mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2010-03-30, 12:31   #56
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

54128 Posts

I've just uploaded the new Version (now V0.72 for the DOS-script) with the no-connection issue solved.

- While testing pairs with cLLR, the script will not delete the results done when the server died. There's also a message on screen:
The file 'tosend.txt' contains unsent pairs!
Starting this script will submit those pairs to the server.

As stated, running the script when the server is available again, the results in tosend.txt will be sent to the server first, then new pairs received.

- I've changed the logging when cancelling pairs: now the cancelled pairs are written in lresults_hist.txt (and on screen as before)!

- I set all date/times of every file in the zip to 2010-03-30 07:02 (date and Version).

- I had to change 'README.txt, ''do.bat' and 'do_clearwork.awk'.

Please refer to the link in the first post to get the current version!

I've deleted the attachments in some posts (old version of script) to avoid confusion and also updated the post with the issue-summary.

Karsten
kar_bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 14:35   #57
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

186916 Posts

I tried to upload the latest version of do.pl just now but I couldn't connect to the server. I'm not sure what's up, though hopefully it's just a transient problem. (Those occur from time to time; maybe somebody in the ISP slipped on a banana peel and knocked over a server rack. )

I'll post here as soon as I successfully upload the files.

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-03-30 at 14:35
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 19:23   #58
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

236548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
I tried to upload the latest version of do.pl just now but I couldn't connect to the server. I'm not sure what's up, though hopefully it's just a transient problem. (Those occur from time to time; maybe somebody in the ISP slipped on a banana peel and knocked over a server rack. )

I'll post here as soon as I successfully upload the files.
You couldn't connect to which server?
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 19:25   #59
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·2,539 Posts

Karsten,

Nice work. Please upload the new Linux client version 0.71 to the 1st post link. Thanks.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-03-30 at 19:56
Old 2010-03-30, 19:55   #60
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

100111101011002 Posts

Karsten or Carlos,

Can you confirm that issues #2 and #6 in the problems log post are the same issue? If so, I'll delete issue #2.

We'll just need more info. on issue #3. That should be everything.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-03-30 at 19:56
Old 2010-03-30, 20:18   #61
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
You couldn't connect to which server?
The noprimeleftbehind.net server. It's working again now; I'm not sure what happened.
Quote:
Karsten,

Nice work. Please upload the new Linux client version 0.71 to the 1st post link. Thanks.

Gary
Now that the server's back online I'll do that right now. Edit: done

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-03-30 at 20:22
Old 2010-03-30, 20:37   #62
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

27AC16 Posts

Max,

Oh, I thought Karsten was uploading them to his pages. Heck, I could have uploaded it to the noprimeleftbehind server. One thing: I've changed all the commonly accessed links from no-IP to noprimeleftbehind on the 2 projects since they are synonymous and the latter is easier to remember. So I tweaked your link location.

Did you know that your quad did not connect to our Sierp base 9 port all night past about midnight CDT? I wonder if there was a connection issue on your end, which is why you couldn't get into the noprimeleftbehind pages this morning. I didn't experience any outages here.

A Perl hint for you: The -s command checks for a file > 0 bytes. That way you don't have to check for both its existence (-e) and whether it is not empty (!-z). That allowed the simplification of one of your until statements.

On the send results looping process, I looped until the tosend.txt file was empty (-z). If it never becomes empty, then there is a connection issue. As you probably know, LLRnet returns an empty tosend.txt file after accepting results instead of deleting it so I had to check whether it was empty instead of for its lack of existense.

Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2010-03-30 at 21:14
Old 2010-03-30, 20:44   #63
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

2·32·157 Posts

Quote:
Oh, I thought Karsten was uploading them to his pages.
I can do this, too, to be sure if one server is offline, the scripts are available on the other!

Quote:
As you probably know, LLRnet returns an empty tosend.txt file after accepting results instead of deleting it so I had to check whether it was empty instead of for its lack of existense.
I do this the same in the DOS-script!

The errorhandling and checking/reacting on those exeptions are most of the code now!

My first attempt for this script was 11 lines long!
Old 2010-03-30, 21:11   #64
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22·2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
I can do this, too, to be sure if one server is offline, the scripts are available on the other!

I do this the same in the DOS-script!

The errorhandling and checking/reacting on those exeptions are most of the code now!

My first attempt for this script was 11 lines long!
Very good. The same situation now exists on the Linux script with a large portion of the code now being for exception situations.

As they say in programming: We spend 95% of our time coding for 5% of situations. (Or it could be 99%-1%!) This is certainly no exception. To take the point a step further: It's simple to write a program that works 95% (or 99%) of the time. It's very difficult to write one that works 100% of the time.

Gary
Old 2010-03-31, 02:44   #65
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

624910 Posts

Quote:
Did you know that your quad did not connect to our Sierp base 9 port all night past about midnight CDT? I wonder if there was a connection issue on your end, which is why you couldn't get into the noprimeleftbehind pages this morning. I didn't experience any outages here.
Ah, that would sound about right. Last night it wasn't working but since I didn't have anything to upload at the time, I didn't worry about it; I then posted about it in the morning when I tried to upload and it was still down.

Regarding mirroring the Linux script on Karsten's rieselprime.de server, good idea. I'll do the same for his script and upload it to noprimeleftbehind.net--that way both scripts will always be available as long as at least one server is up. Edit: done

Last fiddled with by mdettweiler on 2010-03-31 at 02:52
Old 2010-03-31, 03:34   #66
kar_bon

Mar 2006
Germany

1011000010102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kar_bon View Post
Done.