mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Fun Stuff > Lounge

Old 2019-08-05, 21:56   #23
firejuggler

Apr 2010
Over the rainbow

2,441 Posts

An option is the "unchanging past'.
You did something in the past that changed history. Your memory and knowledge of that event get modified the instant something different happen.

So you don't know you changed history. and nobody can escape the rewritting of memory/history, and therefore, nobody would know that history has been changed.
firejuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-05, 22:21   #24
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×41×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firejuggler View Post
An option is the "unchanging past'.
You did something in the past that changed history. Your memory and knowledge of that event get modified the instant something different happen.

So you don't know you changed history. and nobody can escape the rewritting of memory/history, and therefore, nobody would know that history has been changed.
Makes me want to watch "Back to the Future" again.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-08-06, 20:08   #25
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

22·31·79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Supposedly Hitler was a control freak and a night owl and constrained his field commanders to get his permission and people were afraid to disturb him until afternoon. The Normandy invasion reportedly worked because permission to respond effectively was delayed by hours. That's history coming down to one man's personal habits and the consequences that flow from them.
Actually, the Normandy invasion worked because the vast majority of Germany's military resources were tied up on the eastern front ... a front which Hitler had needlessly opened because he wanted to out-Napoleon Napoleon. There again is the "chaos in the details but larger forces pushing things in a clear direction" conundrum.

Now, history and weather are clearly two very different animals, but perhaps a useful analogy to consider: In pop-science we always hear about the butterfly effect as though it has unlimited power to change not just the small details but also the big picture. But this ignores forcing - sure, a tiny change 1 million years in the past could well completely alter the day-to-day weather forecast today, but do we really imagine that summer might be turned into winter? After all, that butterfly wing-flap isn't going to change earth's orbit, or the happenings inside the sun.

Last fiddled with by ewmayer on 2019-08-06 at 20:09
ewmayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-06, 01:52   #26
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

2×811 Posts

I have been watching a documentary series on Amazon Prime about an individual mentioned here and the time period beginning in mid April of 1945. This series is three seasons with multiple episodes. I suppose it would not hurt to mention the title: "Hunting Hitler." It was originally produced by the History Channel. I fear greatly that any detailed discussion of the contents of this series would rapidly deteriorate into a fur-ball. I thought I would simply put this out here so if anyone wanted to watch on their own, they could do so.

Last fiddled with by storm5510 on 2020-05-06 at 01:55 Reason: Corrections
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-06, 13:41   #27
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

3,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by storm5510 View Post
I have been watching a documentary series on Amazon Prime about an individual mentioned here and the time period beginning in mid April of 1945.
<snip>
I read a "User Review" of this series from January 2018 at IMDB here that points out that a scene supposedly at the port of Cádiz has the Rock of Gibraltar and the Hotel Reina Cristina in it...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-06, 13:59   #28
ATH
Einyen

Dec 2003
Denmark

2,969 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Challenge: Who can compose a message that impacts (in a good way) the lives of the most people possible? (Maybe something along the lines of proper hand washing?)

Mike did you edit this post seamlessly in the past few months?
ATH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-05-06, 15:02   #29
storm5510
Random Account

Aug 2009
U.S.A.

31268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I read a "User Review" of this series from January 2018 at IMDB here that points out that a scene supposedly at the port of Cádiz has the Rock of Gibraltar and the Hotel Reina Cristina in it...
It is quite detailed. There is one episode which is a summary of the first two seasons. It's the last one in Season 2.

I remember the Cádiz portion. A couple of investigators went there to see if had been used as a U-Boat base. It had been, but when was still a question. Franco made sure that what was needed was available.
storm5510 is offline   Reply With Quote