mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-03-22, 13:06   #210
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

43×139 Posts
Default

Russian tabloid Комсомольская Правда (Komsomolskaya Pravda) briefly had a report on its web site claiming to cite Ministry of Defense figures of 9861 killed in action and 16153 wounded in the "special military operation" in Ukraine.

The figures were soon removed, and the report attributed to a hack.

Yeah, maybe they hacked the true figures from the Ministry of Defense before hacking into the newspaper's site to make them public...
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 02:15   #211
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

135318 Posts
Default Military losses

A man in Ukraine calling himself Igor says he was out on his morning walk in the nearby woods when he found an abandoned 9K330 Tor SAM system. He has claimed ownership. It seems he was briefly listed on Wikipedia as an "operator" of this antiaircraft system.

Found near Kyiv by the Ukrainians: the command module of a 1RL257 Krasukha-4 Electronic Warfare system. This may be of interest to Western military intelligence people.

The Orsk (Орск), a Russian landing ship, used to transport things like tanks and APC's was lost in the occupied port of Berdyansk. "Lost" as in "destroyed."

Last fiddled with by Dr Sardonicus on 2022-03-25 at 02:15
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 05:07   #212
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2×7×487 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post
The Orsk (Орск), a Russian landing ship, used to transport things like tanks and APC's was lost in the occupied port of Berdyansk. "Lost" as in "destroyed."
There are multiple amateur videos of the Orsk afire & with explosions, with one showing it cooking off rounds of some sort high into the sky, while two other ships depart, also smoldering if not burning; one minor, the other not. There was a report that one of the ships was damaged by debris (fragments of the Orsk). And comments that sinking the Orsk while docked reduces the port's capacity, reducing the rate at which Russia can resupply its forces by sea there. https://youtu.be/FXSPLmB87Dk https://www.westernjournal.com/watch...inians-strike/

Last fiddled with by kriesel on 2022-03-25 at 05:35
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 13:19   #213
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

597710 Posts
Default

It seems the destroyed Russian ship is the Сара́тов (Saratov), not the Orsk.

Meanwhile, the Ukrainians have been making counterattacks on the ground. They have pushed the Russians back to the east of Kyiv, and have retaken nearby towns to the west. (See attached map, extracted from this article in the UK Daily Mail. The article also has some fine images of a Russian tank suffering rapid unscheduled disassembly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battle_map.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	26688  
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 13:30   #214
tServo
 
tServo's Avatar
 
"Marv"
May 2009
near the Tannhäuser Gate

11000111102 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
There are multiple amateur videos of the Orsk afire & with explosions, with one showing it cooking off rounds of some sort high into the sky, while two other ships depart, also smoldering if not burning; one minor, the other not. There was a report that one of the ships was damaged by debris (fragments of the Orsk). And comments that sinking the Orsk while docked reduces the port's capacity, reducing the rate at which Russia can resupply its forces by sea there. https://youtu.be/FXSPLmB87Dk https://www.westernjournal.com/watch...inians-strike/

I have seen video on CBS news of Ukrainians firing shoulder anti-tank missiles ( Javelins? ) at Russian ships that venture too close to shore. These missiles pack quite a punch.
tServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 13:46   #215
kriesel
 
kriesel's Avatar
 
"TF79LL86GIMPS96gpu17"
Mar 2017
US midwest

2·7·487 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tServo View Post
I have seen video on CBS news of Ukrainians firing shoulder anti-tank missiles ( Javelins? ) at Russian ships that venture too close to shore. These missiles pack quite a punch.
Are they going out toward them in innocent looking small boats yet?
kriesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 13:53   #216
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriesel View Post
Are they going out toward them in innocent looking small boats yet?
I wouldn't recommend it.

Nothing is innocent until proved otherwise.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 14:18   #217
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502
 
Uncwilly's Avatar
 
"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101×103 Posts

1072510 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Nothing is innocent until proved otherwise.
Everything is dual use.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 15:33   #218
Dr Sardonicus
 
Dr Sardonicus's Avatar
 
Feb 2017
Nowhere

43×139 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
<snip>
Nothing is innocent until proved otherwise.


This would appear to mean, "Nothing is innocent until proved not-innocent."

Perhaps simply "Nothing is innocent" would be clearer.

And in the present context, that would make sense - I would expect the Russians to treat anything man-made approaching one of their ships in the war zone as a threat. Or maybe other things too - porpoises, sea gulls, etc.

