many in posting original material.

A very quick search for "Covid19 vaccine progress" yielded this, which I count to list 76 vaccine candidates, with 18 having reached or passed phase2, at least 5 of which have reached or passed phase 3 trials, 3 at registration, 1 at distribution. https://covidvax.news/progress/ (IIRC the Russians skipped over phase3 to claim "FIRDT!")

We are witnessing a sort of worldwide Manhattan project in Covid19 antiviral research and development and production, from substantial governent funding, to the fundamental research into the mechanisms of the virus, and cross immunity, to development and testing of vaccine candidates, preparation of production lines, and "speculative execution" of leading candidate initial vaccine production, in parallel, with the design intent of substantially shortening the total calendar time to availability of large quantities of safe and effective vaccine. If we get lucky on one or more of the early candidates, great, vaccination will begin. If they don't pan out, any useful lessons learned in testing or rapidly starting production will inform the efforts on later candidates. This effort also has the advantage of years or decades of scientific and engineering advances over the efforts for previous epidemics.
This WaPo article counts 170+ vaccines at preclinical trials, 10 in phase3, none approved for US use. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...e-coronavirus/
This article describes how past advances allow for more rapid progress today, and how staying the course on SARS and other past pathogens may have positioned us even further ahead when COVID19 emerged. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...-vaccine-cure/
kriesel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-27, 19:49   #1095
masser

Jul 2003
wear a mask

11×131 Posts

masser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-29, 07:19   #1096
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

Jun 2011
Thailand

2·3·1,471 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by masser View Post
+1.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-01, 13:49   #1097
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

2·52·71 Posts

From The Officer Down Memorial Page (my emphasis):
Quote:
Total Line of Duty Deaths: 211

9/11 related cancer 4
Aircraft accident 1
Assault 1
Automobile crash 17
COVID19 117
Drowned 3
Duty related illness 3
Gunfire 35
Gunfire (Inadvertent) 4
Heart attack 5
Motorcycle crash 2
Struck by vehicle 7
Vehicle pursuit 2
Vehicular assault 10
Old 2020-10-01, 14:06   #1098
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7·11·113 Posts

Quote:
From The Officer Down Memorial Page (my emphasis):
Let's hand wave that away as a pre-existing condition. Blame the victim.

Oh wait, sorry, they are our heroes. Let's stop this horrible killer in its tracks.

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2020-10-01 at 14:06
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-10-01, 19:13   #1099
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

355010 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Let's hand wave that away as a pre-existing condition. Blame the victim.

Oh wait, sorry, they are our heroes. Let's stop this horrible killer in its tracks.
Of the fallen officers, almost a third worked in jails and prisons. Going through the list of 117, I counted 36 corrections or correctional officers, plus detention deputies, a chaplain and a warden. My count may not be exact, but it's not far off.

There are probably at least that many additional prison staff who have also died of COVID-19.

I suppose we can hand-wave away the more than a thousand prison inmates who have died from COVID-19.

"Not only is this virus alleviating the financial problems of Social Security and Medicare, it is also relieving overcrowding in our prisons!"
Old 2020-10-02, 05:48   #1100
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

7×11×113 Posts

President Donald Trump tweets he and first lady Melania Trump test positive for Covid-19
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/10/01/p...rus/index.html
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote