mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Math Stuff > Tales From the Crypt(o)

Old 2020-01-10, 23:25   #188
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

821310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewmayer View Post
I'm not getting the visual joke in reference to a phone, and I really, really hope it's not of the Obama-as-monkey ilk.
Dr S has the correct explanation below. There was no racial-ness to it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post

The Internet is heavily larded with pictures of all sorts of things gone wrong, captioned "Thanks Obama." I believe the picture is of that ilk -- the thing gone wrong being, trying to peel a banana. Another such picture shows a pizza that's gone through the oven racks (except for the outer ring of crust).

The banana picture is in a post referring to "Obama-phones," which your post clearly describes as a thing gone wrong -- and more closely associated with Obama than the everyday mishaps in the Internet "meme" pictures.
There are also gifs made from clips from infomercials.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-24, 22:21   #189
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101100000111102 Posts

How Washington Is Ramming REAL ID Down Our Throats | The American Conservative
Quote:
Since the 2005 enactment of the REAL ID Act, the federal government has helped bankroll the license plate scanner networks that permit tracking any driver on the roads in many parts of the nation. If Maryland decides to target people who received cancellation notices, there are almost 500 license plate scanners deployed in police cars and elsewhere in the state that compile almost half a billion scans of driver’s per year. If the order is given to use the scanners, a thousand people a day could be stripped of their licenses and potentially arrested. MVA spokespersons failed to respond to inquiries about whether license plate scanners may be used for enforcing REAL ID compliance demands.

The REAL ID Act specifies a “mandatory facial image capture” for every applicant for a driver’s license which must be “retained in electronic storage in a transferable format.” As Techdirt recently reported, “Federal investigators have turned state Department of Motor Vehicles databases into the bedrock of an unprecedented surveillance infrastructure.” The FBI is regularly tapping into databases with more than 600 million facial photos. But citizens have nothing to fear because, as the FBI’s Kimberly Del Greco recently testified to Congress, facial recognition technology is critical ‘‘to preserve our nation’s freedoms, ensure our liberties are protected, and preserve our security.’’ Ms. Del Greco did not invoke China’s example to appease apprehensions on potential abuses of facial recognition regimes.

National ID cards will do far more to control than to protect Americans. The REAL ID Act could enable the feds to demand far more information in the future. If Maryland or other states have the prerogative to cancel driver’s licenses because of federal demands for people to show up with their passports or birth certificates, there is nothing to prevent future cancellations of licenses for people who balk at providing DNA samples or submitting to retina scans. The Justice Department just proposed to begin collecting DNA from anyone (including U.S. citizens) detained at the U.S. border—an estimated 740,000 people a year. If another major terrorist attack occurred within the U.S., politicians would likely again stampede to grant any demands made by the FBI, DHS, and other federal agencies.

The biggest folly would be to presume that data roundups spurred by REAL ID and other federal policies will somehow keep Americans safe. Centralizing personal data in vast databases increases the profits and risks of identity theft —as plenty of MVA employees can testify. Federal prosecutors snared a guilty plea in August involving a scheme involving two MVA employees who got kickbacks to create fraudulent licenses for illegal aliens. In 2015, a former long-term MVA employee was sentenced to prison after she was caught issuing fraudulent driver’s licenses bearing the photos of her co-conspirators and “the names of real people, including victims who were citizens of Colombia and Puerto Rico,” according to the U.S. Justice Department.

In 2012, a former MVA employee pled guilty to conspiring to fraudulently produce and sell Maryland driver’s licenses for illegal aliens. In 2011, a former MVA senior document examiner was sentenced to two years in prison for conspiring to produce and transfer fraudulent driver’s licenses. Also in 2011, two former MVA employees were sentenced to prison for their role in unlawfully producing and transferring Maryland driver’s licenses, primarily to illegal aliens.

In 2009, a former MVA employee pleaded guilty to taking payments for illegally producing and transferring Maryland driver’s licenses. Also in 2009, a former MVA employee pled guilty to a scheme creating fraudulent licenses which included “inventing false driver’s license information from other states.” In 2008, a former MVA employee was sentenced to two years in prison for his “conspiracy to produce and transfer over 100 unlawfully produced [MVA] identification documents. In 2007, an MVA employee pled guilty for her role inselling over fake driver’s licenses. (To be fair, most MVA employees have never been indicted by federal grand juries.)

Massive databases of personal data will do nothing to boost the candor of the FBI or the competence of the TSA (which misses up to 80 percent of the weapons and mock bombs testers take through checkpoints). TSA agents are so lunkheaded that they routinely hassle people with driver’s licenses from the District of Columbia—as if that was a foreign country.
Re. the de facto internal passport requirement, it sounds better in the original German: "Ihre Papier, bitte", preferably with one or more jackbooted and uniformed underlings hulking close by, machine pistols at the ready.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 02:07   #190
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

17·193 Posts

The pigs here are using more and more "live" facial recognition: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nition-cameras
paulunderwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 04:19   #191
Xyzzy

"Mike"
Aug 2002

23·33·5·7 Posts

This is a real thought-provoking game: https://papersplea.se/

Xyzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 13:34   #192
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23×409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulunderwood View Post
The pigs here are using more and more "live" facial recognition: https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...nition-cameras
The pigs? I haven't heard that in ages. Makes me feel old, thinking about how long it's been.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-25, 15:19   #193
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

17×193 Posts

Quote:
The pigs? I haven't heard that in ages. Makes me feel old, thinking about how long it's been.
Old 2020-01-25, 23:08   #194
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

63108 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Huh. Never heard.
<google google>
First broadcast: Tuesday 15th May 1984

Like I said. And that's still well after the last time I heard "the pigs" used to mean the police...
Old 2020-01-26, 00:42   #195
paulunderwood

Sep 2002
Database er0rr

17×193 Posts

Quote:
Huh. Never heard.
<google google>
First broadcast: Tuesday 15th May 1984

Like I said. And that's still well after the last time I heard "the pigs" used to mean the police...
"I'll even kiss a Sunset pig" -- Joni Mitchell, California, Blue, 1971. Earlier than that?

Last fiddled with by paulunderwood on 2020-01-26 at 00:57
Old 2020-01-26, 02:18   #196
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

23·409 Posts

Quote:
"I'll even kiss a Sunset pig" -- Joni Mitchell, California, Blue, 1971. Earlier than that?
I'm pretty sure 1971 is too early.

I heard police commonly referred to as "the pigs" from the late 1960's into the early 1970's. By the time Nixon left office (August 1974) however, my recollection is that that usage was pretty much passé.
Old 2020-01-26, 19:54   #197
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
República de California

101100000111102 Posts

Quote:
I'm pretty sure 1971 is too early.

I heard police commonly referred to as "the pigs" from the late 1960's into the early 1970's. By the time Nixon left office (August 1974) however, my recollection is that that usage was pretty much passé.
I think by the 70s 'pigs' was supplanted by 'the fuzz' in the popular antiestablishmentarian lexicon. Or maybe I'm thinking of blaxploitation films and TV - ghetto hipsters dropping lines like "well, if it ain't the mighty fuzz".
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-02-03, 14:15   #198
retina
Undefined

"The unspeakable one"
Jun 2006
My evil lair

25·173 Posts
Default "Google Drive” would like to receive keystrokes from any application

https://i.imgur.com/Gi60T9T.png
retina is online now   Reply With Quote