But if this assessment is correct, it could be used to advantage. Yes, send "innocent-looking boats" or whatever toward the ships - as long as they're really, really cheap and nobody's on board. This could provide information on Russian defensive tactics, and perhaps get them to waste ammunition.
Dr Sardonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 18:44   #219
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11,489 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Sardonicus View Post


This would appear to mean, "Nothing is innocent until proved not-innocent."

Perhaps simply "Nothing is innocent" would be clearer.

And in the present context, that would make sense - I would expect the Russians to treat anything man-made approaching one of their ships in the war zone as a threat. Or maybe other things too - porpoises, sea gulls, etc.

But if this assessment is correct, it could be used to advantage. Yes, send "innocent-looking boats" or whatever toward the ships - as long as they're really, really cheap and nobody's on board. This could provide information on Russian defensive tactics, and perhaps get them to waste ammunition.
Badly phrased. Mea culpa. I meant that nothing is innocent until proven to be so.

The British dirty tricks department in SOE during WWII had some interesting ideas. One was to put explosives inside dead rats and then add them into coal supplies. It was never implemented but i wonder what they would have thought about seagulls.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-03-25, 18:48   #220
xilman
Bamboozled!
 
xilman's Avatar
 
"𒉺𒌌𒇷𒆷𒀭"
May 2003
Down not across

11,489 Posts
Default

Russian joke:

According to Putin the special military operation is really a conflict between Russia and NATO about world dominance.

What's the situation now?

Russia has lost ~7000 troops, 6 generals. 500 tanks, 3 ships, 100 planes and 1000 trucks.

Nato hasn't arrived yet.
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deep dive TF kriesel Data 27 2019-04-01 02:45
Drums of War: Ukraine/Russia edition ewmayer Soap Box 24 2016-10-05 16:06
Deep Hash diep Math 5 2012-10-05 17:44
Question on going deep and using cores MercPrime Software 22 2009-01-13 20:10
NASA's Deep Impact... ixfd64 Lounge 5 2005-07-06 13:46

All times are UTC. The time now is 08:56.


Tue Sep 27 08:56:36 UTC 2022 up 40 days, 6:25, 0 users, load averages: 2.50, 2.05, 1.58

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum has received and complied with 0 (zero) government requests for information.

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation.
A copy of the license is included in the FAQ.

≠ ± ∓ ÷ × · − √ ‰ ⊗ ⊕ ⊖ ⊘ ⊙ ≤ ≥ ≦ ≧ ≨ ≩ ≺ ≻ ≼ ≽ ⊏ ⊐ ⊑ ⊒ ² ³ °
∠ ∟ ° ≅ ~ ‖ ⟂ ⫛
≡ ≜ ≈ ∝ ∞ ≪ ≫ ⌊⌋ ⌈⌉ ∘ ∏ ∐ ∑ ∧ ∨ ∩ ∪ ⨀ ⊕ ⊗ 𝖕 𝖖 𝖗 ⊲ ⊳
∅ ∖ ∁ ↦ ↣ ∩ ∪ ⊆ ⊂ ⊄ ⊊ ⊇ ⊃ ⊅ ⊋ ⊖ ∈ ∉ ∋ ∌ ℕ ℤ ℚ ℝ ℂ ℵ ℶ ℷ ℸ 𝓟
¬ ∨ ∧ ⊕ → ← ⇒ ⇐ ⇔ ∀ ∃ ∄ ∴ ∵ ⊤ ⊥ ⊢ ⊨ ⫤ ⊣ … ⋯ ⋮ ⋰ ⋱
∫ ∬ ∭ ∮ ∯ ∰ ∇ ∆ δ ∂ ℱ ℒ ℓ
𝛢𝛼 𝛣𝛽 𝛤𝛾 𝛥𝛿 𝛦𝜀𝜖 𝛧𝜁 𝛨𝜂 𝛩𝜃𝜗 𝛪𝜄 𝛫𝜅 𝛬𝜆 𝛭𝜇 𝛮𝜈 𝛯𝜉 𝛰𝜊 𝛱𝜋 𝛲𝜌 𝛴𝜎𝜍 𝛵𝜏 𝛶𝜐 𝛷𝜙𝜑 𝛸𝜒 𝛹𝜓 𝛺𝜔