Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > Prime Gap Searches

Old 2017-11-29, 20:07   #1
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

3·1,663 Posts
Default Double checking of Results

....was wondering if we need to double check below 4000e15.

Last fiddled with by robert44444uk on 2017-11-30 at 08:01
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 21:58   #2
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinhodecarlos View Post

Anyway, was wondering if we need to double check below 4000e15.
That work was done by Tomás Oliveira e Silva of Aveiro University. While he only double checked randomly 400 x 1015 subranges or 10% of the 4000 x 1015 subranges, he contrasted the number of Primes discovered against the number of primes π(n) obtained by variants of the Meissel-Lehmer algorithm. In all 4000 intervals there was no discrepancy at all.

Last fiddled with by rudy235 on 2017-11-29 at 22:03
rudy235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 22:18   #3
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

90910 Posts

It would be a possibly useful double check on our program, but perhaps best done as spot checks rather than duplicating the whole thing.
danaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-29, 23:07   #4
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post
It would be a possibly useful double check on our program, but perhaps best done as spot checks rather than duplicating the whole thing.
That is something that always concerned me. I believe that a totally random ( blind ) test of 10% of the ranges would be useful.

We have 6000 e15 subranges. We could chose 600 e15 random ranges, I believe Mathematica has a Random Number Generation, and test them, stipulating that no one would check it's own work. That would go a great length to guarantee the soundness of this work.

Last fiddled with by rudy235 on 2017-11-29 at 23:20
Old 2017-11-30, 00:58   #5
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

32·101 Posts

Seems like a new thread for this makes sense. This is going far off topic.

I was thinking just check around windows of the gaps < 4e18. Our program should find the gap. I'm unsure as to the value but it is cheap as long as the windows are reasonably sized.

For the spot check of *our* results, we could do the same (but I see no point), but what we probably want is checking that the recheck finds the same gaps as the original.

Alternately as you suggest just do random ranges. What you want is random selections without duplication, which can be done using Perl/ntheory's randperm, Mathematica's RandomSample, numpy's choice (though it can easily blow up in time and memory), and more. Ensuring no double check of own work is probably manual with our current non-automated methods.

In theory it'd seem like we'd also want more like "a random 10% of each partipants work" rather than completely random, or we will likely do no double checking of some people's work.

While it'd be nice to have full results from everything already done, I'm not sure how many people sent that info. What I believe we do have is the "largest gap" for reasonably sized subranges, so one could go through all the results and turn them into [version, parameters, expected value(s), participant id] tuples for small chunks. Version here is distinguishing between the "A,B" ranges vs. "A,B,M1,M2" modulo ranges. Then it would be reasonable to do the sampling from that set and assign the double checks easily enough.
Old 2017-11-30, 03:03   #6
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

1,019 Posts

Danaj : if you feel this requires a new thread perhaps you could open a new one. I do have some comments of my own but I will keep then in pectore for the time being.
Old 2017-11-30, 07:54   #7
robert44444uk

Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

1,979 Posts

The weakest element of our work:
  • we have not automated the reporting of results
  • the lack of a centralised data repository
  • the manual extraction of the largest gap in any given range of 10 "res" from the generated report of highest gap for each "res"
  • The incompleteness of the reporting of gaps >=1000
  • We are humans (last time I looked) and it is possible someone could be omitting or forging results

All of these weaknesses make the job of double checking hard because even if an error is found it may not impact the first instance gaps we find i.e. the robustness of the 25 or so gaps of this nature found to date and most will relate to the 3rd element listed above.

The most critical error would be if there is a hole in the logic for Robert G's program, which would lead to systematic errors requiring a total recheck of the range. The program has been looked at in detail by any number of people so I have not listed this as a weakness. If there was one it would most likely relate to the way ranges are stitched together (is this guaranteed seamless?); to the changing of program variables during the testing of a range; or the generation of the "worktodo" file in stressful situations such as power cuts.

Automating the reporting would go a long way to overcoming most of the weaknesses I have listed.

There are 234,057,667,276,344,606 prime gaps below 10e18. I for one will want to leave these be for now! Onwards and upwards!
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-30, 16:32   #8
rudy235

Jun 2015
Vallejo, CA/.

3FB16 Posts

My principal concern lies with the fact that probably nobody will audit the results ever.

In other words if (for example) the gap 1382 lies somewhere among the 6e18 and 10e18 and we have let it slip then when someone does find it at a higher range and an exhaustive search is done this find will go as a CFC, when it might simply be just a simple gap without much significance i.e. the second (or worse third) occurrence of a specific gap.

Of the many elements mentioned by Robert S I can only comment this.

As to the intentional forging of data I truly don't believe that to be a major concern. There is almost no benefit in doing that. Any record will be checked by both Robert S and (presumably) Dr. Nicely and checking this is very easy to do. So, only the intentional omission of a find could be done without the chance of being found out. But what benefit would that do to the culprit?
The other comment by Robert S does seem to be more pertinent.
The lack of a centralized data repository

I hope something can be done about this.
Old 2017-11-30, 18:00   #9
danaj

"Dana Jacobsen"
Feb 2011
Bangkok, TH

32×101 Posts

Robert: The weakest element of our work:
  • we have not automated the reporting of results

I was hoping to do an automated setup, but I don't have time at the moment. It's on my todo list but I unless I get a big chunk of free time to work through things, I won't be able to do it. Unless we're going to go past 2^64 we only have 8 ranges to go, so we can debate the worth at this point (albeit it would make Robert's life easier).

• the lack of a centralised data repository

Robert, did you have ideas? I think I could work on this with you but I'd like to know if someone has already collected all the various zip files people have attached.

• the manual extraction of the largest gap in any given range of 10 "res" from the generated report of highest gap for each "res"

With a repo of the results, this shouldn't be manual. I use a Perl snippet to generate the list from the gap_solutions.txt files, not gap_results.txt or a manual process.

If we had a central repo then all the row results could be generated and compared to what we have.

• The incompleteness of the reporting of gaps >=1000

My understanding is that this isn't possible with the current program (IIRC when we started it would report at 1000+ but guarantee results only for 1050+), but is complete only at a slightly higher number. Our current m1 is 1190, so what is the guarantee?

• We are humans (last time I looked) and it is possible someone could be omitting or forging results

All gaps go through multiple verifications. The endpoints are proved with multiple software methods, and the interior checked similarly. So the gaps we find are real. But indeed someone could be intentionally or accidently missing results. This is a benefit of doing a comprehensive double check -- checking that all the expected results are found. If those pass, then their results seem to be working. Just doing spot checks hoping to find missing large results is more dubious. Running either different software or using different parameters would be nice as well. I don't think we have any other software fast enough, but we could at least use some different parameters as long as they would get the same results (e.g. lower m1).
Old 2017-12-01, 07:31   #10
robert44444uk

Jun 2003
Oxford, UK

1,979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danaj View Post

With a repo of the results, this shouldn't be manual. I use a Perl snippet to generate the list from the gap_solutions.txt files, not gap_results.txt or a manual process.

Could you share the perl snippet? That would make my job easier!
robert44444uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-08, 22:15   #11
pinhodecarlos

"Carlos Pinho"
Oct 2011
Milton Keynes, UK

498910 Posts

Out of cutiosity, are we going to search beyond 16950e15?

Last fiddled with by pinhodecarlos on 2017-12-08 at 22:16
pinhodecarlos is offline   Reply With Quote