Old 2020-09-30, 02:47   #1288
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
Why would he be worried about jail time? Federal income tax evasion and tax fraud are "Offenses against the United States," for which he has the power of pardon. He just issues blanket pardons all 'round, including to himself. Nobody goes to prison.
If Biden is elected I cannot see him getting a pardon, but I do see a future Republican president pardoning him, even posthumously.

Last fiddled with by rogue on 2020-09-30 at 02:47
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 03:27   #1289
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

97×103 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
I made a slight change. Fist would work too.
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 04:19   #1290
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

23·1,093 Posts

Quote:
He just issues blanket pardons all 'round, including to himself. Nobody goes to prison.
Quote:
I stand by my question.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 11:16   #1291
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

DFB16 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
I stand by my question.
You'll just have to stand by until then.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 12:53   #1292
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
What worries the bloated cheeto is not the fines but the jail time. I have read several analyses that explain the possibility of serious jail time for him and his daughter is very real.
Off topic: I read, "The Original Orangutan" somewhere recently.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-09-30, 13:23   #1293
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

357910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
Off topic: I read, "The Original Orangutan" somewhere recently.
I did find something quite similar:

From Dana Milbank's May 5, 2020 column,
Quote:
Allow me to share some frank thoughts about the president:

The orangutan in the White House is less refined than a savage. He is a fool, an irresolute, vacillating imbecile. He is an idiot, of low intellectual capacity. He is a barbarian, a yahoo, a gorilla — the original gorilla — and an unshapely man. He is horrid-looking, a scoundrel, a creature fit, evidently, for petty treasons.

He is dishonest. He is unjust. He has no principle, no respect for law. In his administrative madness, on his unconstitutional crusade, he uses the power of government to crush. His presidency is despotism, a dictatorship, a monstrous usurpation, a criminal wrong and an act of national suicide.
<snip>
At this point, I should mention that the president these words refer to is Abraham Lincoln. They are examples of contemporaneous criticism of the Great Emancipator from the newspapers of the day, strung together with minor changes.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2020-09-30 at 13:25 Reason: gifnix posty
Old 2020-09-30, 13:29   #1294
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

One interpretation of your post is that Lincoln was vindicated by history and that Trump will also be vindicated by history. I'm fairly certain that was not your intention. The only way that Trump will be vindicated by history is if history would be written by the white supremacists and evangelicals. Since those groups want their version of history taught in schools, that is frightening.
Old 2020-09-30, 13:39   #1295
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

67738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
One interpretation of your post is that Lincoln was vindicated by history and that Trump will also be vindicated by history. I'm fairly certain that was not your intention. The only way that Trump will be vindicated by history is if history would be written by the white supremacists and evangelicals. Since those groups want their version of history taught in schools, that is frightening.
To interpret my post properly, you might want to read the whole column. If you can't get access, PM me.
Old 2020-09-30, 14:52   #1296
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

5,953 Posts

Quote:
To interpret my post properly, you might want to read the whole column. If you can't get access, PM me.
I did, which is why I determined that your intent is not as I stated.

I do believe that Trump and many of his followers expect him to be vindicated by history as Lincoln has been.
Old 2020-10-01, 12:58   #1297
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3·1,193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I do believe that Trump and many of his followers expect him to be vindicated by history as Lincoln has been.
People who think they're entitled to your own facts would think that.

SEE "fool's paradise," "cloud-cuckoo-land."

I'm not sure how many cultists there are in countries outside the USA, but judging by recent surveys, and comments about the latest so-called "debate," the consensus seems to be that this country is going down the tubes, fast.

As to debates, Abraham Lincoln made his name by debating Stephen Douglas.

As President, Lincoln succeeded in his primary objective of preserving the union. The dissolution of the union has arguably been under way for some time, and may be inevitable, but should it occur under the current Administration, the complete undoing of Lincoln's legacy by the Republican Party (of which Lincoln was a founding member) will be this Administration's greatest achievement.
Old 2020-10-01, 22:30   #1298
tuckerkao

Jan 2020

23×3×5 Posts

Neither Biden or Trump will be the best choice. Both men are in their 70s. Barack Obama is much younger but he's out of his turns. Wish there can be some strong candidates coming up 4 years later.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bipartisan Presidential Team.png
Views:	20
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	23456  
tuckerkao is offline   Reply With Quote