mersenneforum.org  

Go Back   mersenneforum.org > Extra Stuff > Soap Box

Old 2012-06-10, 14:22   #12
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

53208 Posts

Not really. A lot of people here see the bailout as frivolous. It socialized the losses after years of privatized gains. And at least NASA gives us interesting technology spin-offs that have positive real world effects. Not to mention inspiring kids to become scientists and engineers and getting others to respect them.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 14:28   #13
Uncwilly
6809 > 6502

"""""""""""""""""""
Aug 2003
101ร—103 Posts

29F716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
And at least NASA gives us interesting technology spin-offs that have positive real world effects.
Please give verifiable examples to back up this claim. Even though I am a space nut, I believe that this claim is way over used and lacks the data to live up to the hype.
Uncwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 17:22   #14
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

2×34×71 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncwilly View Post
Please give verifiable examples to back up this claim. Even though I am a space nut, I believe that this claim is way over used and lacks the data to live up to the hype.
Comsats? Meteosats?
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 17:42   #15
cheesehead

"Richard B. Woods"
Aug 2002
Wisconsin USA

22·3·641 Posts

Quote:
Even though I am a space nut, I believe that this claim is way over used and lacks the data to live up to the hype.
Have you, as a space nut, ever done a search on "NASA spinoffs"?

http://er.jsc.nasa.gov/seh/spinoff.html

Below are subtopic headings on this particular page.

Note that they are just subtopic titles, not necessarily specific claims of NASA invention by themselves. So, "Stirling Engine" doesn't mean that NASA invented the Stirling engine, but that NASA is developing improvements and variations. Same for "Athletic shoes". Read the page for details.

OTOH "Heat Pipes" _were_ invented by NASA. ("Heat Pipes for the Alaska Pipeline" is about application of heat pipes to the Alaska Pipeline. I don't know why that's a topic separate from "Heat Pipes".)

Laser Angioplasty
Cardiac Imaging System
Advanced Pacemaker
Implantable Heart Aid
Implantable and External Pumps
Temperature Pill
Infrared Thermometer
Thermal Video
Body Imaging
Skin Damage Assessment
Gait Analysis System
Programmable Remapper
Computer Reader for the Blind
Vision Trainer
Ocular Screening System
Speech Aids
Cool Suit
Advanced Wheelchair
Vehicle Controller
Human Tissue Stimulator
Blood Analyzer
Microbe Detector
Space Technology for Firefighting
Food Processing Control
Radiation-Blocking lenses
Safety Grooving
Lightning Protection
X-Ray Imaging System
Collision Avoidance System
Self-Righting life Raft
Landsat legacy
Weather Information Processing
Document Monitor
Corrosion-Resistant Coating
Air/Wastewater Purification Systems
Plant Research
Gas Analyzer
Microspheres
Power Factor Controller
Stirling Engine
Solar Energy
Heat Pipes for the Alaska Pipeline
Riblets for Stars & Stripes
ICEMAT Ice Making System
Cordless Products
Metallized Materials
Memory Metals
Stratch-Resistant Sunglass Coating
Heart Rate Monitor
Athletic Shoes
Water Filter/Conditioner
Pool Purification
Heat Pipes
Virtual Reality
Digital Image Processing
Structural Analysis
Parallel Processing System
Portable Computer
Fabric Structures
Flat Cable
Bolt Stress Monitor
Quality Control System
Nondestructive Testing Tool
Pressure Measurement Systems
Laser Technology
Induction Heating Systems
High Pressure Waterstripping
Composites For lighter Structures
Dry lubricant Coating
Diamond Coatings
Ion Generators
Magnetic Liquids
Flexible Circuits
Robot Hand
Clean Room Apparel

Other pages:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/nasalife/index.html links to:

http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/527945main_3...e_spinoffs.pdf and

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/Spinoff2011/index.html which links to:

http://spinoff.nasa.gov/spinoff/database

which contains both abstracts and links to full-text article PDFs of all Spinoff articles published since 1976.

http://space.about.com/od/toolsequip...lospinoffs.htm

Last fiddled with by cheesehead on 2012-06-10 at 18:01 Reason: added links
cheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 18:40   #16
jasonp
Tribal Bullet

