mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Open Projects

Old 2008-05-21, 04:49   #1
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

350510 Posts
Default twin prime project

I know most people think I´m full of it with all the comments about Lagrange symbols and LLRing on graphics cards. But when I´m vindicated, or preferably before that, I´d like help with a twin prime search project for n=344208, in the equation k*2^n+c for c = + and - 1. I know it´s only slightly bigger than the Twin Prime Search Project´s present n=333,333, but my friend has used his knowledge about the stuff, plus a few terabytes of compressed data, to decide that that´s a tremendously better choice than n=333,333.

So, when you guy´s realize that most of the stuff(I say stupid stuff when I get mad) that I claim my friend said is right on the money and accurate, feel free to drop me a line and start the project. They don´t have to happen in that order, but when the project is underway, I´d love to be informed.

Cheers. :)
jasong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-22, 02:04   #2
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22×3×641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
I know most people think I´m full of it with all the comments about Lagrange symbols and LLRing on graphics cards.
Personally, I see those comments as simply being from someone who happens not to have previously seen all the facts about those topics that others have learned, just as the rest of us haven't seen all the facts about other subjects (in some of which you would be more expert than we). You have more courage in posting your statements/questions about those topics than many others of similar knowledge-level have. :-)
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-05-29, 21:06   #3
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5·701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesehead View Post
Personally, I see those comments as simply being from someone who happens not to have previously seen all the facts about those topics that others have learned, just as the rest of us haven't seen all the facts about other subjects (in some of which you would be more expert than we). You have more courage in posting your statements/questions about those topics than many others of similar knowledge-level have. :-)
(sorry for the late post. I went through a short depression a month or two ago, and that always seems to change my daily habits. Now, instead of being obsessed with specific DCing sites, it´s browser games and theinquirer.net :) )

This post was more of a public Post It note than an urge to jump back in the fray. I´m choosing to respect the privacy of my friend at the moment. When his health hopefully improves, then he can come here himself and set the record straight, although my impulsiveness has caused some of my postings to be utter crap, since my IQ drops dramatically when I get stressed.

As far as some of my past comments are concerned, he has a not-quite-ready-for-primetime LLR client in the works that runs best on some very unusual hardware.

Have a great day, people :)
Old 2008-08-13, 17:12   #4
rogue

"Mark"
Apr 2003
Between here and the

134328 Posts

Is this the same person who claimed to have a record prime last year? If so, I find any claims made by him (and by you on his behalf) to be dubious at best.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-01, 02:50   #5
jasong

"Jason Goatcher"
Mar 2005

5×701 Posts

Same project, but slightly different idea.

We know that various n-values have covering sets that will make them more or less likely to yield a prime. The person who picked n=344,208 used number theory to pick that n, he decided that that would be a better number than n=333,333, which is what the starter of the twin prime project picked. My friend said that, statistically speaking, n=344,208 was tremendously likely to yield a prime within a given amount of time than n=333,333, assuming the same amount of crunching time. As a matter of fact, I think he said that my 3 computers(I powered down two of them because Al Gore seemed very convincing at the time) had a pretty good chance of finding a prime before the twin prime project with it's 100 or so computers.

The problem is that I've never had a lot of interest in prime number projects. Now, the PEOPLE involved in prime number projects, especially the programmers and the people that like to discuss the various mathematical disciplines, THEY are EXTREMELY interesting. I've been frequenting this forum, on and off, for years. But I've probably only crunched a couple numbers in the main project. And at least one of those was a double-check.

(sorry for the branch off) Anyway, I'm hoping someone who understands number theory, specifically the stuff that helps people intelligently choose values for the equation k*b^n+c, will get together with a programmer(maybe the person's one and the same) and do a little bit of research into this. Because I think a Mersenne Forum project that chose an n-value for their twin prime project through logic, intelligence, and yes, I admit it, blind luck, would have a better chance of finding a twin prime in a timely manner than a project that picks an n-value because it's visually attractive.
Old 2008-10-01, 06:34   #6
MooooMoo
Apprentice Crank

Mar 2006

7068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
The person who picked n=344,208 used number theory to pick that n, he decided that that would be a better number than n=333,333, which is what the starter of the twin prime project picked. My friend said that, statistically speaking, n=344,208 was tremendously likely to yield a prime within a given amount of time than n=333,333, assuming the same amount of crunching time.
I doubt the person who suggested n=344208 is right, but there's an easy way to find out. Sieve a 100M range for twins to at least 50T, and count the number of single primes you find in that range after LLRing it.

For comparision, here's the stats for n=333,333:

Range 1-100M: 7 primes
Range 100M-200M: 7 primes
Range 200M-300M: 11 primes
Range 300M-400M: 13 primes
Range 400M-500M: 12 primes
Range 500M-600M: 11 primes
Range 600M-700M: 8 primes
Range 700M-800M: 12 primes

As you can see, there are about 10 primes per 100M* for n=333,333. If you find close to 20 primes for your 100M range, then the prime-rich n=344208 theory may be right.

*edit: on average

Last fiddled with by MooooMoo on 2008-10-01 at 06:35
MooooMoo is offline   Reply With Quote