mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search > PrimeNet

Old 2006-09-07, 15:15   #1
Clyde83

Aug 2006

11 Posts
Question Reading Status Chart

I have a very simple (hopefully)question.
How does one interpret the numbers on the status page?
i.e. Are the numbers listed under "Factored, DLL, LL, unknown" columns the number of exponents still to be tested or what?

Are the columns moving right to left?

I have noticed over the past year the numbers under "Factored" is decreasing most times and sometimes has increased but under milestones it says all exponents below a certain number have been Double Tested.
What order should one track the exponents being tested according to this chart?

Could somebody please explain the status chart and how to read it in english, I'm not all that interested in the math aspects but would like to be able to track GIMPS progress if I'm to stick with this project.

A curious cruncher
Clyde83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-07, 16:29   #2
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

22·127 Posts

Here is my attempt at a simple explanation:

The columns you mentioned are:

Factored: This number indicates how many Mersenne candidates (from the Mersenne Numbers column) have had a factor found, so we know they are not prime. Once a candidate is put in that column it stays there.

OneLL: At least one Lucas-Lehmer test has been performed on the candidates in this column. Once two Lucas-Lehmer tests which has matching residues has been performed on a candidate, it is considered doubled checked and is moved from this column to the TwoLL column.

Status Unknown: Simply means there have not been any factors found or LL tests completed yet.

If you add up the columns labeled Primes, Factored, TwoLL, OneLL, and Status Unknown, it should equal the Numbers column.

I hope this helps...
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 02:49   #3
Clyde83

Aug 2006

11 Posts

Thanks, yes that did clear some of the confusion over the number totals.
I couldn't get them to add up correctly. I think the status chart should have probably been presented like this:
Mes.Numbers, Not Yet Tested, Factored, LL, DLL, Prime #found

That way one just reads naturally left to right when looking at the progress.

Another question for anyone who can answer this: Why are the numbers to be tested only go upto 79,300,000? Why that number and not 100M for example?

For a side note: To any other automotive engineers out there, the makers of car/truck transmissions are using "Prime numbered" gear teeth combinations to reduce vehicle transmission gear noises. They run them through computer sims to find the best prime combination for paticular gear ranges. They have also found this reduces vibrations at certain freq.

See Prime number searches do have practical/real life purposes. Keep Crunching!
Old 2006-09-08, 03:10   #4
PhilF

Feb 2005
Colorado

22×127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde83 View Post
Why are the numbers to be tested only go upto 79,300,000? Why that number and not 100M for example?
Up until a fairly recent version, the software could only handle exponents up to that limit. Also, back when the status page was designed, the speed of computers was such that testing exponents as large as 79.3M was unfathomable.
PhilF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-08, 16:01   #5
mfgoode
Bronze Medalist

Jan 2004
Mumbai,India

22×33×19 Posts
Lightbulb Prime gears

Quote:
Thanks, yes that did clear some of the confusion

For a side note: To any other automotive engineers out there, the makers of car/truck transmissions are using "Prime numbered" gear teeth combinations to reduce vehicle transmission gear noises. They run them through computer sims to find the best prime combination for paticular gear ranges. They have also found this reduces vibrations at certain freq.

See Prime number searches do have practical/real life purposes. Keep Crunching!
More important than reducing gear noises and vibrations prime numbered gear teeth reduce wear and tear on the gear teeth as the same teeth dont match against each other as often as if they were compositely chosen so the wear and tear is more evenly distributed. If the gear ratio is a:b and these are primes then the GCD is 1. so for every revolution the teeth match against a different one every time.
Mally
P.S. For a similar reason Mobius belts are used as they apply more surface for transmission.

Last fiddled with by mfgoode on 2006-09-08 at 16:07 Reason: adding p.s.
mfgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-09, 04:15   #6
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
I couldn't get them to add up correctly.
A few years ago I happened to notice that some columns didn't properly add to the totals because a few items had not been updated. I wrote to George; his reply indicated that he updated the table semi-manually rather than fully automatically, and had goofed that time.

But I presume you meant that you had not added them in the proper manner before you got PhilF's explanation.

Quote:
I think the status chart should have probably been presented like this:
Mes.Numbers, Not Yet Tested, Factored, LL, DLL, Prime #found

That way one just reads naturally left to right when looking at the progress.
Yeah. I could say that George set it up the way it is because his focus for this table was on the work that had been completed rather than that yet-to-be-done, but that'd just be my rationalization.

