Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

101001111001012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
There are reports that Putin is preparing to throw ten more battalions into the meat grinder.
Ever the Russian strategy.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-03-26 at 19:47 Reason: Correct mipsplepping in quote
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-26, 18:13   #233
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

1AA216 Posts

Quote:
ten more battalions into the meat grinder. Ukraine
Meh. 10x~500 ~5K is only ~3.3% replenishment of the initial estimated 150K Russian invasion force. Though I'm sure it matters to those 5K and their families.

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-03-26 at 19:47 Reason: Correct mipsplepping in quote
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-26, 19:42   #234
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

43×139 Posts

A story has been circulating online that an elderly Ukrainian woman gave some hungry Russian soldiers some kind of baked goods (reports variously say pastries, pie, or cakes). Eight of them died, because she'd added poison to the recipe.

I confess to being a bit skeptical. The story is supposedly based on an intercepted call from a Russian soldier to his girlfriend. One of the reports said the poison was zinc, which I find dubious.

But even if the story isn't true, it may prove to be inspirational if it gets spread among Ukrainians.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-27, 01:53   #235
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

43×139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
<snip>
Russians banning Ukrainian language, censoring literature, in Ukraine. https://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/ru...Ref=revcontent
Are there any actual news sources for this story? Putin's ambition of totally obliterating Ukrainian national and cultural identity is of course well known. But I'm not sure how they would expect to impose Russian language education in occupied areas of Ukraine, what with the students being refugees and the schools rubble.

Meanwhile, the Russian Ministry of Education has tasked Russian school teachers with indoctrinating their classes in Putin's "justification" for his invasion of Ukraine.
Old 2022-03-27, 13:01   #236
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·7·487 Posts

Quote:
Are there any actual news sources for this story?
You don't consider Newsmax a source of news? Sorry, could not find AP or UPI as credentialed sources linked to this reporting. The first linked-in-the posted-article source is a Facebook statement by Ukraine's Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense, confirmed by Facebook upon retrieval as the official account, translated to English for our convenience.
https://www.facebook.com/DefenceInte...Ref=revcontent
Would you have more confidence in content that was obtained and then colored by a journalist's misunderstandings & possible biases? (I'm reminded of the local "journalist" that asked me long ago in an interview if an auger's length was 7 feet. I immediately stated no, 3 feet. The story he ran said 7 feet anyway. The auger in question was right in front of us when that verbal exchange occurred. He chose to ignore both the evidence before his eyes and the highly reliable source he was interviewing.)
There's also Melitopol mayor Fedorov as a source, quoted in the Newsmax article. With a link to a Facebook video. (I don't speak Ukrainian and there's no transcript.) Translation of comments there seem consistent with the Newsmax reporting of suppression of Ukrainian usage in occupied territory, with attempts of imposition of Russian language.

Separately there's https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/13...h-palyanitsya/. What Newsmax describes is the occupied-territory extension of what Putin and predecessors have been doing in Russia.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-03-27 at 13:34
Old 2022-03-27, 13:15   #237
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

135318 Posts

Quote:
The linked-in-the posted-article source is a Facebook statement by Ukraine's Main Intelligence Directorate of the Ministry of Defense, confirmed by Facebook
Oh, Facebook! Sure, totally reliable. How can this be questioned?

I repeat my previous question.
Old 2022-03-27, 13:37   #238
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

152428 Posts

Quote:
Oh, Facebook! Sure, totally reliable. How can this be questioned?

And your basis for seemingly implying that multiple Ukrainian officials are just making it up and deliberately posting false Facebook posts on the official account (which would be akin to knowingly publishing false content on a government website) or making false video recorded statements in person is?

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-03-27 at 13:40
Old 2022-03-27, 13:42   #239
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1072510 Posts

Quote:
And your basis for seemingly implying that multiple Ukrainian officials are just making it up and deliberately posting false Facebook posts on the official account (which would be akin to knowingly publishing false content on a government website) or making false video recorded statements in person is?
Because governments never lie or engage in puffery, spin, or distortion.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-27, 13:49   #240
Dr Sardonicus

Feb 2017
Nowhere

43·139 Posts

Quote:
It appears that the only fact which Facebook actually checked, was that Ukraine's Intelligence Directorate issued a statement to the effect described. There appears to be no attempt at independently checking the facts alleged in the statement.

Could Ukraine's Intelligence Directorate possibly have fabricated the story to garner support by appealing to peoples' emotions? I would say, yes. Absolutely.

You may recall the "Iraqi soldiers took premature infants out of incubators, left them on the floor to die, and stole the incubators" story after Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait - complete with an eyewitness, and vouched for by no less than Kuwait's Foreign Minister.

EDIT: As to your anecdote about the inaccurately reported auger length, I would point out that between the reporter and publication, is the editor. Perhaps the editor thought that a 7-foot auger would make for a "better" story than a 3-foot auger. Still bad journalism, to be sure. Nowadays, though, "alternative facts" are all the rage with some folks...

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-03-27 at 14:34
Old 2022-03-27, 14:43   #241
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

681810 Posts

Quote:
The FB post you dismiss amounts to an electronically delivered press release from a representative of the Ukraine government in his official capacity. (Yes, fog of war, possibility of government propaganda, etc. Would quill pen on parchment be more credible as an original source?)

A web search yields other accounts (which you may be equally or more dismissive of) including
https://patriots.social/2022/03/26/u...upied-regions/
https://uatribune.com/en/russian-ter...d-territories/

And previously:
https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03...ine-russia-war
https://euromaidanpress.com/2018/01/...omaidan-press/

Also Reuters is reporting Russia planning a referendum in occupied territory.
https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...is-2022-03-27/

On the Russian body count: https://www.cnn.com/2022/03/23/europ...ntl/index.html

A Ukraine hotline and online resource for Russians to possibly determine the fate of their relatives: https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/07/e...cmd/index.html with photos of corpses and any documentation that can be found on them.

One of the aspects of coverage that has troubled me for some time is there is a great deal of western reporting about Russian military personnel and equipment losses including numerically, and very little about the Ukrainian equivalent.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-03-27 at 14:49
Old 2022-03-27, 14:59   #242
kriesel

"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×7×487 Posts

Quote:
It appears that the only fact which Facebook actually checked, was that Ukraine's Intelligence Directorate issued a statement to the effect described. There appears to be no attempt at independently checking the facts alleged in the statement.
Newsmax did that, with independent sources. (Mayor Fedorov for one. Sorry, I don't speak Ukrainian or know of a free online video translator service.)
Quote:
Perhaps the editor thought that a 7-foot auger would make for a "better" story than a 3-foot auger. Still bad journalism, to be sure.
That goes far beyond acceptable journalism, bad careless or otherwise. Plain dishonesty is not "better". The reporter was given the fact repeatedly until he appeared to accept it. Reporters, editors, or other personnel should not be substituting known-false numbers, in place of true numbers provided by the authoritative source.

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-03-27 at 15:01