mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Other Stuff > Wikis > Prime Wiki

Old 2019-01-02, 20:59   #23
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

Using another extension to show graphs in many patterns. The creation can be done with a template (only fill special parameters, easier to create) or directly (full choice to generate graphs).
Special templates can be generated for different graphs.
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-14, 11:14   #24
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2×32×157 Posts

Got the data from the old mersenne wiki and restored the old main page so far.

But I think a new design of such page is necessary now.

Almost all links/pages are not yet filled with data, it's quite a bit tricky to find the right data out of a 560 MByte SQL dump jumping through three tables until the current data is found.

Any suggestions for this page layout?
Old 2019-01-15, 19:11   #25
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·29·71 Posts

A while back I had suggested an overhaul for the main page:
https://web.archive.org/web/20180415...Talk:Main_Page

The image was a globe with the current WR MP imposed over it. The various categories would be around it. Like the "globe" languages here: https://www.wikipedia.org/

Keep up the good work reviving the wiki!!!
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-16, 10:02   #26
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

I remember that picture, and think I can do this.

Ups.... done.. see MainPage.

I left the old layout, but should be deleted later.

Further enhancements:
- some stats (number of pages, pics,...) printed in footnote
- project category could be done like to old table layout, not like now as only category entries shown
- page/banner for news/updates
Old 2019-01-16, 15:03   #27
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

22·29·71 Posts

I run a monitor in portrait mode and the layout is a bit off.
Also, (yes, I know that this is still not yet ready), the number in the center has the -1 word wrapped. I didn't dig around to see if that was a graphic or text. I notice that it is being overlaid as text. That should clear up with some better formatting.

Screenshot attached to show what happened.

I did some manual tweaks in the spacing and moved the MF link to the lower right for better spacing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiki FP.png
Views:	35
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	19677  
Attached Files
File Type: txt test1.html.txt (31.9 KB, 111 views)

Last fiddled with by Uncwilly on 2019-01-16 at 15:36
Uncwilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-16, 17:33   #28
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

Thanks... I've updated that layout... and just saw after that your test-html.

- changed positioning relative/absolute
- forum link shortend
- overlayed text elements with default cursor

On WIN 10 and IE/Firefox it looked yesterday not that bad. Now hope it look better on your system.
Old 2019-01-18, 22:52   #29
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

I've included (just as an example/test so far) the table for Cunningham factorizations for 2^n-1 and n<=1200 here (generated from FactoDB).

The problem in the old Wiki:
This table was designed as a normal page sized ~620 kByte.
The problem was/is: every change in any page (only one character is enough) the whole page will be saved in the Wiki database.
All changes (~70 times) in this page in the old wiki counted ~40 MByte in size in the database!

The upload as PDF now is only 370 kByte in size and the file is handled as a normal image: those will be saved in special folders in the file system. Uploading a new version will hold the current file, old files can be deleted. So the database won't grow that much.
Old 2019-01-22, 09:22   #30
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

54128 Posts

During restoring some persons from the old MersenneWiki I've found this ProofWiki with thousands of mathmatical definitions and proofs, symbols and mathmaticians, symbols and references to books. It's online since 2008.
I've included a link under the category "Websites".

Currently ~100 articles are restored so far. I've tried to adjust to the categories, but not all is done and many pages are missing (see WantedPages).
Will take more time to generate all pages.
I've not proofread all articles or checked given links, so these could be outdated.
Old 2019-01-27, 01:15   #31
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

Got the images from the old Wiki and by now there're almost 200 pages online.

Some things, what will be done different from the old Wiki:

- page with long tables of hundreds of numbers will not be included as page, but page with uploaded file (ASCII or PDF), Example
(The upload will be restricted because of spam/virus.)

- date/time format should be unified as ISO: instead of "November 2, 2010" -> "2010-11-02" or with timings "2010-11-02T20:15:00" for "2.Nov.2010 at 20h 15m 00s". This format is also available in the user settings of the Wiki. The advantage is sorting in tables or searching the Wiki.

- number formats: the delimiter in numbers differs by countries:
1000 in USA is displayed as "1,000" in Germany as "1.000" for example
So this delimiter should be replaced by a space (as on the main page in the Mersenne prime given.
What about of fractions? In USA Pi is displayed as "3.1415", in Germny as "3,1415" (the opposite of the decimal delimiter!). Suggestions?

Questions to determine:

- What about the spelling of names with non-ASCII charachters? Which to use?
As example Waclaw Sierpinski is currently given in ASCII spelling, although this differs from Wikipedia (see link at bottom of that page).
Preferred: Same spelling as in Wikipedia given.

- The display of math-equations is done by an extension, but this could take some seconds until completly displayed when much used on a page. On the other hand mathmatical expressions should be displayed as italic:
Example: "... the value n in the formula ..."
So here "n" could be inserted in the page as "<math>n</math>" or "'''n'''". The latter n is embedded of 3 apostrophs (that's italic in Wiki-language) and is faster than the math-notation.
Preferred: equations in math-notation, single charachters like "n" in Wiki-code.

ToDo
As mentioned I've just taken the original pages from the old Wiki, some links changed but not all text/formulas proof read, there could be errors in them. Most pages in the math category are from 2005-2010 so there could be new insights not present there. Especially page for the projects (not yet all present) or programs could be outdated.

Everyone can proofread those pages by now. The login will be accessible when (almost) all old pages are available.
Old 2019-01-27, 09:09   #32
S485122

Sep 2006
Brussels, Belgium

153210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
What about of fractions? In USA Pi is displayed as "3.1415", in Germny as "3,1415" (the opposite of the decimal delimiter!). Suggestions?
- What about the spelling of names with non-ASCII charachters? Which to use?
As example Waclaw Sierpinski is currently given in ASCII spelling, although this differs from Wikipedia (see link at bottom of that page).
Preferred: Same spelling as in Wikipedia given.
For the number format I would go the ISO way as well : comma as decimal separator and space as thousands separator. It will only be difficult for people used to the comma as thousands separator if there are just three digits after the comma.
As for names I would include both spellings : Sierpiński (Sierpinski). That way people can use one or the other to search : it will not be easy to type the ń for most people...

Jacob
S485122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-01-27, 13:10   #33
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

Those 'special' number/date format conventions should be mentioned in the help files for editing/reading Wiki pages.

For persons in the Wiki the search will find both, because the 'real' name will be the name of the page and a sort-name will be put in the category-entry at the end of the page like

Example: Jean Penné
Code:
[[Category:Persons|Penne, Jean]]
This is Wiki standard: the parameter gives the sorting explicitly otherwise this page would be found under 'J'.
see first image
The search 'penne' will find the page for person, the search 'penné' will find other pages with this entry, too.
So this is no problem for using the correct name for the page.
For other pages there could be a remark in ASCII notation which a search will find then.
A search for "penn*" will also find all pages.

The correct sorting is shown in the category for persons then:
see second image

For the input of special characters the Wiki gives helpful options:
see third image
As default the option "Prime-Wiki" is given, others can be chosen then.
The default can be expanded with more characters/codes like the German umlaut, the internal coding of the database is UTF-8, so every language code should be supported.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	search.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	19765   Click image for larger version

Name:	persons.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	19766   Click image for larger version

Name:	edit.jpg
Views:	27