Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

19×269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
They should find out whose dog it was, and have a little chat with their homeowners insurance carrier. If that doesn't work, sue the dog's owners for all the money in the world.
Things don't work like that here.
I wasn't being entirely serious... I don't know of anywhere that things DO work that way. Hopefully your own insurance will pay the bills. Hopefully they won't raise your rates too much. The circumstances as described in the accident report may affect that.

If somebody had actually committed a moving violation that caused the wreck, and gotten ticketed, your insurance company would likely have held them completely at fault.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-28, 14:19   #13
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

10,103 Posts

It should be covered under the "Acts of Dog" claws.
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-28, 15:23   #14
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

24·613 Posts

Yuck. Mother life's a bihtc sometimes.

Hope you are ok and get well soon. Metal sheets not an issue, they can get bent back, and painted pink.
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-28, 19:12   #15
S485122

"Jacob"
Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
I don't know of anywhere that things DO work that way.
In Belgium (at least) the owners of an animal are responsible for the consequences of its actions. A dog irrupting on a road would be considered a fault because of a lack of supervision by its owner. The bad (?) side is that the compensations don’t reach the absurd amounts seen in some cases in the USA.

Jacob

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-05-28 at 23:22 Reason: xingif posty
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-28, 23:45   #16
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

19·269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S485122 View Post
In Belgium (at least) the owners of an animal are responsible for the consequences of its actions. A dog irrupting on a road would be considered a fault because of a lack of supervision by its owner. The bad (?) side is that the compensations don’t reach the absurd amounts seen in some cases in the USA.
In theory, the victim could sue the dog's owner for any resulting injury or damage. In practice, it's better if the at-fault owners just do the right thing.

There were two (non-traffic) dog-at-fault incidents in my neighborhood a couple of years ago. A neighbor's dog was friendly with people, but not well socialized with other dogs. It would go berserk if it saw another dog. It got loose twice and attacked dogs that were being walked. The first time, only the other dog was injured. County Animal Control documented the injuries and impounded the attacking dog. The owners got it back some time later.

The second time, the other dog's owner was injured as well as his dog. He had to go to the ER for stitches. Animal Control impounded the dog again. The owners of the attacking dog willingly paid the medical bills, and opted to have their dog put down.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2021-05-28 at 23:45 Reason: fignix posty
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-29, 12:37   #17
tServo

"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

22×132 Posts

I enjoy watching professional cycling. Every couple of years, you will see a dog escape from its owners and bolt into the peloton, even during the grand tours. It's very frightening to watch the results. Since cycling is taken very seriously in Europe especially at that level, the announcers will point out the serious ramifications for the dog and its owners.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-05, 17:35   #18
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22·3·5·11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurV View Post
Haha, I love the "I am not telling you yet" option. Brilliant, in the context of the topic.
I've watched the poll results quite closely over the past ten days, and the delayed gratification guys generally responded before the YOLO dudes. Maybe the latter group was too busy living it up to respond quickly? (yeah, I know, small sample size and all that)

I voted for a roughly equal mix of both. I've done quite a bit of YOLO stuff (see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/michae...57719215640091 for a sample) , but I've always chosen jobs with better long-term benefits over those with better salaries. I also prioritized paying off the mortgage early over buying fancy clothes, TVs, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBCurtis View Post
I chose mostly delayed:
The "mostly" is due to a car habit that is fairly serious- the denizens of my garage cost me more than I paid for my house.
Cool! That's like the opposite of me, though. I've rented/driven some nice cars on occasion, but the ones I've owned are fairly modest. My motto is "if the brakes, steering, and air conditioner works, drive it!". This has led to some interesting experiences driving clunkers with broken speedometers and bashed-in side doors, but that's another story for another day...
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-05, 18:07   #19
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1010310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
I've watched the poll results quite closely over the past ten days, and the delayed gratification guys generally responded before the YOLO dudes.
You have a gender bias in you assumption.
Old 2021-06-05, 22:39   #20
The Carnivore

Jun 2010

2×127 Posts

I didn't vote yet, but the responses are trending much more towards the delayed gratification side than the YOLO side. The opposite would probably be the case if you were to post this on a skydiving or van life forum.

But I do wonder what the results would be if you asked the general adult population in developed countries.
The Carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 18:36   #21
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

22·3·5·11 Posts

Quote:
I've watched the poll results quite closely over the past ten days, and the delayed gratification guys generally responded before the YOLO dudes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
You have a gender bias in you assumption.
I've heard people say "hey guys!" when the group being addressed is predominantly (or even entirely) female.

But yes, there is a bit of gender bias in my assumption. For better or worse, the participant pool for prime-hunting projects skews heavily male:
https://primes.utm.edu/bios/index.php?match=A
https://primes.utm.edu/bios/index.php?match=B
(etc.)
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-06-06, 18:57   #22
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

10,103 Posts

Quote:
I've heard people say "hey guys!" when the group being addressed is predominantly (or even entirely) female.
Yes, and often the speaker is female. But, then you tacked on the "dudes". That is doubling down on it. And yes, females sometimes use "Dude!" as an exclamation referring to another female.
Be aware of your audience, quite a few are not from the USA and some are English as a fifth language.