Oct 2004

3·7·132 Posts

There are second-order effects too; make a surfboard out of space-age composites instead of hardwood, and suddenly people can become surfers even if they can't heft a 100-pound board. So is the California surfer culture a NASA spinoff too?
jasonp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 18:56   #17
ewmayer
2ω=0

Sep 2002
Repรบblica de California

11,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by garo View Post
Not really. A lot of people here see the bailout as frivolous. It socialized the losses after years of privatized gains.
They are much worse than frivolous, as they actively and richly reward a culture of rampant criminality, encourage even more highly-leveraged gambling and related fiscal insanity, and divert capital (even if borrowed into existence, it's still capital) to activities which are downright harmful to the real productive economy. And of course they serve to keep the underlying structural/market/macroeconomic problems which culminated in the 2008/2009 meltdown utterly unaddressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonp View Post
There are second-order effects too; make a surfboard out of space-age composites instead of hardwood, and suddenly people can become surfers even if they can't heft a 100-pound board. So is the California surfer culture a NASA spinoff too?
NASA could legitimately add "Bong-smoking California beach hippies" to its spinoffs, then.
ewmayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-10, 22:15   #18
fivemack
(loop (#_fork))

Feb 2006
Cambridge, England

2·7·461 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xilman View Post
Comsats? Meteosats?
Not exploration, and (therefore) not routinely done by NASA nowadays; there is a thriving commercial comsat market in which NASA doesn't really compete. Weather satellites do indeed tend to be procured via local space agencies because that's where the procurement expertise exists, then operated by meteorological agencies because that's where the data-utilisation expertise exists.

But I don't think people in this thread care one way or the other about the funding (which has indeed been insufficient in the last few years, to the point that planned missions to ensure the continuity of important long-term datasets seem unlikely to fly) of NASA's earth observation programme.
fivemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 06:49   #19
LaurV
Romulan Interpreter

"name field"
Jun 2011
Thailand

100111100001102 Posts

Quote:
Solder wick? Don't laugh! that was patented and produced by NASA first, maybe not truly their invention, but they perfected and gave it the form we have it now. And you won't have too much of a computer on your desk without solder wick... trust me, I am working in electronic manufacturing business, I know what I am talking about... Many people think to "big inventions", "sky scrappers" of the technical world, but they forget the big inventions are not possible without small inventions, like new materials, new tools... You won't have electric/hybrid cars without some guy who discover that some metal powder can adsorb hydrogen (used later in NiMH batteries) and you won't have sky scrappers without a guy who discovered the cement...
Now I am not the guy who tells you how you use your taxpayer money. I am not American and I have no right to give advices, but if there are a lot of agencies who waste money in that country, NASA is not one of them...
LaurV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 19:29   #20
garo

Aug 2002
Termonfeckin, IE

24·173 Posts

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for answering Uncwilly's question eloquently but in particular thanks go to cheesehead whose prolixity I have cause to admire at least on this occasion.

@Ernst: Of course they are worse than frivolous. They are downright dangerous but I was responding to fivemack's post where he used the word frivolous.
garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-11, 19:41   #21
xilman
Bamboozled!

"๐’‰บ๐’ŒŒ๐’‡ท๐’†ท๐’€ญ"
May 2003
Down not across

101100111011102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemack View Post
Not exploration, and (therefore) not routinely done by NASA nowadays; there is a thriving commercial comsat market in which NASA doesn't really compete. Weather satellites do indeed tend to be procured via local space agencies because that's where the procurement expertise exists, then operated by meteorological agencies because that's where the data-utilisation expertise exists.
Agreed. I was thinking more of the spin-offs since the creation of NASA as opposed to more recent benefits.

Last fiddled with by xilman on 2012-06-11 at 19:43
xilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-05-13, 06:52   #22
johnnn943

May 2021

2×3 Posts

I am not even saying how much resources were spent on that SLS. Seriously, it has been developing since 2016, and yet no one successful test launch. Even SpaceX which started much later is doing well, so the question is how long they will continue sharing money between themselves and launch that SLS finally
johnnn943 is offline   Reply With Quote