mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Blogorrhea > jasong

Old 2016-12-09, 18:25   #23
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

2·32·31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajula View Post
Now at the age of 34 I am completely mortgage free, have enough money (partly invested) to replace my current car with a new one when I feel like.
Congrats! I'm a few years younger than you and still have to pay off my mortgage. Fortunately, my house is worth more than what I owe, and I don't have any other debts (student loan, car, credit card, etc.)

Quote:
However, I still would never spend $5 or $10 a week for things like Farmville. It would simply not pass my decision process.
I haven't played many of those "freemium" games, but I've never directly spent any money on them. Not because I can't afford to, but because it feels more satisfying to reach a high level if you know you didn't cheat or pay anything to get there.

On another (somewhat off-topic) note, I was thinking about the thread's topic of "normal adults" and allowances. To me, the hardest part of being an adult isn't paying bills or doing chores. It's dealing with all the unexpected stuff you can normally rely on your parents to fix when you were a kid. For example, what do I do if the car overheats? How do I get rid of those hornets in my house? How do I get to the doctor if I'm too sick to safely walk or drive there, but not sick enough to dial 911?

Last fiddled with by MooMoo2 on 2016-12-09 at 18:25
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-09, 19:31   #24
kladner

"Kieren"
Jul 2011
In My Own Galaxy!

3×3,301 Posts

With regard to the fasting comments:
I rarely eat anything until early/mid afternoon, and that is probably pretty light. The evening meal is my main nourishment. If I am working the morning shift, it means that I am on the run from about 7:15 until I take a break. Someday I will get or borrow some sort of device that would tell me about how much I walk in a 7 hour workday. I estimate 2-3 miles, not counting if I walk to and from work, which is about a mile each way.

Last fiddled with by kladner on 2016-12-09 at 19:35
kladner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-10, 01:08   #25
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

10101100111102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
YMMV, but fasting while doing some kind of activity isn't a problem unless that activity is strenuous and lasts longer than half a minute or so. Here are some of my fasts:

36 hours (longest one): I hiked uphill for 20-30 minutes to a spot where I could go ziplining. I felt a bit more tired than usual, but it wasn't very noticeable.

24 hours: Ran a mile at ~90% effort. Performance tanked a lot and was really tired afterward.

27 hours: Ran 400 meters at ~95% effort. Performance dropped quite a bit. Felt tired but not completely wiped out.

27 hours: Ran a 3k at an easy pace. No noticeable difference in fatigue levels.

24 hours: Ran a few 100 meter sprints at ~99% effort. Very minor performance decrease.
My exercise regime is somewhat different. Generally I ride for 5 to 6 hours each day in a single stretch, moderately hard. This burns 3000-4000 kcal according to my HRM & speedo. Add in, say, 2000 kcal for normal basal metabolic functions, and, say, another 1000 kcal for dealing with idiotic minions daily problems. I have very little fat reserves so skipping meals would likely have me waste away to nothing.
retina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-10, 03:19   #26
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

24110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retina View Post
I ride for 5 to 6 hours each day
Impressive.
Is this the first time in this place that you've disclosed how you spend a large portion of your daytime?
snme2pm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-10, 04:43   #27
MooMoo2

Aug 2010

2·32·31 Posts

Quote:
My exercise regime is somewhat different. Generally I ride for 5 to 6 hours each day in a single stretch, moderately hard.
Wow, that is a lot. Are you training for a competition, by any chance? Biking is obviously harder than driving, and I doubt I could work full time and still be able to handle 5-6 hours of driving each day (this is coming from someone who generally likes driving and is better than most people at long drives - I've driven 800+ miles/1300+ km in a day multiple times).

You can fast for 24-36 hours and have a lifestyle that's more active than the average person. But in your case, skipping any meals wouldn't be advisable.

On another note, my exercise program is usually longer and more intense than what I posted, but nowhere near as much as yours. I usually train for about 10 hours a week. For me, it seems to be the sweet spot. Less than that isn't enough for performance improvements; more than that gives me diminishing returns at best and injury at worst.

That training allowed me to run a 39 second 300 meter dash: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnhK2oM_HUQ
It's not a world class time, but someone running 3 seconds slower than me would still be in the top 1% of 20-29 year old men taking a fitness test: https://www.tucsonaz.gov/files/polic...rStandards.pdf
MooMoo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-12-10, 04:54   #28
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2×2,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snme2pm1 View Post
Is this the first time in this place that you've disclosed how you spend a large portion of your daytime?
No. And the assumption of daytime is not necessarily correct either. I have an awesome headlight/tail-light set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMoo2 View Post
Are you training for a competition, by any chance?
No. I just like to get away from the minions, mini-me and my fellow female co-conspirator for some evil thoughts thinking time.
Old 2016-12-10, 05:33   #29
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
the assumption of daytime is not necessarily correct either. I have an awesome headlight/tail-light set.
The possibility about dark hour riding occurred to me, and my query was intended to probe a response, even though riding about the country might be deemed less safe without sunlight.
How many lumens in your headlight?
A colleague, who is a frequent rider, reckons that 900 is bad form, and an annoyance to others on the road.
Old 2016-12-10, 05:39   #30
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

2·2,767 Posts

Quote:
How many lumens in your headlight?
I have 5 x CREE T6 lamps (three on the helmet (one spot and two flood) and two on the handlebar (both spot)) running at 8 watts each. I can only estimate the lumens but the specs suggest that would be 800 x 5 = 4000.

Last fiddled with by retina on 2016-12-10 at 05:41
Old 2016-12-10, 06:09   #31
snme2pm1

"Graham uses ISO 8601"
Mar 2014
AU, Sydney

241 Posts

Quote:
Wow, you might be well known in your area.
Presumably you don't hold lots of secrets that agencies tasked with following people for intelligence gathering purposes might pursue.
Old 2016-12-10, 06:16   #32
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

159E16 Posts

Quote:
Wow, you might be well known in your area.
Only to the local wildlife.
Quote:
Presumably you don't hold lots of secrets that agencies tasked with following people for intelligence gathering purposes might pursue.
No comment.
Old 2016-12-10, 08:37   #33
rajula

"Tapio Rajala"
Feb 2010
Finland

32×5×7 Posts

I have never really paid attention to fasting trends/studies before and now I noticed after some googling that I have in fact been practicing intermittent fasting most of my adult life. I rarely have any breakfast (except when staying at a hotel and during weekends) and my last meal is usually around 8pm, thus I have followed 16/8 fasting 5 days a week for more than a decade.. It is nice to find out that one is professional at something one did not have any idea about
rajula is offline   Reply With Quote