Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Factoring Projects > CADO-NFS

Old 2021-10-21, 19:41   #1
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

24×257 Posts
Default CADO-NFS git pull doesn't appear to be sufficient

Note: The server in this case is remote.

I'm running into an interesting situation - I might have to send a note to the CADO-NFS Team!

I'm finding that "git pull" is not sufficient (even with "git reset --hard") for my installs. (I did include "make clean.")

(I think) all, but one, of my machines I updated so far with "git pull" have failed "make check" with:
Code:
445/581 Test #445: test_matpoly_u64k1 ...........................................***Exception: SegFault  0.51 sec

99% tests passed, 1 tests failed out of 581

Total Test time (real) = 963.03 sec

The following tests FAILED:
    445 - test_matpoly_u64k1 (SEGFAULT)
The one that passed "make check" wouldn't communicate properly with the server. I tried twice with a couple of the machines, before moving to clean cloning.

I have been having to start with a new clone to get a working install that passes "make check" and works with the server.

All comments welcome. . .
EdH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 06:24   #2
ccorn

Apr 2010

15110 Posts

If you have -march specified in your CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, e.g. -march=haswell, and your build machine does not support that (e.g. because it is -march=sandybridge), then some autoconfiguration tests go wrong. There is a related thread on the Arch User Repository.

Edit: Scrap the above, that would not explain why the clean clone works.
I do remember that they have moved to a Gitlab instance a while ago.
That should not affect the clones (an update like git remote set-url origin NEW_URL should suffice), but perhaps they did some non-straightforward export/import instead, changing the root revision's checksum, so the clones would not accept the new remote repo. I remember having had to re-clone some moved projects on such occasions, but I am not sure whether CADO-NFS was among those.

Last fiddled with by ccorn on 2021-10-22 at 06:43
ccorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-10-22, 12:50   #3
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

24·257 Posts

I think these were replicated from a single clone since the newer repository move, but git pull was working last year. However, I never ran a "make check" in the past, so maybe this error was always there, way back when I did my other builds and I didn't know it. I've saved some of the previous folders. Maybe I should try a "make check" and see what I get.
Old 2021-10-22, 13:06   #4
EdH

"Ed Hall"
Dec 2009
Adirondack Mtns

24×257 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdH View Post
I think these were replicated from a single clone since the newer repository move, but git pull was working last year. However, I never ran a "make check" in the past, so maybe this error was always there, way back when I did my other builds and I didn't know it. I've saved some of the previous folders. Maybe I should try a "make check" and see what I get.
I tried "make check" in an original folder and it doesn't appear to exist. The last time I updated the revision on all my machines was a year ago. I'm sure much has changed and "make check" must have been added.

I guess at least for now, I've got "brand new, shiny" builds. . .

Thanks for the reply.