"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

23×5×112 Posts
Default Parents Opting To Have Children School-Homed

No, it's not a typing or grammar error...see article:

http://www.theonion.com/articles/inc...-childr,17159/

Quote:
WASHINGTON—According to a report released Monday by the U.S. Department of Education, an increasing number of American parents are choosing to have their children raised at school rather than at home.

Deputy Education Secretary Anthony W. Miller said that many parents who school-home find U.S. households to be frightening, overwhelming environments for their children, and feel that they are just not conducive to producing well-rounded members of society.

Thousands of mothers and fathers polled in the study also believe that those running American homes cannot be trusted to keep their kids safe.

"Every year more parents are finding that their homes are not equipped to instill the right values in their children," Miller said. "When it comes to important life skills such as proper nutrition, safe sex, and even basic socialization, a growing number of mothers and fathers think it's better to rely on educators to guide and nurture their kids."
Quote:
"Simply put, it's not the job of parents to raise these kids," Dufrense added.
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 00:22   #2
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

22×33×5 Posts

Thanks for posting this one. Outstanding article!
(We home-school our two boys, so this really hits home with me...)

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 01:27   #3
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

145038 Posts

I have a slightly different perspective. Although I have no real difficulty with the concept of home schooling, the problem I do have is that a majority of the home schooling texts are steeped with "faith based" concepts, such as creationism. Many fail to teach the scientific method as they prefer to use "faith based" reasoning rather than logic. I suspect that this is a backlash related to the idea that public eduction is a haven for extremely liberal political learning.

That being said, the article is disturbing because is paints with a fairly broad brush.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 01:59   #4
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×23×137 Posts

The main reason I opened this thread was to see how petrw1 managed to make such a basic mistake in the title, or alternatively to see why Xyzzy changed the title.

But anyhow, since I am here now, this would appear to be a consequence of the notion of people expecting the "establishment" to protect and coddle them. I see this already with the airport "security" nonsense. The government is trying its hardest to say "We are here to protect you, trust us." while in reality they are turning people into sheep and taking away individual responsibility. The extreme of this is people expecting to walk down a footpath and not have to look out for anything. If they fall into a hole, or trip on a stick or something, they never think it was their own fault for not looking, but instead they want to blame someone else and get compensation. Some countries are worse than others at this. Not naming any one country in particular but from all the places I have been I see this most in the more developed countries.

So it seems that now some parents are content to trust the government, or society in general, with raising their children. The parents are either too lazy, too trusting and/or misled. Possibly all three. A bit of healthy mistrust would go a long way towards teaching parents to take back the responsibility and do a proper job.
retina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 02:14   #5
enderak

Feb 2009

2716 Posts

Really? 2.5 hours and nobody has pointed out this article from The Onion?

(Although, sadly, its not that far fetched.)

Last fiddled with by enderak on 2010-04-01 at 02:15
enderak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 05:10   #6
petrw1
1976 Toyota Corona years forever!

"Wayne"
Nov 2006
Saskatchewan, Canada

23·5·112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderak View Post
Really? 2.5 hours and nobody has pointed out this article from The Onion?

(Although, sadly, its not that far fetched.)
To whatever degree The Onion article was "tongue in cheek" is is not all that far fetched. Many kids really, through no fault of their own, really don't learn anything (academically; or socially) at home.

And it's not just schools: I've seen many other similar cases outside of the school scenario; i.e. when I had kids in and/or coached baseball it was sad how many parents treated me as their kids "babysitter"; they would drop them off (sometimes early) every game and re-appear sometime after the game ended. Rather than sharing in the experience and cheer on their kids it was two free hours for them while the kids were at my "Day-Care".
petrw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 14:11   #7
CRGreathouse

Aug 2006

3×1,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I have a slightly different perspective. Although I have no real difficulty with the concept of home schooling, the problem I do have is that a majority of the home schooling texts are steeped with "faith based" concepts, such as creationism. Many fail to teach the scientific method as they prefer to use "faith based" reasoning rather than logic. I suspect that this is a backlash related to the idea that public eduction is a haven for extremely liberal political learning.
Source?

1. [rogue has] a slightly different perspective.
2. [rogue has] no real difficulty with the concept of home schooling, the problem [rogue has] is that [3].
3. A majority of the home schooling texts are steeped with "faith based" concepts, such as creationism.
4. Many [home schooling texts?] fail to teach the scientific method as they prefer to use "faith based" reasoning rather than logic.
5. [rogue suspects] that [6].
6. [The use of home schooling texts containing "faith based" concepts?] is a backlash related to the idea that public eduction is a haven for extremely liberal political learning.

I'm willing to grant #1, #2, and #5. #4 seems weak enough to be surely true. But #3 and #6 are things that seem to need references (and possibly clarification).

Last fiddled with by CRGreathouse on 2010-04-01 at 14:12
CRGreathouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 14:18   #8
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

29·223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRGreathouse View Post
Source?

1. [rogue has] a slightly different perspective.
2. [rogue has] no real difficulty with the concept of home schooling, the problem [rogue has] is that [3].
3. A majority of the home schooling texts are steeped with "faith based" concepts, such as creationism.
4. Many [home schooling texts?] fail to teach the scientific method as they prefer to use "faith based" reasoning rather than logic.
5. [rogue suspects] that [6].
6. [The use of home schooling texts containing "faith based" concepts?] is a backlash related to the idea that public eduction is a haven for extremely liberal political learning.

I'm willing to grant #1, #2, and #5. #4 seems weak enough to be surely true. But #3 and #6 are things that seem to need references (and possibly clarification).
Here is a recent article regarding item #3: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/06...win-evolution/

Item 6 is purely opinion based upon comments from popular conservatives.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-01, 16:12   #9
Spherical Cow

Nov 2004

22·33·5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post

That being said, the article is disturbing because is paints with a fairly broad brush.
Be careful with the broad brush- its true that many home-school texts are faith-based, but many are not. There are home-school conventions and conferences, where you can sort through lots of different curriculums that are available. In our city, there are several large home-school associations, some faith-based, some secular.

I know one person’s story is always anecdotal, but one of the main reasons we home-school is simply the quality of the education here; Arizona is traditionally ranked near or literally at the bottom of all 50 states in dollars spent per capita on education. Tests scores are similarly low compared to the national averages. The local school administration seems to be continually sunk in controversy (such as convincing the taxpayers to approve bonds for specific items or work, and then spending the bond money on things not specified in the bonds).

I thought the Onion article that started this thread was hilarious, since it adroitly twisted complaints from both sides of the issue (home-schoolers and public educators) and made fun of both. One of the best humor articles I’ve read in a long time.

Norm
Spherical Cow is offline   Reply With Quote