Quote:
For a side note: To any other automotive engineers out there, the makers of car/truck transmissions are using "Prime numbered" gear teeth combinations

< snip >

See Prime number searches do have practical/real life purposes.
Right-o. Here at GIMPS we're industriously compiling a table of potential ratios for gears with [insert multi-million-digit decimal expansion of M43 here] teeth, whose diameters would be [insert slightly shorter multi-million-digit value of M43/10^100 here] times the radius of the known universe.
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-11, 14:46   #7
Clyde83

Aug 2006

138 Posts

If the said gear dia. is a ratio of the known universe then I suppose we better send the guys developing the battery more pizza, because they will be awhile getting the rather large parts together to crank over this rather "BIG" Engine/Trans this gear will be used in.
Just a thought....
Old 2006-09-13, 10:30   #8
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

1,571 Posts

The status page gives a lot of interesting info.

I would prefer the number of rows to be bigger, and have a more linear or logaritmic distribution of the ranges, both options would be fine. The splitting of ranges could be based on the range (1 row for each 1 000 000 range f.i.) or on number of primes in the range (one row per 250 00 primes in the range f.i.)
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-13, 20:53   #9
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

37E16 Posts

To the veterans on this forum... I have been a member for about a year and a half now, and a viewer of the project longer than that. Maybe surprisingly, I'm a high school student- actually a senior this year. This isn't the usual demogrpahic you might expect to participate in a distributed computing project, let alone one that deals with mathematics. However, I must say that although math may not be my strongest subject, it is one I mind the most interesting.

Some of you may know of an academic program by the name of "International Baccalaureate" or I.B. for short. If not, it is a structured and rigorous curriculum that is internationally organized. Getting to the point, for this program and more specifically for one of its classes, I need to adopt and carry out a project that is beneficial to someone, or a group. The project is due around mid-November and I have not yet decided what to do. I have not found anything locally that I can work on, though if I dug a little deeper I'm sure I could find something.

My question is this...if it was decided that the "status page" could be redone in a new format, the table, presentation format, etc; could I adopt that as my project for my class? I.B. stresses the project matches the client's needs, or yours in this case. I'd design it to your specifications. Some of the things already pointed out where "having a more linear logarthmic distribution of the ranges" and how the data on the table is presented- "work completed" vs. "work to be done," among other things, possibly linking the table to the server so that it updates automatically once the desired format has been achieved so as to eliminate manual errors. Its whatever the "client" wants. I'm just putting this offer on the table, whether George or anyone else here wants it or can use it. If so, then I will check with my instructor for the class and see if the project is appropriate, and I cannot see why it wouldn't be. I'm offering because this is something that I'm deeply interested in, and doing the reports and write-ups are always higher quality when you are working with something you are passionate about. Thanks for the consideration.

Kyle,

A fellow cruncher.

Last fiddled with by Primeinator on 2006-09-13 at 20:55
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-14, 19:41   #10
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

/me attempts to send brain rays to the moderators: Let Primeinator do this for his project. Let Primeinator do this for project. The war in Iraq is necessary for the war on terror. The war..."

Hmmmmm, must have gotten the hypno wires crossed somewhere.
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-09-15, 02:31   #11
Primeinator

"Kyle"
Feb 2005
Somewhere near M50..sshh!

89410 Posts

Thanks Jasong, maybe if you concentrate a little harder... I actually feel kind of blown off. I put forth a sincere offer and I've been looking at the numbers- quite a few people have viewed this thread yet I haven't gotten hardly any replies. I'm wanting to do this for several reasons. First, I have a great interest in the subject. Secondly, this is for I.B.- a school project.

I checked out the other site mentioned, the NFSNet one, but I have no idea of what they need done. Doing a status for that project would be much harder because it is not something as simple as using the same form 2^p -1 for a given range. My preference would be the main GIMPS one. I could even incorporate (though is might be better done on a seperate table) the status of larger exponents- such as exponents that have been factored in the 100M digits prefactor and Operation Billion Digits. I have a number of ideas I'd like to implement, including a different color-coded scheme etc for where the project is currently centralized etc.

Would you recommend that I pm a mod?

Thanks,

Kyle
Primeinator is offline   Reply With Quote