mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Prime Search Projects > No Prime Left Behind

Old 2009-11-28, 22:50   #12
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

2·72·29 Posts

Is there a status page for this server port so admins can figure out whats going on here?

Nice one Bruce.
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 01:14   #13
Mini-Geek
Account Deleted

"Tim Sorbera"
Aug 2006
San Antonio, TX USA

17·251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDogBuster View Post
Is there a status page for this server port so admins can figure out whats going on here?
There are the public http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org:3000/ and http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org:3000/user_stats.html pages.
AFAIK (assuming no NPLB-specific stuff) there is no admin-only page with more info.

Last fiddled with by Mini-Geek on 2009-11-29 at 01:15
Mini-Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 01:44   #14
MyDogBuster

May 2008
Wilmington, DE

2×72×29 Posts

Quote:
There are the public http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org:3000/ and http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org:3000/user_stats.html pages.
AFAIK (assuming no NPLB-specific stuff) there is no admin-only page with more info.
Thanks Tim, I was looking more for a page showing primes found and a summary of whats running and a list or prior primes much like the current GB status page.

/http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/llrnet/

Last fiddled with by MyDogBuster on 2009-11-29 at 01:45
MyDogBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 01:48   #15
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×2,539 Posts

Ian, Max is in the process of working with AMDavid on interfacing with the main NPLB stats and creating such a page that you are looking for. Max, can you confirm that for sure?

Bruce, I am moving your prime to the k<=1001 primes thread.
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 03:57   #16
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

As for the status page, yes, I do eventually plan on getting the PRPnet servers wired into a page like what we currently have for the LLRnet servers at http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/llrnet/. Currently it's somewhat low on my list of priorities, though, since PRPnet's built-in status pages can suffice in the meantime.
mdettweiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 04:01   #17
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

141518 Posts

To answer a question that Bruce asked me in a PM recently and which I expect will be a frequently asked question: if you find a top-5000 prime on one of our PRPnet servers, report it just like you would with a prime found on LLRnet. That is, your prover code should include "NPLB, LLR, srsieve", and your name.
Old 2009-11-29, 11:09   #18
gd_barnes

May 2007
Kansas; USA

22×2,539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdettweiler View Post
As for the status page, yes, I do eventually plan on getting the PRPnet servers wired into a page like what we currently have for the LLRnet servers at http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/llrnet/. Currently it's somewhat low on my list of priorities, though, since PRPnet's built-in status pages can suffice in the meantime.
What is your list of priorities?

See http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...1&postcount=79.

I think that getting a proper status page set up and doing the interfacing to the DB for scoring should be at the top of the priority list. The problem with Bruce not getting Email notification of the prime is a potential nightmare. What if we have 3-4 servers and 4-5 primes coming in all at once and most of the primes are by Vaughan and Cipher, who solely rely on the notifications? (I also mostly rely on them.) Although you and I can look on the server files and see the primes that come in, other admins like Ian (or Karsten) need a web page that shows them. I will bet my last dollar that PRPnet will continue to have issues like this. Just the fact that Tim found an issue in the latest 2.4.6 release proves that point.

I don't want to put another major drive on PRPnet until the above is done.

The status and scores pages created by PRPnet are virtually useless for our needs.

Can you give us an estimate as to how long it will take to complete the interfacing and status pages?

On my end, I'm now making it top priority to finish building my computers by this coming Friday, which will allow a permanent place for our servers. I'll also contact my cable co. about a commercial account so that my IP stops changing.

Thanks,
Gary

Last fiddled with by gd_barnes on 2009-11-29 at 11:14
gd_barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 14:34   #19
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
What is your list of priorities?

See http://www.mersenneforum.org/showpos...1&postcount=79.

I think that getting a proper status page set up and doing the interfacing to the DB for scoring should be at the top of the priority list. The problem with Bruce not getting Email notification of the prime is a potential nightmare. What if we have 3-4 servers and 4-5 primes coming in all at once and most of the primes are by Vaughan and Cipher, who solely rely on the notifications? (I also mostly rely on them.) Although you and I can look on the server files and see the primes that come in, other admins like Ian (or Karsten) need a web page that shows them. I will bet my last dollar that PRPnet will continue to have issues like this. Just the fact that Tim found an issue in the latest 2.4.6 release proves that point.

I don't want to put another major drive on PRPnet until the above is done.

The status and scores pages created by PRPnet are virtually useless for our needs.

Can you give us an estimate as to how long it will take to complete the interfacing and status pages?

On my end, I'm now making it top priority to finish building my computers by this coming Friday, which will allow a permanent place for our servers. I'll also contact my cable co. about a commercial account so that my IP stops changing.

Thanks,
Gary
Just to clarify: getting PRPnet results imported into the DB is highest on my priorities right now. As I said over in the "Questions and stuff" thread, I'm waiting to hear back from Dave on that. However, what's a bit lower is getting them wired in to a status page like http://nplb-gb1.no-ip.org/llrnet/; that's rather similar to the built-in stats pages as it's for informational purposes only. In fact, the DB replicates much of that page's functionality, so once we've got DB import going, we should be set for the most part.
Old 2009-11-29, 17:36   #20
Brucifer

Dec 2005

313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd_barnes View Post
So what are you putting together Gary?
Brucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-29, 18:55   #21
mdettweiler
A Sunny Moo

Aug 2007
USA (GMT-5)

3×2,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer View Post
So what are you putting together Gary?
Gary's building two computers, one as a dedicated server box for NPLB, and the other as a replacement for his desktop which died a while back. The server is intended to run the stuff that is currently on David's servers (which he's shutting down next year) as well as the stuff currently at nplb-gb1.no-ip.org.

Since this will be running the noprimeleftbehind.net website and all of our other primary things, Gary's also getting a commercial-grade internet connection so that he can have a static IP address. The No-IP dynamic DNS thing we've been using so far for nplb-gb1.no-ip.org has been working largely OK, though whenever his IP address changes (which it does periodically, especially in the summer when his router goes offline a lot due to power outages) it takes a while for client computers to update their DNS caches, thus leading to up to a few hours of effective downtime. This should eliminate that problem.

Lastly, one part of the new setup which is already in place is a UPS backup for the server machine itself (currently it's on dumpford, which is running the GB servers until the new server's ready) and Gary's router, cable modem, etc. That should adequately protect the server from power outages of up to at least a few hours. Thus, theoretically the only outages we'll have to worry about are long-term ones (which probably don't happen too often in Kansas, where AFAIK they don't get too much ice and snow), and times when the cable lines themselves go out.
Old 2009-11-29, 20:00   #22
henryzz
Just call me Henry

"David"
Sep 2007
Cambridge (GMT)

13·19·23 Posts

wasnt gary going to do a test to see how long the UPS backup would last
henryzz is online now   Reply With Quote